England tour of South Africa (4 Tests, 3 ODIs, 3 T20s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Archer will end up a white ball bowler only.

Doesn't bowl much line and length, mostly just short and full, plus has a pea heart when things aren't going his way.

Based on his long international career to date and huge sample size obviously.

F*** what is it with this bloke, did he systematically take every Big Footy member’s Mum out for dinner and never call them back?

I have never seen a player who fans are so eager to take apart after such a small period of time

Don't want to be that guy but best in the world by far is pushing it. All of Aus, Ind and SA have top pace attacks.
Agree regarding India, but Australia and India are comfortably ahead of South Africa.

Based on his long international career to date and huge sample size obviously.

F*** what is it with this bloke, did he systematically take every Big Footy member’s Mum out for dinner and never call them back?

I have never seen a player who fans are so eager to take apart after such a small period of time
Should have been removed from the attack last night after those two full bungers. For the square leg umpire to change his decision because Archer wasn’t happy well it’s embarrassing.

So Denly is not a mug afterall?

Where did this dropkick stupid idea that he was a "mug" come from? Acquitted himself very solidly in the Ashes then followed up with a good series in NZ. Not as exciting a selection as Bairstow or Vince at three but continues to do his job very well.

Those are the most Philander figures ever 4 for 16 off 14 :oops:

I reckon with those late wickets England are not so far behind in this game as it seems. If de Kock carries on from the first innings and Philander bowls like that again then well, yes they'll get nowhere near it but think there's a fair bit of justification for frustration if they can't get a lead of beyond 250.

Should have been removed from the attack last night after those two full bungers. For the square leg umpire to change his decision because Archer wasn’t happy well it’s embarrassing.

I would agree, but the decision was made that the second wasn't actually a no-ball, it was not all that far off the stumps so a bit of a grey area not helped by the umpires immediate call and reversal.

I do agree with that, though weren’t both of them slower balls? I thought there had to be a danger associated with beamers?
Slower balls are still 120kmph. Embarrassing from the umpire over turning the decision and stupid from Archer. After the first one you just bowl it half way down the wicket

I would agree, but the decision was made that the second wasn't actually a no-ball, it was not all that far off the stumps so a bit of a grey area not helped by the umpires immediate call and reversal.
It’s where it passes the batsmen in his normal stance and it was definitely a no ball. If the ball passes the batsmen on the full above waste oh his normal stance even if the batsmen gets bowled it’s still a no ball

I was 15 beers deep but I thought I read that it was 108km - the second one

So what?

If a spinner bowled 2 in an over he would get sat for the innings as well, speed is irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what?

If a spinner bowled 2 in an over he would get sat for the innings as well, speed is irrelevant.

From the Laws of the Game:
41.7 Bowling of dangerous and unfair non-pitching deliveries
41.7.1 Any delivery, which passes or would have passed, without pitching, above waist height of the striker standing upright at the popping crease, is unfair. Whenever such a delivery is bowled, the umpire shall call and signal No ball.
41 .7. 2 The bowling of a delivery as defined in 41.7.1 is also dangerous if the bowler’s end umpire considers that there is a risk of injury to the striker.
In making that judgement the umpire shall:
  • disregard any protective equipment worn by the striker
  • be mindful of:
    • the speed, height and direction of the delivery
    • the skill of the striker
    • the repeated nature of such deliveries.

Speed is relevant, but only one aspect of what constitutes danger. The cricinfo article reads as if the umpires decided that because it was supposed to be a knuckleball that the second one wasn't a beamer, but a lack of intent doesn't appear to be an excuse.

The fact it was above waist height, directed at the batsman, the second one in a row and at a night watchman surely means he shouldn't have been given the benefit of the doubt imo

Speed is relevant, but only one aspect of what constitutes danger. The cricinfo article reads as if the umpires decided that because it was supposed to be a knuckleball that the second one wasn't a beamer, but a lack of intent doesn't appear to be an excuse.

The fact it was above waist height, directed at the batsman, the second one in a row and at a night watchman surely means he shouldn't have been given the benefit of the doubt imo
The bloke who was batting normally comes in at number 11 tells you all you need to know about his skill

I agree he had to be removed from the attack

Not a big loss, doesn't look up to it at the moment.

They'll likely move everyone up a position and put Bavuma in somewhere so I don't see the batting getting any stronger however.

Re the “ Beamers “.

I thought that waist high was OD cricket, I thought different for test cricket?

Happy to be proven wrong but if not then Jofra should be having a rest right now cos that second one was definitely over waist high IMO

Think it was Dirk Nannes, but I remember a Victorian being banned after the first 2 balls of a shield game in Perth and both were just about off the pitch! No actual threat to batsman but banished by the letter of the law. They may have changed it though since then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back