Status
Not open for further replies.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
So looking through the Redbacks contracted player list, this is what I would do:

Head CA deal
Agar retain
Bosisto delist. He's a meh cricketer for mine. Good grade player only.
Carey CA deal
Cooper delist
Davis delist
Dickman (rookie) delist
Drew delist
Ferguson delist (maybe they keep him for white ball stuff?)
Grant retain
Hunt retain
C Kelly (rookie) retain
T Kelly (rookie) retain
Lehmann Hmmmm.... I guess retain
McInerney delist
Mennie delist
Nielsen retain
Oakley (rookie) delist
Pope retain
Richardson CA deal
Robins delist
Sayers retired
Scott (rookie) upgrade
Valente Hmmm... unsure here. Probably delist.
Weatherald retain
Winter delist
Worrall retain

Should leave plenty of cap space to poach a couple of players. Need to attract one batsman (is Renshaw already in the bank?) and at least one bowler - pace or a spinner too, depending on where they see Pope's development at. Also raid any 19-21 year olds stuck in the queue at NSW, Qld and Vic.

From grade cricket add:
Ryan Gibson
Sam Kerber
Bailey Capel (rookie)
Isaac Conway
Ryan King (rookie)
Zac Worden (rookie)

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
I've noticed in some recent broadcasts when they have been showing all time records, highest 5th wicket partnerships of all time etc. They include women's cricket.

Can't remember the exact partnership record they showed, but for example they had the list like this:

3rd: 306 Chanderpaul/Lara Adelaide 1998
4th: 285 Lanning/Perry Brisbane 2019

The women's team streak has been reported similarly. I don't think I agree with this.

Test cricket is the highest level of cricket, it's not a men's competition. There's nothing stopping the selectors picking a woman, is there?

If there is a rule to prevent women from being selected, remove that rule.

I've noticed in some recent broadcasts when they have been showing all time records, highest 5th wicket partnerships of all time etc. They include women's cricket.

Can't remember the exact partnership record they showed, but for example they had the list like this:

3rd: 306 Chanderpaul/Lara Adelaide 1998
4th: 285 Lanning/Perry Brisbane 2019

The women's team streak has been reported similarly. I don't think I agree with this.

Test cricket is the highest level of cricket, it's not a men's competition. There's nothing stopping the selectors picking a woman, is there?

If there is a rule to prevent women from being selected, remove that rule.

I see it the same as mixing a player's first class and Test high scores into the one table. They are including multiple competitions in the same group of stats.

Personally I don't like this for some stats as men's and women's Tests are not the same competition with no crossover

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Henry Hunt and Jake Lehmann are pretty much the only 2 standing in the way. Barring another Sayers/Worrell batting miracle.

It's funny, in the Shield at least I can cop not winning as I think we've unearthed a couple of reasonable talents, and we've been in a few games where we should've won.

The One Dayers have been an unmitigated disaster.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
A batting miracle did occur and we salvaged a draw. Hunt made a ton, Lehmann 60 odd and young Kerber 30 odd

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Is Jhye Richardson injured again?

Surely this must be the only reason he didn't play for WA against Tassie.

Also, how was Jon Holland 9 wickets for the match against us?

He's in India for the IPL I'm pretty sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see it the same as mixing a player's first class and Test high scores into the one table. They are including multiple competitions in the same group of stats.

Personally I don't like this for some stats as men's and women's Tests are not the same competition with no crossover
Its very controversial what you are saying in a woke world, but I totally agree.

I am a bit tired of seeing stats being mixed and mashed together.

Its very controversial what you are saying in a woke world, but I totally agree.

I wouldn't have thought so.

It seems mostly like a means by which to show how good the women's competition is. "Look how these stats compare to the men, we've included them in the same table". But as a fan of women's sport I actually think this does a disservice to the women's game. We should be trying to reduce the comparisons between the mens and womens games, and let the women's game flourish as its own product on its own right. Let the women forge their own records for their own competition, and let the best of those women stand alone and not be compared to men who don't play in the same competition.

Just look at tennis. They don't promote the women's game by constantly saying "this is how Ash Barty and others compare to the men". They promote the game as a display of the best female tennis players in the world. It's about Barty vs Williams vs Osaka, not Barty vs Djokovic vs Federer.

It's exactly the same reason you wouldn't put Port Adelaide at the top of the Aussie Rules trophy table. The proper method is showing AFL championship wins of which Port only has one.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Also, how was Jon Holland 9 wickets for the match against us?
Holland ALWAYS takes a bag of wickets against us, and he's absolutely garbage.

Kind of my point.

How could you have 2 people with the same surname play test cricket for Australia and both of them be in the top 10 worst players to ever play for Australia.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who's the other ten worst player?

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Who's the other ten worst player?
Bob Holland
Jon Holland
Dirk Welham
Murray Bennett
Wayne N Phillips(Not Flipper)
Rob Quiney
Joe Mennie
Mike Valetta
Robbie Kerr
Scott Muller

How is that?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Club cricket update... as mentioned earlier the Southern Districts/Adelaide merger appears to have fallen over.

However now about 8 or 9 of Southern Districts' board members have resigned, including their president. I guess an untenable situation once the members voted against their recommendation to merge. I think that's the whole board.

Will be interesting to see if they have enough interested parties willing to put the time in to turn the club around. It's one thing to turn up and vote at a meeting and vent on Facebook, quite another to invest the required hours at the coal face.

Often for clubs in this situation there is a bit of a tremor through the playing group - either players deciding to leave rather than ride it out (rats jumping off a sinking ship) or other clubs targeting their players, sensing easy prey.

They've had international Carl Hooper coaching them who I'm sure is a very good coach but I doubt has deep community relations in the area or long term relationships with the players to keep things together through this.

SACA may get their reduced number of clubs after all.

If the Redbacks go through the season without a win in either format then you'd think this would strengthen SACA's case to amend the constitution and allow them the power to reduce the number of grade clubs. Would SACA members really vote against it again? I think we've won 9 wooden spoons in the 12 years since the proposal was voted against last time.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Bob Holland took 10 wickets In a Test twice, not sure that puts in with that company.
Therefore he took 1.5 wickets per test for other 9 tests of his career. I would suspect the 2 tests where he took 10 wickets in a Test is the exception not the rule. I am happy with my pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back