Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Who opens for test five?

Warner, Bancroft, Harris and Khawaja have all been terrible.

Too late to bring in a new guy?

Mitch Marsh's name has started being floated on the cricket board which gives some idea of the desperate times.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who opens for test five?

Mitch Marsh's name has started being floated on the cricket board which gives some idea of the desperate times.
We need to change it up to a right and left opening combo. Two lefties opening have been a complete shambles of an experiment and only seems to be fuelling the confidence of that Broad fella.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If I could open a new cricket thread, it’d be “what is your favourite Smith moment in this Ashes series?”

My favourite was a scene last night - Smith got done for pace on an Archer delivery and fell flat on his back. Instead of quickly getting back on his feet, he kept laying on his back for 10 seconds practicing some imaginary shots..

Last edited:

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who opens for test five?

I've liked Khawaja for along time but he just isn't consistent enough. Not sure. Hopefully we win tonight and it won't matter.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Who opens for test five?

Probably Warner and Khawaja.

Push Wade up the order? Marsh at 6?

Jesus, would it kill them to have a right handed opener in the squad ...

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is a concern.

It is first time in Australia's Test history that they have had 10 consecutive opening partnerships without reaching 20. Their last ten stands are: 0, 1, 10, 12, 13, 11, 13, 2, 16, 11
Bad figures no doubt.

I don’t think the Poms have been any better though. Suspect their opening numbers would be similar.

Reality is that, apart from a couple of world class players on each side, it’s been a bowlers series.

Quality of bowling is simply better than the batting and helped by some of the conditions

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I don't think they can pick Warner

Three ducks in a row to Broad. Contest is over before it's begun now.

Khawaja back by default.

Then they'll either recall Bancroft (again default) or pull a wildcard like Burns from outside the squad, or an even wilder card like opening Mitch Marsh.

The good news for the selectors is that you can't score less than zero so no option they choose can make us worse

I don't think they can pick Warner

Three ducks in a row to Broad. Contest is over before it's begun now.

Khawaja back by default.

Then they'll either recall Bancroft (again default) or pull a wildcard like Burns from outside the squad, or an even wilder card like opening Mitch Marsh.

The good news for the selectors is that you can't score less than zero so no option they choose can make us worse
Agree, Warner just has to go.

We need a right-handed batsman & can't be Bancroft as he was just as hopeless as Warner.

It should be Burns to reunite him with Harris, like it should have been from Test 1.

Not against trying Nesser as wouldn't be worse, though wouldn't we be better then asking Paine to open?

Question then whether you swap Khawaja for Harris.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree, Warner just has to go.

We need a right-handed batsman & can't be Bancroft as he was just as hopeless as Warner.

It should be Burns to reunite him with Harris, like it should have been from Test 1.

Not against trying Nesser as wouldn't be worse, though wouldn't we be better then asking Paine to open?

Question then whether you swap Khawaja for Harris.
It was the perfect situation for him yesterday but when I saw him left a few wide balls before he got out, I knew he would be done, it was a very good ball that got him out but his mind-set isn't the "old" Warner who would have smashed or attempt to smashed them.

Pitch starting to do progressively more as the effect of the roller wears off.

Might be a similar pattern for each session
Why each session? Wouldn't it just continue deteriorating now?

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Draw incoming. England lucky with rain, meant 2 early declarations.

Hoping Im wrong...Patty to rip through tail with new ball.... but Im expecting to wake up to a draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back