Toast English Class is in. Welcome to the Dogs Tim English Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re so lucky to have our ruck position sorted for the next 10 years - and for him to be an absolute superstar in the making is even better.

Really sets us up - list wise.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One stat that got overlooked a little on Friday night was that we scored 7.6 directly from stoppages.

13 shots on goal from stoppages is outrageous and a testament to Tim's development as a ruckman and growing synergy with the onballers.

Or the latest fashion accessory to wear around your neck - the Tim English Adam's apple:

View attachment 915622

Maybe a Groucho-mask-like combination of the bouffant and the apple!
You know what they say about a man with a big Adam's apple...

Big hands. Bigger than Tommy Boyd even.

The man can mark. And if he doesn't mark he brings it to ground and follows up with a great second effort. He's so valuable to our kick-ins, plan B is kick long and hard to English if the tippy tappy running game isn't on offer.

Worked as a recruiter/scout for another Melbourne based team in 2016. Saw a lot of English that year, our group ranked him as the best of the WA crop, which included Powell-Pepper, Petrevski-Seton, Bolton, Fisher among others. Personally think he will be the best player in the competition at some stage. Side note, Naughton from Peel was on our watch list. Round 1, my report went back telling them forget the Naughton on the list, little brother Aaron is the one to watch.

Worked as a recruiter/scout for another Melbourne based team in 2016. Saw a lot of English that year, our group ranked him as the best of the WA crop, which included Powell-Pepper, Petrevski-Seton, Bolton, Fisher among others. Personally think he will be the best player in the competition at some stage. Side note, Naughton from Peel was on our watch list. Round 1, my report went back telling them forget the Naughton on the list, little brother Aaron is the one to watch.
I don’t disagree with you re English. I’ve written on this forum some time ago he will be the best player in the comp, despite some of my bulldog brethren wavering in their conviction. He is just incredibly skilfull for a player of his size.

His marking around the ground seems to be the key to us winning. In all of our wins he's had 6+ marks, in all of our loses he's had 4 or less. He's also just a tad behind Naughton's contested mark average last year which is pretty incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His marking around the ground seems to be the key to us winning. In all of our wins he's had 6+ marks, in all of our loses he's had 4 or less. He's also just a tad behind Naughton's contested mark average last year which is pretty incredible.
The most incredible thing is - he doesn't look particularly good at it. But he obviously judges it in the air exceptionally and his height and long arms work to his advantage. Contrast his pack marking with Naughton who attacks the footy in the air as good as anyone in the comp and has vice like hands.

Once Timmy gets a bit more strength, he'll get the that prime position more and more and will be very hard to beat in the air (he is already!)

It's been said before but worth repeating: he looks more and more like Gary Dempsey the way he takes those one-grab plucks, especially drifting back in defence.
I'm too young to have seen Dempsey but, particularly given his blonde hair, he also reminds me a lot of Scott Wynd circa 1998 dropping back for a defensive intercept.

Probably helped by the fact that Powell-Pepper, Petrevski-Seton, Bolton and Fisher are all a bit s**t.

English's marking ability has more to do with the fact he's a natural footballer who understands when he has to push into packs and when he has to push into space, more than the marks itself.

Another element of his skills helping the team is the fact that we trust him to use the ball after those marks. No players running alongside looking for the handball or the ridiculously short kick. Treat him like a midfielder and that opens up how we use the and the options we have after those marks. Everyone trusts him and spreads for him.

Probably helped by the fact that Powell-Pepper, Petrevski-Seton, Bolton and Fisher are all a bit sh*t.
To be fair Powell-Pepper is an absolute hard ball beast, albeit with not the greatest disposal. Had the club i was with had an early enough pick that's who they would have taken. Petrevski-Seton an absolute Rolls-Royce who looks to have stagnated. Bolton did nothing for me all the times I watched him, up until a final where he played the best quarter of football from an individual I've ever seen. Single handedly brought his side back into the contest. Fisher an absolute gun, unfortunately a bit of a boy amongst men still. He played league footy all 2016 with a struggling Perth side, regularly in the centre square and one of their best performer all year/ would probably at this stage be a bit of cream for a side contending.
English still the best of the lot though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back