England vs Ireland - Only Test, Lord's, 24th-27th July 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Give me a spell. Not saying we're great, but half the blokes playing for Ireland are playing reserve second grade in the second division of the County Championship.

To put that into perspective, Marnus Labuschagne is top scoring in the second division by almost 300 runs...
A point with merit.

But Trent Bridge happened.

So there’s no guarantees that Australia would be doing any better

A point with merit.

But Trent Bridge happened.

So there’s no guarantees that Australia would be doing any better
It did. And of course it hypothetically could happen again. The cynicism on this board is a bit much though.

England squad for First Test just announced.
Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.

Mooen's a lucky boy.

Root at 3 is a gamble , but we dont have any other options.
Bairstow needs to be dropped.
Drop Bairstow?

I don't know if you're aware but after Root he's the only batsman with a passable Test record (that's available).

No other batsman comes anywhere close to being Test standard.

On SM-J330G using BigFooty.com mobile app

A sustained period of time? He's played 4 tests at Lords in his career for 24/234 with games against Ireland, Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka. He's played 5 ODI's there for at an average of 25.

He's not even the most dominant player at Lords let alone all grounds.

McGrath took 26/299 in his 3 tests played there with obviously all of them against England. He also played 6 ODI's there at an average of 22.

McGrath may have taken 20 wickets against that Irish side at Lords if he got to play them....

Steves Smiths 10 innings at the MCG for 4 x 100's and 3 x 50's @ 134 is just only slightly better....

If you want all time, Bradman batted 17 innings at the MCG and knocked 9 x 100's & 3 x 50's @ 128.

Or alternatively the Don had 5 innings at Headingly in his test career for 4 x 100's @ 192 including his HS of 334.... The Don only played at 2 grounds in his entire test career that he didn't score a double century on, Trent Bridge and Old Trafford.

He scored at least 200+ at the MCG, Headingly, Adelaide, Gabba, The Oval, Lords, Sydney, and the Brisbane Exhibition ground (pre Gabba).

Obviously I've got a bit of recency bias, seems he has had some awesome performances each there every season & can throw in his ton there too. :)

Drop our highest scorer, good selection decision...

Even on a seaming wicket I don't think Curran will play, so while I also wouldn't have expected Leach to have been in he XI I'm surprised they haven't at least allowed for the option pending on pitch & weather forecast.

Even on a seaming wicket I don't think Curran will play, so while I also wouldn't have expected Leach to have been in he XI I'm surprised they haven't at least allowed for the option pending on pitch & weather forecast.

We’ve dropped a spinner who averages 26 for one averaging 36, it’s insanity.

Forgot about Stone, so many bowling options, I can see them playing Stokes, Ali and the 4 quicks, overkill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back