England Tour of South Africa 2020 (3 T20's and 3 ODI's)

Remove this Banner Ad

surprised to learn that England's next international fixture after this tour is in June 2021

Aren't they going to India in February?

Edit: yes they are
BCCI President Sourav Ganguly confirmed the schedule for the series planned in February-March while speaking at an online event. "England is touring India for four Test matches, three ODIs and five T20s

I had a look at the ECB website, and it says they have host:Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan in their home months of June ,July and August 2021.

Can't see anything where they have India in Feb.
That's because BCCI hasn't confirmed dates. Once they do, they will appear on the ECB website.

South Africa are in desperate need of a star with the bat at the moment.

They have two players who are genuinely elite in Rabada and De Kock, the entire player body aside from those two at the moment just looks like honest triers and a few of them need to step up. Markram is the obvious one.

Klaasen had some good knocks against AUS in the ODI's back in March. May have been a one series thing instead of a new performance level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it would be fair to say South Africa had a special generation before this current crop in Steyn, ABdV, Morkel, Graeme Smith, Kallis......unfortunately this current crop is nowhere near their class. Losing players to Kolpak doesn't help as well.

it would be fair to say South Africa had a special generation before this current crop in Steyn, ABdV, Morkel, Graeme Smith, Kallis......unfortunately this current crop is nowhere near their class. Losing players to Kolpak doesn't help as well.

I'm a big supporter of the quota system, or at the very least the logic behind it, but after reading that the numbers are set to be bumped up further I'm starting to wonder just how much damage it is going to do in the short to medium term.

I'm a big supporter of the quota system, or at the very least the logic behind it, but after reading that the numbers are set to be bumped up further I'm starting to wonder just how much damage it is going to do in the short to medium term.
I've never been to South Africa but how big an issue is the quota system in South Africa?

I'd assume it a bit like if the Australian cricket team didn't have a minimum number of NSW players in the setup, the people in NSW would be whingeing and complaining.

I couldn't ever seen for instance, the Australian cricket team, requiring a minimum number of indigenous in the match squad setup. Could you imagine how the Australian public would react if there had to be a minimum quota applied to the Australian national cricket team? I think personally it would create a bigger divide, in a country I feel is more unified than say 50 years ago.

I've never been to South Africa but how big an issue is the quota system in South Africa?

I'd assume it a bit like if the Australian cricket team didn't have a minimum number of NSW players in the setup, the people in NSW would be whingeing and complaining.

I couldn't ever seen for instance, the Australian cricket team, requiring a minimum number of indigenous in the match squad setup. Could you imagine how the Australian public would react if there had to be a minimum quota applied to the Australian national cricket team? I think personally it would create a bigger divide, in a country I feel is more unified than say 50 years ago.

I've never been there either. It causes a lot of consternation within the cricket set up.

As I understand it the logic is two-fold. Obviously there's the social and cultural factor of trying to bridge the divide between black and white by making the national team representative of all colours and creeds. Can totally understand that.
There is also the fact that the white population in SA is a complete minority yet until Makhaya Ntini not a single player of colour had ever been a regular in the SA national team. In fact aside from a couple of blokes like Omar Henry and Charlie Llewellyn who played a sprinkling of matches he was really the first notable black inclusion in the side full stop.

The team is not representative at all of the racial patchwork that makes up SA so again I can understand them wanting to change that.

The thing in Australia is that indigenous people are a massive minority anyway so a team with 0-1 players of colour in it would actually probably be ABOVE the average in the normal population. A sport like rugby league where at any given time 6-7 players of indigenous heritage might be picked for a representative team is actually a huge over-representation (statistically I mean - the all deserve to be there). So if there was a quota system here it would make less mathematical sense. In SA it would seem understandably odd in many ways to see a Test 11 in a predominantly black country, made up entirely of white players. Imagine a US NBA team made up of all white guys.

I think as well as showing that they can give opportunities to people of colour, CSA an the SA Government also want to show young people of colour that there is a pathway to the top and that they can achieve success. That's fantastic in theory and I applaud them for trying to do it. But shoehorning these guys into spots that they can't fill legitimately is doing a lot of damage and at some point if it keeps going the way it is, at some stage down the track they are going to have to start appealing to white people again to convince them that THEY can make it to the top. I don't envy the people making the decisions.

Bowling wise they have no problem. Philander until recently, Rabada right now and Lungi Ngidi for the future are a world class trio of coloured bowlers. Batsmen on the other hand - take out Cape Coloured guys like Gibbs and Duminy and the cupboard has long been bare. They've persisted with Bavuma and he has repayed them with some fine innings but still only one century and a modest average.

Hard to believe it's been ticked off by the referee and even harder to believe a captain would actually agree to do it IMO.

Agreed. Absolute lunacy.

makes a farce of intuitive captaincy. Surely even allowing for the amount of analysis and research that goes into the game now, a captain should be across that sort of stuff anyway, like who troubles who etc

Given the uproar there was when Smith once asked the dressing room about a DRS review in India (fair enough criticism too) I don't see how this is much different.

But it’s vastly different. A Drs review is very time limited and a video feed can dictate whether it’s worth reviewing

This is no different to getting messages by the 12th man or a coach on the boundary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back