Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Holland's match winning test in Sydney vs the West Indies in 1984-85 is one of my earliest cricket memories

I think the famed "Murray Bennett arm ball" was in the same test, got Viv Richards I think?

Roy and HG always said that Ray Bright was the worst cricketer who'd played semi regularly for Australia. "Barely competent left arm orthodox spinner, terrible batsman, even worse fieldsman and struggled with the drinks"
Kepler Wessels made 170ish in the Australian innings?
I remember Hilditch was out early, hooking, for a change.

Edit: maybe 130ish, from memory. Going to look it up now....

Edit 2 - right the first time, 173.

So I wonder how deep the changes will be at the SACA?

I wonder if they'll be able to attract actual good players?
We'd actually be pretty attractive now you'd think. Proven, respected coach. Plenty of spots available. Plenty of cap space.

Siddons had some decent times in charge but as a coach has some pretty unique (and forceful) ideas about batting that aren't for everyone so I'm told. Not sure interstaters were queuing up to play under him.

So I wonder how deep the changes will be at the SACA?

I wonder if they'll be able to attract actual good players?

Do the SACA really care about anything other than getting decent crowds for the Adelaide test match?

Cricket Australia should threaten to withhold funding until they get their s**t together. Two decades at the bottom of the table is a disgrace.

Is everyone watching the South Africa vs Pakistan one dayer?

Thought so.

I'd like the Strikers to pick up Usman Qadir as an import. Son of Pakistani legend Abdul. Played half a season of grade cricket here a while ago and dominated. Leggie with the full bag of tricks. Entering his prime (27 years of age). Flipper, wrong 'un. Quite quick through the air.

I know we've already got Rashid but spin to win as I always say

How many of these South African players have you heard of?

Beuran Hendricks
Lutho Sipamla
Daryn Dupavillion
Andile Phehlukwayo
Jon-Jon Smuts
Kyle Verreynne
Heinrich Klaasen
Janneman Malan

Plus the regulars Markram, Bavuma (captain!) and Maharaj

Is everyone watching the South Africa vs Pakistan one dayer?

Thought so.

I'd like the Strikers to pick up Usman Qadir as an import. Son of Pakistani legend Abdul. Played half a season of grade cricket here a while ago and dominated. Leggie with the full bag of tricks. Entering his prime (27 years of age). Flipper, wrong 'un. Quite quick through the air.

I know we've already got Rashid but spin to win as I always say

Didn't he play a season at the Scorchers a couple of seasons ago and was average?

How many of these South African players have you heard of?

Beuran Hendricks
Lutho Sipamla
Daryn Dupavillion
Andile Phehlukwayo
Jon-Jon Smuts
Kyle Verreynne
Heinrich Klaasen
Janneman Malan

Plus the regulars Markram, Bavuma (captain!) and Maharaj

I think a lot of people have probably heard of players like Phehlukwayo in particular who's played nearly 100 international matches. Hendricks and Klaasen have also been around the system for a few years now at international level

Didn't he play a season at the Scorchers a couple of seasons ago and was average?
Yeah 3 years ago but only played a few games. Took wickets for the Prime Minister's XI when he was out here. Has taken 12 wickets in his first 6 T20 internationals recently. Now added to their one day squad (today is his debut)

Bright just bowled flat, nude nuts, no flight and even less turn. In saying that though, reckon he took a fiver in the second innings of the tied test in Madras...Indian players must have been so knackered they must have seen more than one ball and hit the wrong one. Even in shield has was nothing more than tidy...and his fielding, more than once I heard a bowler yell "fu**", when the skied ball was going to old shaky knees at point
Cricinfo's profile of Bright:

For a time, Ray Bright was colloquially and rather meanly known for having made almost as many tours as he had played Tests. Bright was a skilful left-arm orthodox spinner who flighted the ball when young, but flattened his trajectory as the passing years and Australia's then low regard for slow bowling took their toll. He was also a defiant, if inelegant, lower-order bat, and an honest captain of a struggling Victorian side. He will be best remembered for his effort in the Madras tied Test, when he was reduced to tears by the pitiless conditions, but fought back to take 5 for 94 in the epic fourth innings.
Gideon Haigh

I’ll show my age here...

I present to you, from Victoria with a single test average of 4.5, middle order batsman, LES JOSLIN!

One test in 1968 against India and more at sea against Indian spinners than theTitanic was against icebergs...
Obscure.

I'd nominate Trevor Chappell, who was fortunate to play 3 Tests in the 1981 Ashes series in England.
Fortunate because brother Greg didn't tour and he really wasn't that good to start with.

