Toast English Class is in. Welcome to the Dogs Tim English Pick 19

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looked like he was a big fish out of water in first half but once he got into ruck he looked more comfortable. Actually team looked better when he was in ruck and Toyd forward

Funny that everyone around bay 36 was shouting kick it to Tim in last qrt to see if he could get a goal.

Probably back to 2s now but he should play a few more games this year

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

His cleanness of hand and vision in close is just something to see. Also got to the right spots when moving forward just got double teamed and mashed when under the high ball. He's an absolute certainty...in time.

p.s Just happend to be standing next to one of his junior coaches who flew over for Tim's debut. He couldn't have spoken more highly of him if he tried.

Ricky_Lake

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2008
western suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i wonder if he would be the first debutante in the history of the AFL likely to receive a $1000 fine for colliding with an umpire although it wasnt his fault???

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
784cee5237164a6b6bf3e76aec096ff8.jpg

Considering he was played out of position it was an ok debut. I think he will be a great player in 3-4 years.

The experiment didn't work however.
What experiment do you mean? Playing him as a tall forward?

i wonder if he would be the first debutante in the history of the AFL likely to receive a $1000 fine for colliding with an umpire although it wasnt his fault???

Would be a farce if he gets fined for an umpiring mistake

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
People saying that it didn't work, don't understand why he played yesterday. Worked perfectly. Played his role.
It worked in some ways and not others. The inclusion of he and Roughead allowed us to force Carlisle back (although I would argue that he didn't make their forward line any more potent than it was previously, and that taking him out of the backline had a significant detrimental effect on their defensive structures) and to have more of a presence on the follow up than Longer, but for large chunks of the game the Saints paid him no respect and allowed him space in favour of double teaming others.

I think there were pros and cons. I certainly don't think it's as simple as, "It worked, anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't understand."

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It worked in some ways and not others. The inclusion of he and Roughead allowed us to force Carlisle back (although I would argue that he didn't make their forward line any more potent than it was previously, and that taking him out of the backline had a significant detrimental effect on their defensive structures) and to have more of a presence on the follow up than Longer, but for large chunks of the game the Saints paid him no respect and allowed him space in favour of double teaming others.

I think there were pros and cons. I certainly don't think it's as simple as, "It worked, anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't understand."
Playing English also allowed us to play Roughead. No way he could have rucked many more minures the what he did.

It actually does show a lack of understanding of why he played to think otherwise. The MC picked him for specific reasons. If people can't work out why, that would be a lack of understanding.

To suggest we play the best 22 fit players each week isn't how footy works. Of course McLean would have provided more but would he have allowed others do to more? Probably not.

With English, it wasn't necessarily what he was going to do. It was what he allowed others to do, and what he allowed us as a team to do.

Last edited:

DelRe

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Playing English also allowed us to play Roughead. No way he could have rucked many more minures the what he did.

It actually does show a lack of understanding of why he played to think otherwise. The MC picked him for specific reasons. If people can't work out why, that would be a lack of understanding.

To suggest we play the best 22 fit players each week isn't how footy works. