England tour of the West Indies 2019 (3 Tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ah well. Pretty proud that we took the game that deep.

The problem with lower order all-rounders being in that situation is that they are virtually incapable of going at rapid pace for longer than 6-7 overs without making a mistake.

That innings was a microcosm of Brathwaite’s puzzling batting status.

He looks almost test quality when he’s playing his first 20 balls - hitting one’s and twos, getting behind the line of the ball, playing straight. Then he explodes and looks a pure T20 player. The reality is he’s not quite one or the other.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Ah well. Pretty proud that we took the game that deep.

The problem with lower order all-rounders being in that situation is that they are virtually incapable of going at rapid pace for longer than 6-7 overs without making a mistake.

That innings was a microcosm of Brathwaite’s puzzling batting status.

He looks almost test quality when he’s playing his first 20 balls - hitting one’s and twos, getting behind the line of the ball, playing straight. Then he explodes and looks a pure T20 player. The reality is he’s not quite one or the other.

You'd have to say Windies are up there with England and India as favourites going into the World Cup.

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
You'd have to say Windies are up there with England and India as favourites going into the World Cup.
Especially a fit and firing Gayle. We really need Maxwell batting at 5 for us to make the most of his abilities. Much like the role Buttler plays for England. If he faces 50-70 balls he's more than likely to ton up.

I'm loving the competitiveness in all cricket formats at the moment. Seems to be a lot of upsets happening.

As good as England’s batting must have been (I woke up at the start of the reply), fair to say Wood and Plunkett were the difference for you blokes

In a match like this how Wood wasn’t MOTM is dumb. Two blokes got 150+...why was one better than another? Wood’s bowling was the difference

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

If it was just based on batting - remembering one of our openers is probably only keeping a spot warm, and Russell is still to return, I would give us every chance of going on a bit of a hot streak and making the semis, then who knows.

Unfortunately with Narine still remodelling his action we haven’t got a holding spinner. Gabriel and Roach are still to return to the attack but we have a horrible habit of simply not being able to contain anyone when things start getting on a roll

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Buttler was 45 (44) and then 93 (54)! He went 6 4 4 | didn't face | 4 4 6 4 4 | 6 6 1

And was dropped off that last ball.

Least balls to score an ODI 150:
64 - AB de Villiers (2015)
77 - J Buttler (today)

Also in 2015, AB de Villiers scored 149 (44) which I'm sure would have been a record to never be broken. He was 147 (41) then went 2 . OUT

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Buttler was 45 (44) and then 93 (54)! He went 6 4 4 | didn't face | 4 4 6 4 4 | 6 6 1

And was dropped off that last ball.

Least balls to score an ODI 150:
64 - AB de Villiers (2015)
77 - J Buttler (today)

Also in 2015, AB de Villiers scored 149 (44) which I'm sure would have been a record to never be broken. He was 147 (41) then went 2 . OUT
The 149 was at the Wanderers just before the world cup v West Indies and he just attacked the absolute s**t out of the short boundary. He was taking the piss. I was then at the 64-ball 150 against the West Indies at the world cup and it was the most astonishing hitting I have ever seen live.

Back