hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It is also because they average more runs against because they pitch the ball up, so therefore deliver more "4 balls" than the 6 foot 3 inch 145km/h short pitch/bouncer bowlers that we pick, that for the most part look ineffective.
Takes a lot more physical effort to bowl short, and you could tell by halfway through the final day in Melbourne they were spent.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Dale Steyn and Jimmy Anderson would never have been selected for us.
Steyn in his early days would've, he was real quick.

Saw the Redbacks lads and coaches along with Boof today down at KRO..... **** me Wes Agar is a massive lad.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
No swing bowlers is The McGrath Effect
It's very dangerous to base a theory on one of the greatest bowlers ever seen. It's the same theory that's seen us relentlessly chase an all-rounder since the 2005 Ashes and only now has one potentially come along.

We need a variety of skill in the game.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
At ODI level
Correct weight.

There would be about half a dozen great all-rounders in the history of test cricket, not many more. We have had one. We are looking for something that may never come along.

Miller
Sobers
Kallis
Flintoff
Stokes
Botham
Dev
Khan
Hadlee

Feel free to add to that list

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
His test avgs were still very good. He just couldn't convert his many 50s into tons.
75 wickets at test level is useful, but does not put you in to a category of being a very good all rounder at test level.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Correct weight.

There would be about half a dozen great all-rounders in the history of test cricket, not many more. We have had one. We are looking for something that may never come along.

Miller
Sobers
Kallis
Flintoff
Stokes
Botham
Dev
Khan
Hadlee

If you're adding Stokes, you have to have Watson.
Their stats are extremely similar.

FWIW Stokes is the one on that list that doesn't stand out.

Shahid Afridi, Chris Cairns, Shakib al Hasan all could be in the conversation as well.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Jason Gillespie will tell you he's a Test all rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Probably true, but he's done it longer than Watson did.

I mean he virtually saved them single-handedly from a 4 zip defeat in the last Ashes.

Correct weight.

Miller
Sobers
Kallis
Flintoff
Stokes
Botham
Dev
Khan
Hadlee

Good list.

Akram too.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Shahid Afridi, Chris Cairns, Shakib al Hasan all could be in the conversation as well.
Might be an early call on Stokes, though I think he will be in that company one day. You most certainly do not have to have Watson if you are having Stokes on there. Stokes has twice the number of wickets than Watson with a greater average in only 10 more tests. Otherwise you may as well add Lance Klusener on there as well.

Afridi only played 27 tests, and only taken 48 test wickets. It is an insult to the guys mentioned above to have mention Afridi in the same breath. Cairns I don't is quite in that company on the list I mentioned, though is a fine players in his own right.

Shakib's figures are certainly worthy of potentially throwing in the mix. Though the opposition that he has played against, and where he has played that opposition, may skew those figures somewhat.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Good list.

Akram too.
Thank you.

Thought about Akram, but averaged under 23 with the bat, which was a bit low for mine, though I suspect was a fair bit higher earlier in his career. Would have Pollock ahead of him, who averaged 32 with the bat.

Thank you.

Thought about Akram, but averaged under 23 with the bat, which was a bit low for mine, though I suspect was a fair bit higher earlier in his career. Would have Pollock ahead of him, who averaged 32 with the bat.
I can recall the 1st time he played at Adelaide Oval & destroyed our attack with a century & some big straight sixes.

Think he took a 5 for too.

You are right in saying he didn't put as much into his batting later in his career & should have had a higher average. Would have thought similar to Hadlee.

Ravi Jadeja and Jason Holder go alright too.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Spin is ripping India apart, and not even good spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back