So looking through the Redbacks contracted player list, this is what I would do:

Head CA deal
Agar retain
Bosisto delist. He's a meh cricketer for mine. Good grade player only.
Carey CA deal
Cooper delist
Davis delist
Dickman (rookie) delist
Drew delist
Ferguson delist (maybe they keep him for white ball stuff?)
Grant retain
Hunt retain
C Kelly (rookie) retain
T Kelly (rookie) retain
Lehmann Hmmmm.... I guess retain
McInerney delist
Mennie delist
Nielsen retain
Oakley (rookie) delist
Pope retain
Richardson CA deal
Robins delist
Sayers retired
Scott (rookie) upgrade
Valente Hmmm... unsure here. Probably delist.
Weatherald retain
Winter delist
Worrall retain

Should leave plenty of cap space to poach a couple of players. Need to attract one batsman (is Renshaw already in the bank?) and at least one bowler - pace or a spinner too, depending on where they see Pope's development at. Also raid any 19-21 year olds stuck in the queue at NSW, Qld and Vic.

From grade cricket add:
Ryan Gibson
Sam Kerber
Bailey Capel (rookie)
Isaac Conway
Ryan King (rookie)
Zac Worden (rookie)
I'm hearing at least 10 players will be delisted

No surprise there.

Also that several would have been moved on at the end of last season if Gillespie was in the role then. It took us months and months from Siddons leaving to Gillespie being appointed during which time all the contracts were done.

So we've lost 12 months on a much needed overhaul basically.

Chuck Berry teed off on Nielsen in commentary yesterday. Said when he was here he targeted some interstaters (Worrall, Zampa, Mennie, Hughes) and would have continued but Tim Nielsen wanted to prioritise SA talent. Now the lack of SA talent has led us to a winless season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club cricket update... as mentioned earlier the Southern Districts/Adelaide merger appears to have fallen over.

However now about 8 or 9 of Southern Districts' board members have resigned, including their president. I guess an untenable situation once the members voted against their recommendation to merge. I think that's the whole board.

Will be interesting to see if they have enough interested parties willing to put the time in to turn the club around. It's one thing to turn up and vote at a meeting and vent on Facebook, quite another to invest the required hours at the coal face.

Often for clubs in this situation there is a bit of a tremor through the playing group - either players deciding to leave rather than ride it out (rats jumping off a sinking ship) or other clubs targeting their players, sensing easy prey.

They've had international Carl Hooper coaching them who I'm sure is a very good coach but I doubt has deep community relations in the area or long term relationships with the players to keep things together through this.

SACA may get their reduced number of clubs after all.

If the Redbacks go through the season without a win in either format then you'd think this would strengthen SACA's case to amend the constitution and allow them the power to reduce the number of grade clubs. Would SACA members really vote against it again? I think we've won 9 wooden spoons in the 12 years since the proposal was voted against last time.
Next update... Nigel Smart has taken over as Southern Districts' chairman.

Yes, our Nigel Smart.

So looking through the Redbacks contracted player list, this is what I would do:

Head CA deal
Agar retain
Bosisto delist. He's a meh cricketer for mine. Good grade player only.
Carey CA deal
Cooper delist
Davis delist
Dickman (rookie) delist
Drew delist
Ferguson delist (maybe they keep him for white ball stuff?)
Grant retain
Hunt retain
C Kelly (rookie) retain
T Kelly (rookie) retain
Lehmann Hmmmm.... I guess retain
McInerney delist
Mennie delist
Nielsen retain
Oakley (rookie) delist
Pope retain
Richardson CA deal
Robins delist
Sayers retired
Scott (rookie) upgrade
Valente Hmmm... unsure here. Probably delist.
Weatherald retain
Winter delist
Worrall retain

Should leave plenty of cap space to poach a couple of players. Need to attract one batsman (is Renshaw already in the bank?) and at least one bowler - pace or a spinner too, depending on where they see Pope's development at. Also raid any 19-21 year olds stuck in the queue at NSW, Qld and Vic.

From grade cricket add:
Ryan Gibson
Sam Kerber
Bailey Capel (rookie)
Isaac Conway
Ryan King (rookie)
Zac Worden (rookie)
So far Sayers, Ferguson, Cooper, Bosisto, Davis, McInerney and Robins all gone

Don't think that will be all either

One of the worst umpiring decisions you'll ever see

Not one of the worst, THE worst decision ever. Does that umpire actually know the LBW law?

He couldn't seriously argue that he didn't play a shot to that could he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back