Toast English Class is in. Welcome to the Dogs Tim English Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Clay is a scary looking dude. He might be a sweetheart for all I know, but when there is jumper punches and shenanigans on the field, blokes who grab him and get up close lose interest very soon when they see its him they have grabbed. His resting face just seems to be 'imminent violence' even if its not actually so.

Trying to find a pic of Mumford grabbing him & yelling right in his face, Clay is looking straight back at him just smirking

Wonder if English would have slipped to us if the third man up rule ban was in place pre-draft?

I wondered same thing mofra - the implications on such a rule change on list management is so interesting - why I believe trials or pre determined warnings are best for decisions like that.

Ie. 2018 season implementation to at least give more time for training and testing combative techniques are stoppages or aide in player direction and development

Wonder if English would have slipped to us if the third man up rule ban was in place pre-draft?
Although this scenario will favour us picking up English this year as you have sugggested - it shows how the AFL comes up with an ill timed yearly brain farts just for the sake of it. This one just defies logic.

By all reports tapwork isn't Englishs greatest strength so would it really have made a difference?
He has only been rucking for two seasons - his highlights showed that he is far from clueless when it comes to tap work. Steve King will sort him out.

He has only been rucking for two seasons - his highlights showed that he is far from clueless when it comes to tap work. Steve King will sort him out.
Yeah no doubt, I'm not worried about him at all. Just think it's maybe a bit of a reach to think that the rule change would have made any difference to where he was drafted at considering what his main strengths are.

Yeah no doubt, I'm not worried about him at all. Just think it's maybe a bit of a reach to think that the rule change would have made any difference to where he was drafted at considering what his main strengths are.
I'd say his strengths make him more valuable for the rule change. Clubs have been opting for more mobile options over traditional ruckmen recently. The traditional ruckmen still have deficiencies around the ground- that isn't going to change. The vast majority of mobile ruckmen have just become less useful. Thanks to the rule change, most ruckmen now have a glaring deficiency that can't be easily fixed (previously, hitout deficiencies could be fixed). This makes English an even rarer commodity- a mobile ruckman with the size to dominate hitouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From an article on the AFL website:

785fda1b1578581bfb0bd4406cda3ff4.jpg

Sounds like English is really kicking on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Strange they mention his marking prowess as it was one area (with tapwork) that was noted as a weakness pre-draft, with English being excellent at everything else.
Fast learner?

Strange they mention his marking prowess as it was one area (with tapwork) that was noted as a weakness pre-draft, with English being excellent at everything else.
Fast learner?
played as a midfielder during his juniors and only once he grew he became a ruckman

Fast learner?

Seems to be!

If he can add some weight and keep all of his athletic attributes - he's going to be something special. Excited to see him play, especially underneath our structures. He'll fit right in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd suggest our talls are probably a little bit better than the competition he faced at under 18 level if that's what you're getting at.

We have few players that are great contested 1v1 marks. Maybe Cloke is the only one good at it on the list. We have a lot of third man up and pack marking players but rarely do we see 1v1 victories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back