England tour of India (4 Tests, 5 T20Is, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Root mentioned in the after match that the pink ball made batting more difficult as the ball could skid on quicker than the batsmen expected so some of them were getting beaten more for pace than spin. The pitch was certainly a factor as well but combined with the pink ball it made batting a nightmare.

The next test is a day test with a normal red ball so even if the pitch is similar to the one in this test batting should be easier.
I'd be surprised if next Test was similar pitch. More likely to want to prepare a road at this point.

Test cricket really has some long held views that have never been challenged

such as the need to have 4 frontline bowlers

if ever there was a case to play one less bowler and one more batsman - it’s on a raging turner

play 2 spinners - a front line quick and with stokes you have your fourth bowler ... not to mention other part timers if required

that way you can afford An extra batter

for Australia you could pick lyon/swepson and cummins

have green bowl 10-15 overs for the test and the likes of head/labuschagne to support

you could then pick an extra batter

it’s a different story on a seam in wicket where you can’t expect a quick to bowl 40
Overs - but a spinner doesn’t have the same restrictions

I'd be surprised if next Test was similar pitch. More likely to want to prepare a road at this point.

hundred percent - India will absolutely prepare a pitch for a draw

their curators are the best at it

ours just prepare a pitch for hospitality money and 5 day advertising

There are six categories in the rating system. These are namely, very good, good, average, below average, poor and unfit. And the match referee needs to select one among these six ratings and award the pitch and the outfield.

The ICC defines each one of the six rating categories according to its standard conventions. The following are the ICC conventions and definitions for each category of the pitch rating.

• A pitch is termed ‘very good’ if there is, good carry, limited seam movement and consistent good bounce early in the match and as the pitch wears as the match progresses, with an acceptable amount of turn on the first two days but natural wear sufficient to be responsive to spin later in the game.
  • A pitch is termed ‘good’ if there is, average carry, moderate seam movement and consistent bounce both early in the match and as the pitch wears as the match progresses, natural wear sufficient to be responsive to spin from day 1, though not quite meeting the criteria for carry and bounce for a “very good” pitch.
  • A pitch is termed ‘average’ if it lacks carry, and/or bounce and/or occasional seam movement, but consistent in carry and bounce. A degree of turn, but with average bounce for the spinner. Falling significantly short of “very good” with respect to carry, bounce and turn.
  • A pitch is termed ‘below average’ if there is either very little carry and/or bounce and/or more than occasional seam movement, or occasional variable (but not excessive or dangerous) bounce and/or occasional variable carry. If a pitch demonstrates these features, then the pitch cannot be rated in a higher category regardless of the amount of turn the pitch displays at any stage of the match.
  • A pitch is termed ‘poor’ if it is one that does not allow an even contest between bat and ball, either by favouring the batters too much, and not giving the bowlers (seam and spin) from either team sufficient opportunity to take wickets, or by favouring the bowlers too much (seam or spin), and not giving the batters from either team the opportunity to make runs.If any of the following criteria apply, a pitch may be rated “poor”:
    • The pitch offers excessive seam movement at any stage of the match
    • The pitch displays excessive unevenness of bounce for any bowler at any stage of the match
    • The pitch offers excessive assistance to spin bowlers, especially early in the match
    • The pitch displays little or no seam movement or turn at any stage in the match together with no significant bounce or carry, thereby depriving the bowlers of a fair contest between bat and ball.
  • A pitch is termed ‘unfit’ if it is dangerous.

who was the match referee? they are very silent...

Lyon wants the Ahmedabad curator at the SCG..

Came here to post this. First thing Lyon has said for a while that I agree with. Chappelli came out and blasted the English for the way they batted as well, questioned why they are taught all the time that sweeping is somehow the safe option rather than making footwork the priority. There was an interesting quote he regurgitated too that struck a chord with me - ‘better to be stumped by 3 metres than 3 inches.’

Came here to post this. First thing Lyon has said for a while that I agree with. Chappelli came out and blasted the English for the way they batted as well, questioned why they are taught all the time that sweeping is somehow the safe option rather than making footwork the priority. There was an interesting quote he regurgitated too that struck a chord with me - ‘better to be stumped by 3 metres than 3 inches.’

while India are in their rights to prepare whatever pitch they want, Lyon is still a flog who is easily the most unlikable cricketer and the fact he is sounding off in the media aka finch makes me wonder what planet these blokes are on where they think under performance is perfectly fine.

Lyon probably needs pitches like that because he didn’t even look like it during the last series. He should be spending less time watching cricket and more time worrying about how he is bowling pies.

while India are in their rights to prepare whatever pitch they want, Lyon is still a flog who is easily the most unlikable cricketer and the fact he is sounding off in the media aka finch makes me wonder what planet these blokes are on where they think under performance is perfectly fine.

Lyon probably needs pitches like that because he didn’t even look like it during the last series. He should be spending less time watching cricket and more time worrying about how he is bowling pies.

I absolutely despise the bloke but my stance on him doesnt effect whether I agree with him or not.

What a joke . Was looking to see if anything happened with that . I actually thought good on for calling it out .

Was an really odd post to make by her even if it was a joke .

The irony is if Burns made the same tweet about a woman's Cricket game finishing earlier he'd be getting a far harsher punishment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have a huge problem with the Indian pitch issue. Their attitude is no different to England's but I wouldn't mind the Indians staying quiet about it.

They're winning the games, they don't need to come out and start talking about "what makes a good pitch" when they're clearly getting the advantage.

Nothing more tedious then hearing the richest cricketers in the game talk about how the media etc. is against them when every other cricket board bends over backwards to accommodate them.

I don't have a huge problem with the Indian pitch issue. Their attitude is no different to England's but I wouldn't mind the Indians staying quiet about it.

They're winning the games, they don't need to come out and start talking about "what makes a good pitch" when they're clearly getting the advantage.

Nothing more tedious then hearing the richest cricketers in the game talk about how the media etc. is against them when every other cricket board bends over backwards to accommodate them.

Ashwin only made that comment because he was asked for the umpteenth time by a journalist if he thought it was a good pitch.

The Indian curator preparing the 4th Test forgot about Kohli's landmines.

giphy.gif

I feel dirty having to support England for anything. However; realistically, we don't deserve our spot in the WTC final. We had numerous chances to lock ourselves into it in both The Ashes and The Border Gavaskar trophy and we failed to do so. We made our bed, now we must address why we must lie in it.

Sure it'd be fun for England to pull off the (next to) impossible, but it'd be the most tokenistic, default final appearance imaginable.

Let's focus on how to improve and be the undisputed WTC champions next time around. Thoigh if we did end up making it this time, hell, I'd be pretty stoked none the less, but it wouldn't feel as good.

I feel dirty having to support England for anything. However; realistically, we don't deserve our spot in the WTC final. We had numerous chances to lock ourselves into it in both The Ashes and The Border Gavaskar trophy and we failed to do so. We made our bed, now we must address why we must lie in it.

Sure it'd be fun for England to pull off the (next to) impossible, but it'd be the most tokenistic, default final appearance imaginable.

Let's focus on how to improve and be the undisputed WTC champions next time around. Thoigh if we did end up making it this time, hell, I'd be pretty stoked none the less, but it wouldn't feel as good.
That logic also applies to India (got smashed by NZ) and NZ (got smashed by Australia).

Bess should come in for Broad, but think Archer needs to stay. He's a match winner and even on this wicket could be the difference. I still think England can come back and win this.

Test cricket really has some long held views that have never been challenged

such as the need to have 4 frontline bowlers

if ever there was a case to play one less bowler and one more batsman - it’s on a raging turner

play 2 spinners - a front line quick and with stokes you have your fourth bowler ... not to mention other part timers if required

that way you can afford An extra batter

for Australia you could pick lyon/swepson and cummins

have green bowl 10-15 overs for the test and the likes of head/labuschagne to support

you could then pick an extra batter

it’s a different story on a seam in wicket where you can’t expect a quick to bowl 40
Overs - but a spinner doesn’t have the same restrictions
Got your wish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back