brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
There was no doubt that the batsman was out, and the 3rd umpire got it wrong. The only question was whether this should be attributed to incompetence or bias. Never attribute anything to malice, which can be easily explained by incompetence.

Either way, neither the officiating or video umpire should be in charge of any further matches in the foreseeable future.

There's probably an element of bias, but I'd dare say it's more incompetence.

The Indians have never been renowned for having quality umpires (hence their absence from the Elite panel despite being the largest cricketing country). It would be akin to FIFA not having any English referees accredited for internationals.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
There was another one where the Indian batsman didn't play a shot, very clearly had his bat behind his pad, was not playing a shot. England appeal for LBW, given not out, it hit outside the line of off, went for the review and the umpires say the batsman was playing a shot.

Is Dominic Thornley back for NSW today?

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was another one where the Indian batsman didn't play a shot, very clearly had his bat behind his pad, was not playing a shot. England appeal for LBW, given not out, it hit outside the line of off, went for the review and the umpires say the batsman was playing a shot.

Is Dominic Thornley back for NSW today?
'Offering a shot' is not reviewable. Once that isthe reason the field umpire gave it not out it was not out it can't be overturned on review.

Of course by the rules the field umpire isn't supposed to say why it's not out, but the umpires often told Lyon during the test series.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
'Offering a shot' is not reviewable. Once that isthe reason the field umpire gave it not out it was not out it can't be overturned on review.

Of course by the rules the field umpire isn't supposed to say why it's not out, but the umpires often told Lyon during the test series.
The umpires do have to tell them now I believe, in regards to whether he adjudged that they'd played a shot anyway

NSW beaten by Victoria, despite Smith, Hazlewood, Lyon, etc all playing.

Starc needs to retire from the longer format.

NSW beaten by Victoria, despite Smith, Hazlewood, Lyon, etc all playing.

Starc needs to retire from the longer format.
In a match dominated by the ball, Starc was once again complete rubbish.

At least Lyon offered something

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Lyon took 10fa but having a look at his first innings, a lot were the tail having a slog.

Starc is tracking poorly, time to get red ball bowlers with skill rather than pure pace....which is falling

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I wouldn't. I don't think that is a luxury you can afford. I feel Cummins and Hazlewood pick themselves.

Though it is not without merit.

Also throw Neser on the mix.
Agar too IMO

I wouldn't. I don't think that is a luxury you can afford. I feel Cummins and Hazlewood pick themselves.

Though it is not without merit.

Also throw Neser on the mix.
Not rotating the quicks cost us the last series!

Maybe. It may have been a factor, but was not the sole reason. I thought they just didn't challenge the batsman often enough. Bowled too short as much as anything.
The Indians played their 2nd string attack who bowled better than our 1st string attack once they were tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back