Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I right in saying if England beat India 2 - 1 or better we will finish second in the test championships?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Same being said about England.

4 for 50

Lyon has taken a bucket load of wickets in India. One of his more recent performances over there he took 13 wickets in a match. We just don’t produce pitches that suit him in Australia.

I don't buy that at all.

Nathan Lyon has a career bowling average of 32.05 in Australia, 31.62 in England, and 30.95 in India. I don't think there is anything against India to suggest something other then Lyon had a down series, something that does happen to every cricketer every now and then.

Maybe says a little too much about Nathan Lyon.

It says absolutely nothing at all about Lyon.
It's clearly a rampant spinner's wicket. As might be expected, since India's spinners are much better than England's, England are all out for 134 and India are a monty to win.

If Australia had been playing instead of India, I would expect us to be all out for well less than 134, since we can't play spin at all.

If you're adding Stokes, you have to have Watson.
Their stats are extremely similar.

FWIW Stokes is the one on that list that doesn't stand out.

Shahid Afridi, Chris Cairns, Shakib al Hasan all could be in the conversation as well.
Al Hasen would be spoken about as one of the best ever if he'd played for a traditional cricket team

31 with the ball, 39 with the Bat.

Would walk into the Aussie test 11 as our spinner

Lyon wasn't terrible but someone with his experience should be able to restrict scoring and eventually force mistakes.
Doesn't help also when bowlers like Starc don't have the patience to set a batsman up and bowl so many 4 balls.

Lyon did the first part well, averaged 2.65 runs an over against India (0.34 below his average), and his 9th most restrictive series he's bowled (out of 35). It just didn't translate to wickets, for whatever reason (and I'm willing to just attribute it to bad luck).

He's bowled worse against India and got 15-25 wickets in a series.

Last edited:
The home umpiring in India has been pretty terrible.

The other day the Indians went up in unison to appeal and in one camera angle you could see the square leg umpire also go up, disgraceful stuff.
Really? Haha that's hilarious

The far reaching impact of Covid!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

England were actually given a review back because the match ref saw how ridiculous a rejected review was.

There's nothing in the rule that allowed the decision to be overturned afterwards. There's something about reviews being returned.

What happened is the umpire reviewed for caught off the bat and LBW, but didn't go far enough in the footage to see the glove. Not clear if umpire or broadcaster footage issue.

The offering a shot LBW was also ridiculous.
Wow.
Why didn’t they overturn the decision if they gave them the review back?
Or was it a while after?

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Came clear off the glove of the batsman, English fielder caught it. Given not out, England reviewed and the evidence was conclusive.

Indian 3rd umpire gave it not out.
Probably more important for the 3rd umpire to be neutral.

Probably more important for the 3rd umpire to be neutral.
There was no doubt that the batsman was out, and the 3rd umpire got it wrong. The only question was whether this should be attributed to incompetence or bias. Never attribute anything to malice, which can be easily explained by incompetence.

Either way, neither the officiating or video umpire should be in charge of any further matches in the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back