England "very likely" to be sole host of Euro 2020 this summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The delayed Euro 2020 could be coming to the UK this summer, as fears over further coronavirus spreads put current plans for a Europe-wide tournament in danger.

According to BeIN Sports correspondent Tancredi Palmeri, the competition is now "very likely" to be held solely in England.

The Euros were intended to be held last year, and would mark the European Championships 60th anniversary by being held in 12 'host cities' across Europe, rather than the traditional format of a single host country, or two joint host nations.

Time to scrap the Euros me thinks. Time to put this season on hold for a couple of months to ride out the virus and finish off the season in July again.
Why put season on hold now as numbers go down? Or is this a biased view from a Pool supporter hoping to have time for injured players to recover?

Why put season on hold now as numbers go down? Or is this a biased view from a Pool supporter hoping to have time for injured players to recover?

You should have seen Liverpool supporter posts last year when the shoe was....literally on the other foot.

Numbers are still far more than last year. Let the vaccine take hold, flatten the curve then resume (with reduced capacity crowds if numbers drop enough).

No biased view, would be demanding null & void if that was the case. Euros seem pointless without fans. Makes logical sense to take a break now and continue into June.

Numbers are still far more than last year. Let the vaccine take hold, flatten the curve then resume (with reduced capacity crowds if numbers drop enough).

No biased view, would be demanding null & void if that was the case. Euros seem pointless without fans. Makes logical sense to take a break now and continue into June.
The second wave started around time season started and peaked early January. Quite a drop since. Would make no sense to pause now

E890ADB4-CC42-4DD5-BF52-56ED94076D2B.jpeg

The second wave started around time season started and peaked early January. Quite a drop since. Would make no sense to pause now

View attachment 1065825

It would mean bringing fans back for a good portion of the remainder of the season. Its worth doing it for that alone. Especially for clubs in lower leagues.

Scrap CL/EL & scrap Euro 2020. It makes sense.

You should have seen Liverpool supporter posts last year when the shoe was....literally on the other foot.
Remember when it was mentioned that the season could be cancelled? Boy oh boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this whole story is based on a tweet by a Bein correspondent and no other evidence. Sounds legit.
To be fair, I have read today that Boris Johnson has offered to play all the games in England.

With vaccination programs across Europe a bit of a disaster, it does actually make a bit of sense.

I think there might not be any restrictions on crowds then as well.

To be fair, I have read today that Boris Johnson has offered to play all the games in England.

With vaccination programs across Europe a bit of a disaster, it does actually make a bit of sense.

I think there might not be any restrictions on crowds then as well.

Why not Scotland and Wales? Last report I saw, UEFA still wants to hold the tournament across Europe. I don't think there's much in this story.

No reason why Scotland and Wales wouldnt be involved. They're at a similiar stage of vaccinations as England.

Its just an offer made by Johnson, and probably wont be accepted.

It does make sense though, most of the rest of Europe are still expecting a third wave in the future.

The whole point of the Euros bring postponed was for fans to attend.

Just scrap it, along with UEFA club comps. Push leagues back so actual fans can attend games for the last part of the season so there isnt an entire season played without crowds.
No.

Euros wont be scrapped

European club comps wont be scrapped.

And the premier league arent going to put the season on hold just so they can play through the offseaaon and * up next season as well.

London could host the whole thing .
Wembley
New white hart Lane
Emirates
Olympic stadium
Stamford bridge

even teams like Brentford have solid stadiums .

Euros wont be scrapped

European club comps wont be scrapped.

And the premier league arent going to put the season on hold just so they can play through the offseaaon and fu** up next season as well.

Football has been going uninterrupted (except for a 3 week break from one season to the next) since last July. What makes anyone think that it’s going to be scrapped at this point?

It’s amazing how a persons thoughts about football being cancelled/not cancelled and fans attending/not able to attend can change so rapidly from one year to the next.

The whole point of the Euros bring postponed was for fans to attend.

Just scrap it, along with UEFA club comps. Push leagues back so actual fans can attend games for the last part of the season so there isnt an entire season played without crowds.

I think it was more around the uncertainty of qualification and whether the finals games could be played. The play-off qualifiers ended up being played in November.

The games are far from ideal without fans but all the tournaments are going ahead. Hopefully fans will be back in the stands for the end of this league season then possibly full stadiums for the Euros.

I think it was more around the uncertainty of qualification and whether the finals games could be played. The play-off qualifiers ended up being played in November.

The games are far from ideal without fans but all the tournaments are going ahead. Hopefully fans will be back in the stands for the end of this league season then possibly full stadiums for the Euros.

There wont be full stadiums for a long time. 25% will be the rule for Euros this summer and no travelling fans pretty much unless they want ro quarantine first.

Scrap it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back