England Cricketers Sabotaging Test Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

stand in the sun for 5 days, for 5 tests amounting to 60 days away from friends and family for f'all $s

or

turn up for 3 hours and make a killing

I find it more sad that the public prefer slap happy over tests

Even though it would make it easier for NZ to beat England without Stokes, Archer and Buttler I would rather we played their full strength team.

Don't like the idea of players missing tests to play in the IPL, the IPL used to be in a window when there was no tests but that no longer seems to be the case.

Even though it would make it easier for NZ to beat England without Stokes, Archer and Buttler I would rather we played their full strength team.

Don't like the idea of players missing tests to play in the IPL, the IPL used to be in a window when there was no tests but that no longer seems to be the case.
Boult and especially Jamieson won't be giving up their IPL contracts to play either.

It's certainly not ideal, and it feels like a little part of my cricketing soul dies reading this... And as much as I want to blame the players for taking the money, the IPL money is just so much, even for blokes already on a hefty pay packet with their country.

They've always had an IPL window and I think that is the best way to keep going. Hopefully this year with covid is just a one off, and we can revert to a six week international break. There's too much international Cricket anyway.

Maybe if England didn't play a bajillion Tests every season players would be more inspired to prioritize Test cricket.

This is a problem?

With almost all series not involving the big 3 being condensed down to two Tests it's nice to look forward to England playing Test cricket.

The IPL can get stuffed. The only period of the year where I have zero interest in Cricket.

It's certainly not ideal, and it feels like a little part of my cricketing soul dies reading this... And as much as I want to blame the players for taking the money, the IPL money is just so much, even for blokes already on a hefty pay packet with their country.

They've always had an IPL window and I think that is the best way to keep going. Hopefully this year with covid is just a one off, and we can revert to a six week international break. There's too much international Cricket anyway.
Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them use the Covid card to sneak through their ambitions for the IPL to expand. Same way CA have to s**t on South Africa. This is only heading one way.

Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them use the Covid card to sneak through their ambitions for the IPL to expand. Same way CA have to sh*t on South Africa. This is only heading one way.
Yep and this is a huge concern I must admit, and something I meant to add into my original post.

Is this a test of the waters to see what they can get away with, or are they genuine when they say they don't want to supersede international cricket? Can't find direct quotes just now, but have read words to that effect previously.

If it's a return to normal in 2022 we can breathe a bit easier, but you can get bet your bottom dollar - whilst this would be a minority view at the moment - there will be some suits in the halls of the BCCI who look at MLB with their 152 games a year and ~$US11B in yearly revenue, and be thinking how far they can push the IPL. It doesn't have to get to that level of excess - even if a 3-month IPL tournament would put a pretty big dent in the international calendar and/or continue to severely test players allegiances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's a return to normal in 2022 we can breathe a bit easier, but you can get bet your bottom dollar - whilst this would be a minority view at the moment - there will be some suits in the halls of the BCCI who look at MLB with their 152 games a year and ~$US11B in yearly revenue, and be thinking how far they can push the IPL. It doesn't have to get to that level of excess - even if a 3-month IPL tournament would put a pretty big dent in the international calendar and/or continue to severely test players allegiances.
This is the biggest concern for me and it's entirely relevant given the private ownership structures for the franchises. They'll want to maximise profits as much as possible and the BCCI will have to cave eventually. Gideon Haigh often asks "Does cricket make money to exist or exist to make money?". In the case of the IPL (and other T20 tournaments) it is most certainly the latter.

This is the biggest concern for me and it's entirely relevant given the private ownership structures for the franchises. They'll want to maximise profits as much as possible and the BCCI will have to cave eventually. Gideon Haigh often asks "Does cricket make money to exist or exist to make money?". In the case of the IPL (and other T20 tournaments) it is most certainly the latter.
3 months of T20 would be excruciatingly dull.

Read an article by Boycott bemoaning about this which made me laugh. This guy and several of his colleagues went on the Rebel tour not to mention Boycott sat out a few years of test cricket in the 70s.

Cricket today cultivates mercenaries. Opting to miss a test series for IPL isn’t the same sacrifice as for instance missing an entire season and giving up the opportunity for a premiership. There’s fk all attachment. These guys know they can miss a test series but be a walk up start in the next one.

I'd say there are a lot of players opting to skip Test in favour of the IPL (along with other T20 leagues) in preparation for the World T20 later this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back