England tour of the West Indies 2019 (3 Tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s)

Remove this Banner Ad

England take on the West Indies coming off a 3-0 thumping of Sri Lanka away from home, whilst the West Indies have continued their up and down results with 2-0 losses to India and Bangladesh following positive results at home to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

West Indies squad
Jason Holder (capt), Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo (finally!), Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph Kemar Roach, Jomel Warrican, Oshane Thomas (cover for Joseph)

England Test squad:
Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, Jimmy Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Ben Foakes, Keaton Jennings, Jack Leach, Adil Rashid, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes

England ODI squad:
Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Tom Curran, Joe Denly, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

Couple of interesting changes in the West Indian squad. Other than Bravo being back, Powell and Bishoo have been given the boot. Judging by the article Campbell is going to get first crack at opening the batting and Warrican will be the number one spinner.

Expect them to line up like this:

Brathwaite
Campbell
Bravo
Hope
Hetmyer
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Roach
Warrican
Gabriel

Looks a good side, especially in home conditions. They have a good record against England at home as well. so hopefully they can put up some good results.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Really excited about this series.

West Indies have actually given England a lot of trouble the last few home series (and away in 2017).

I would have no trouble with either Brooks or Campbell getting a start, Brooks compared to most of his contemporaries has had a solid career for a long time. Campbell was very consistent through the first half of the home domestic season (albeit in one day cricket) and has time on his side.

Brathwaite
Campbell
Hope
Bravo
Hetmeyer
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Warrican
Roach
Gabriel

(Just checked your side Kyptastic and realised they’re the same haha).

It’s a solid side and if there’s a bit of spice in the wicket I don’t see why it can’t compete.

The curators hopefully learned from England winning in SL and don’t roll out slow turners.
Windies have had a good-ish couple of years prior to the India-Bangladesh tour.
Now they need to make it count for something

Expect England to win, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Their failure to win in the 2015 series in the West Indies and their loss in 2009 were both huge surprises though, and it's not a bad side that WI are turning out, especially with Bravo back, so let's hope for a third upset.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Expect England to win, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Their failure to win in the 2015 series in the West Indies and their loss in 2009 were both huge surprises though, and it's not a bad side that WI are turning out, especially with Bravo back, so let's hope for a third upset.

This is a much, much better side on paper than the last one they rolled out. No Keemo Paul - Holder is back for him, no Kieron Powell, no Bishoo.

Interesting notes ahead of the series:

- Jermaine Blackwood has been given a chance to impress and prove he’s got something to offer in the ongoing tour match (England finished day one at 9-310 or so).

- Kirk Edwards who had some flashes of real promise during his test career then kind of Ian Baker-Finched it out of cricket at all levels for a while, has returned to first class cricket and hit 149 with Windwards following on against Guyana on the weekend.

- in the same game, chasing a small target, Hetmeyer hit 62..... off 29 balls.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Hetmyer is my favourite cricketer of all time. Deadset if the windies needed a run to win a test with 9 wickets down. Hetmyer would try and hit the next ball to the moon to win the game. Zero f**ks given. Love it

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Deadset I could eat a can of alphabet soup and sh*t a better book than tino best's autobiography. What a clown he was

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hetmyer is my favourite cricketer of all time. Deadset if the windies needed a run to win a test with 9 wickets down. Hetmyer would try and hit the next ball to the moon to win the game. Zero f**ks given. Love it

Hahaha yeah there’s an element of that ‘I don’t care, I can hit any ball for 6’ that is endearing.
It was interesting watching all the batsmen formulate their own plans in Asia as to how to conquer spin - Brathwaite playing back and blocking everything, Powell running down the wicket to get to the pitch of the ball even when blocking etc.

Hetmeyer’s was about as basic as it gets: try and hit every single ball as long and high as I can no matter where it’s bowled.

With ABDV, Gayle and McCullum gone from test cricket, Warner perhaps not quite as breakneck as he once was, Hetmeyer is the man most capable of breaking McCullum’s record I reckon. He or Shaw.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Mate try going for them and having your hopes pinned on the c*** to bowl a sensible spell and get you some wickets.

I’d have been more confident in Kurt Fearnley having a shot at goal from 50 out.
Hard bro. Hard... I hear you loud and clear. It's so frustrating. Sorta like trying to get Dylan Napa to do the dishes but he keeps jacking it to his mate shadow boxing in the corner of the lounge!! Or if you're Dylan Napa and you try and get people to refer to you as big papi but they don't.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Wow jack Edwards is out. What a surprise!! He was going in for an audition for point break 3 but wandered into the middle of the pitch instead

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Hahaha yeah there’s an element of that ‘I don’t care, I can hit any ball for 6’ that is endearing.
It was interesting watching all the batsmen formulate their own plans in Asia as to how to conquer spin - Brathwaite playing back and blocking everything, Powell running down the wicket to get to the pitch of the ball even when blocking etc.

Hetmeyer’s was about as basic as it gets: try and hit every single ball as long and high as I can no matter where it’s bowled.

With ABDV, Gayle and McCullum gone from test cricket, Warner perhaps not quite as breakneck as he once was, Hetmeyer is the man most capable of breaking McCullum’s record I reckon. He or Shaw.
1000000%agree with you. There are just zero f**ks given by the bloke. The guy must be fried out of his mind every single time he bats. And I absolutely love that.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Tim southee is another one. Ever see him bat? No matter what the state of the game, no matter how much NZ need him to knuckle down and face some overs, no matter if the guy at the other end is on 99 and needs Tim to see the next ball out. Tim will always, and I mean absolutely always, have a brain explosion and convince himself that if he doesn't try and hit the next ball into orbit his pants will instantly fill with excrement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I feel bad now because Gabriel is one of my favourite bowlers in world cricket.

But that was still inexcusable lol.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel bad now because Gabriel is one of my favourite bowlers in world cricket.

But that was still inexcusable lol.

Lol I got up about 20 minutes before that ‘incident’ and was just rapt that we were still going - Chase had played a blinder, and out of nowhere, largely thanks to Gabriel’s amazing improvement with the ball, we were on the verge of a great drawn series.

Then that! I absolutely love the bloke as a bowler, he’s cold, aggressive without being a f***head, emotionless, fast, and stupidly improved. And his batting is sub-Bumrah levels.

Sammo360

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Cornwall still can't get in the Windies. Just took 10 wickets to go with his 8 in his previous FC game. Surely they can play 2 spinners.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Cornwall still can't get in the Windies. Just took 10 wickets to go with his 8 in his previous FC game. Surely they can play 2 spinners.

The problem he’s got is that they already use Chase as their second spinner and while he’s no world beater with the bat, he is probably the most reliable member of the middle order, and he’s coming off a century in India and half century in Bangladesh in four tests where we struggled to get the ball off the square.

There is no doubt Cornwall suffers from Fatty Cosgrove syndrome whereby his credentials are ignored because of his size, and absolutely he’s earned the right to a go. Personally I’d play him ahead of the solid but not world beating Warrican - he’s no real step down with the ball, plus he has 4 list A centuries and another at FC level.

Put him in and suddenly, as fragile as our batting order looks, it has Dowrich at 7, Holder at 8 and Cornwall at 9, and with Holder, Roach and Gabriel in the attack, it’s a side with a lot of strings to its bow

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

The hitting in that b2b 100 and 90odd against India in the One-Dayers was sublime to watch

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Can't see any other result than an England victory in the test series.

Would expect them to win the ODI series too, the form they have been in.

T20 could go either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back