England tour of the West Indies 2019 (3 Tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely that has to be the end of Bishoo. West Indies desperately need a doorknob bowler who can just whip through 5-6 overs of non-turning spin at 5 an over. Gayle could have been that bowler a few years ago but he can barely roll his arm over these days.

That Narine guy would be handy about now....
I'm sure his left arm still gets a pretty good workout?

Yeah can’t argue.
Disappointed we dropped so many catches and played out a lot of dot balls between the big hits, but if Roy catches Gayle on 9 then it becomes immaterial anyway.

Dot balls is huge. How many did Gayle have ? He hit 12 sixes and 3 fours but his strike rate was only 104.65. That is 84 off 15 balls and 51 off the other 114.

Dot balls is huge. How many did Gayle have ? He hit 12 sixes and 3 fours but his strike rate was only 104.65. That is 84 off 15 balls and 51 off the other 114.

Yep.

Hard to blame him because you can only criticise and assess someone on their final raw figures, and regardless of the final run rate etc etc, 135 off 129 opening the innings against a proven attack is no grounds for criticism.

BUT, when you look at it, it could have been so much better. At least 20 runs better you’d think, he’s a skilful enough batsman to find little gaps when he isn’t smashing it. Though I must say, the raw ferocity with which he hits a ball also costs him runs. At one point England had a handful of fieldsmen on the offside circle, right back on the line - easily deep enough to allow a single normally, but he hit 3-4 drives in an over that he absolutely striped, giving him no chance to take a run while the ball was in transit

If Gayle was playing for England/India you could critisise the innings but Windies ODI batting is too inconsistent to see a hundred at a decent strike as anything less then a positive.

Hope is their only ODI batsman (aside from Hetmyer) but he hasn't really played enough games to bank on) I'd back to score more runs then Gayle right now.

The main takeaway for the Windies is their fringe bowling wasn't good enough. If Gabriel and Roach were playing it might have been a different result.

If Gayle was playing for England/India you could critisise the innings but Windies ODI batting is too inconsistent to see a hundred at a decent strike as anything less then a positive.

Hope is their only ODI batsman (aside from Hetmyer) but he hasn't really played enough games to bank on) I'd back to score more runs then Gayle right now.

The main takeaway for the Windies is their fringe bowling wasn't good enough. If Gabriel and Roach were playing it might have been a different result.

I think no matter who you play for there is only so much criticism you can do.

I mean if england lost, could you mount a case that when Root wasn’t hitting ones and twos, should he have been bombing sixes?
Additionally, it’s all well and good to say afterwards that two sides were scoring at seven an over so 135 off 129 isn’t enough.
But while Gayle was at the crease he doesn’t actually know what is and isn’t a winning score.

It’s like saying to a bowler ‘you took 5-50 but look at all the balls the batsmen were able to leave in between.’
Yeah it’s a valid point but the things that WEREN’T done should also not overshadow the things that WERE.

That's Gayle all over. He loves batting but it's very much all about him. Obviously when he fires his team is exponentially better but when he doesn't he puts added pressure on the others. I've seen innings where Gayle is 2 off 20 and then smashes 50 from the next 20 but only he gets away with that.

That's Gayle all over. He loves batting but it's very much all about him. Obviously when he fires his team is exponentially better but when he doesn't he puts added pressure on the others. I've seen innings where Gayle is 2 off 20 and then smashes 50 from the next 20 but only he gets away with that.

Yeah I don't quite agree with that selfish comment. Knows and trusts his game very well and that it relies on getting his eye in early. Shaun Marsh & Ross Taylor are quite similar in that regard and also immensely successful short form batsmen whose scoring rates grow exponentially with their innings.

Bad choice by Nurse to only go for single back there to help Hetmyer get a hundred, but nice century all the same. Hopefully enough of a score to possibly defend. Mark Wood impressive again. Both sides look settled for the basic look of their World Cup squads. Australia miles off decided what we going with in late May.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back