Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On ABC24 News just now:
"The Sri Lankans could not dismiss Dave Warner who had a poor Ashes series. Some have even suggested he should not be there, but he proved them wrong". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah-nah.
What Warner proved is that he's hopeless in English swinging/seaming conditions against good bowling (Broad), but can really smack the ball around on benign Aussie T20 wickets.
Which most of us knew already.

Is John Who now reporting for the ABC. ;)

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
So much for Pakistan the No 1 ranked T20 team in the world. Haven't given a yelp....

Are SL and Pakistan really, really bad, or are the Aussies really, really good? eg I've never really thought of SSmith as a T20 player, but the bloke has re-invented himself, playing shots I've never seen before o_O o_O
Game 2 vs Pakistan, he stepped well to the leg before one delivery, copped a very high bouncer which he 'glided' off the bat held way high for 6, over fine leg!!
Whaaaaaaat ....??
*CLUNKTHUD* <== me, falling back off my recliner :drunk::drunk:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are SL and Pakistan really, really bad, or are the Aussies really, really good? eg I've never really thought of SSmith as a T20 player, but the bloke has re-invented himself, playing shots I've never seen before o_O o_O
Game 2 vs Pakistan, he stepped well to the leg before one delivery, copped a very high bouncer which he 'glided' off the bat held way high for 6, over fine leg!!
Whaaaaaaat ....??
*CLUNKTHUD* <== me, falling back off my recliner :drunk::drunk:
Smith is one of the king of unorthodox shots, it really shouldn’t be much of a surprise if you think about all the crazy shots he’s done during Test matches!

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I wasn't sure of Smith at 3, but he looks fantastic as he can take the innings in whatever direction it needs.

I think we're looking okay for the World Cup.

I like the top three. I like Maxwell as one of the middle order. I like Carey at six and Agar at 7, and I like Cummins and Starc in there.

The final question is - who is the other middle order batsman? Who's the third quick? Do we play Zampa? Do we do four bowlers and two all-rounders or five bowlers?

Good spot to be so settled though.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wasn't sure of Smith at 3, but he looks fantastic as he can take the innings in whatever direction it needs.

I think we're looking okay for the World Cup.

I like the top three. I like Maxwell as one of the middle order. I like Carey at six and Agar at 7, and I like Cummins and Starc in there.

The final question is - who is the other middle order batsman? Who's the third quick? Do we play Zampa? Do we do four bowlers and two all-rounders or five bowlers?

Good spot to be so settled though.
World Cup is another 4 years. Not sure if the top 3 will still be around by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Ftfy :)
How about Travis Head?
Stanlake? Richardson?
Yes.
4 + 2.
I reckon they roll with five bowlers - that seems to be the current plan, and I quite like it, if we have Agar at 7 and Cummins/Starc to swing as tailenders.

Maybe Head? I think more power hitting would be good though.

I reckon they roll with five bowlers - that seems to be the current plan, and I quite like it, if we have Agar at 7 and Cummins/Starc to swing as tailenders.

Maybe Head? I think more power hitting would be good though.
Remember Head on NYE a few years ago?

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Still hoping Travis Head sneaks in but I have my doubts :(
Pakistan might bat into the third day (7/400-odd, with both centurions 'retired'). Head/Pucovski won't get a great chance to bat for the #6 poz.

Head is really the architect of his own precarious position, having slashed at too many wide balls in England before he was dropped. I prefer him on Aussie wickets, especially Adelaide, but Pucovski may well be given the chance against an inexperienced Pakistani bowling attack.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
What I'm most looking forward to is watching Smith bat again. His 59* off 217 balls shows ominous crease-occupying intent.
(Edit: I don't have details but Ch10 News just reported he got his slowest ever Shield ton. He explained the wicket was slow, no slips, tough to bat on.)

Last edited:

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Burns in squad and will open with Warner because
--- they know each other well and are good friends
--- they are a L-R opening combo
No mention from Hohns wrt Burns of 'in-form' or 'making Shield runs'.
Warner (Langer's in love with Warner) and Khawaja both failed in Pommieland, but the latter is stiff because he can be relied on to make runs at home

Bancroft is also back. What the actual f**k??
Hohns: "The improvement in his game is quite noticeable". I think "quite" for Hohns means "barely", since Bancroft has scored 30, 0, 10, 6*, 0, 11, 49 this season (Shield/Australia A).
Head made the squad as well. He must have learned not to slash at wide balls in the last 24 hours :rolleyes:.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Burns in squad and will open with Warner because
--- they know each other well and are good friends
--- they are a L-R opening combo
No mention from Hohns wrt Burns of 'in-form' or 'making Shield runs'.
Warner (Langer's in love with Warner) and Khawaja both failed in Pommieland, but the latter is stiff because he can be relied on to make runs at home

Bancroft is also back. What the actual f**k??
Hohns: "The improvement in his game is quite noticeable". I think "quite" for Hohns means "barely", since Bancroft has scored 30, 0, 10, 6*, 0, 11, 49 this season (Shield/Australia A).
Head made the squad as well. He must have learned not to slash at wide balls in the last 24 hours :rolleyes:.
Bancroft was picked because he was the only top-6 batsman to make double figures against Pakistan, in the Australia-A game last weekend. The selectors openly stated that 2 positions were up for grabs, and Bancroft was easily the best performed of the batsmen involved.

That said, he was only picked for the game after Maddinson pulled out, and his Shield form this season has been diabolical...

It's not as if the selectors actually had a lot of in-form players to choose from. :(

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Bancroft was picked because he was the only top-6 batsman to make double figures against Pakistan, in the Australia-A game last weekend. The selectors openly stated that 2 positions were up for grabs, and Bancroft was easily the best performed of the batsmen involved.
That said, he was only picked for the game after Maddinson pulled out, and his Shield form this season has been diabolical...
It's not as if the selectors actually had a lot of in-form players to choose from. :(
Yeah, 49 out of 122 after they were 9/57 ffs, while the Pakistan batsmen feasted previously.
Burns was probably stiff to lose out on the Ashes gig and his 180 vs. Sri Lanka @ Canberra was strong, plus the Gabba is his home ground I think.
It's true, we don't have a lot of run-making, crease-occupying batsmen pushing for selection right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back