England tour of New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Its interesting.....will they continue to bat like that even if it costs them test matches?

I reckon if the Poms are 2 nil down after 3 tests in the Ashes later this year, reckon they'll have to reassess.

Might be great playing attack at all costs test cricket but what use is that if you lose 4 nil?

A lost test every few series’ won’t bother them I wouldn’t think.

If it got to the stage of 3-0 or 4-0 down I’m sure they would be looking at something different. One game shouldn’t change that for now though

A lost test every few series’ won’t bother them I wouldn’t think.

If it got to the stage of 3-0 or 4-0 down I’m sure they would be looking at something different. One game shouldn’t change that for now though
Not sure that they would risk an Ashes series loss just for the sake of playing 100% attacking cricket.

Having said that, their approach (when it comes off) probably puts them in a winning position early in a game.

That might be it for follow ons.
People questioning the England follow on . Why. They had just rolled the Kiwis cheaply, so no reason not to think they'd do it again. The reason we had that exciting finish was due entirely to the Kiwis not rolling over a second time. As I see it, if Test cricket is to survive it is not easy innings wins but classic close tussles like this one that will be the driving force.

Last edited:
Not sure that they would risk an Ashes series loss just for the sake of playing 100% attacking cricket.

Having said that, their approach (when it comes off) probably puts them in a winning position early in a game.

Playing defensive with their side they will get flogged this style suits them bar Root they are all t20 bats!

That finish tops the finish from the Hobart test where we beat Australia by 7 runs with Doug Bracewell bowling Nathan Lyon to win it.

That was a comfortable win in comparison to this one.

A quality knock under the circumstances from Foakes, but will he and the England brains trust be kicking themself for not taking all those certain runs. Leach looked capable of at least holding up his end.

Those runs they missed out on proved crucial in the end, I thought it was a mistake for Foakes to farm the strike when Leach is capable with the bat.

When was the last 1 run win? Was it Langers debut in Adelaide vs the Windies?

That was the only other 1 run win, this is just the second 1 run win in test history.

Probably shouldn't when your best bowler is 41.

Well Harry Hindsight is never wrong - but I supported the follow-on decision despite the Poms grandpa bowlers, their captain once again enduring an 'injury' and unable to bowl, Leach being unrelaible at best AND at the time it was a flat batting deck with little assistance for the bowlers.

Anyhoo, great win by the Ram rooters, the Poms can go suck a big one with at least 3 critical wickets gifted today thanks to their lauded 'bazball' strategy and therefore failing to chase down a modest target for victory...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People questioning the England follow on . Why. They had just rolled the Kiwis cheaply, so no reason not to think they'd do it again. The reason we had that exciting finish was due entirely to the Kiwis not rolling over a second time. As I see it, if Test cricket is to survive it is classic matches like this one that will be the driving force.
Because their two main bowlers are 38 and 40+. Time was not an issue in this test. Go out and bat, give your bowlers are rest, and if you bat quickly you're just going to pile on an insurmountable lead that leaves NZ with no chance, and their batters mentally in a hole from the start of the innings.

I am happy about the result but applaud England for attacking the game.

That could have been a boring as s**t draw. Be willing to lose in order to win. Cost them this time, I hope it doesn’t scare them out of attacking next time
Totally agree.

Hoping to see them attacking their way to many more losses in the future. Good for the game.

Just reading some of stokes’ post match comments. He really has grown up since Bristol and I loved his attitude: happier to have played in one of the great matches than he is sad to have enforced the follow on and lost
Be interesting to see what Stokes brings out, if/when Eng lose a couple of matches on the trot....it's a pity NZ we're stubborn on the Boult selection and Jamieson was unfit...definitely two bowlers who have had recent success v Eng in NZ of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back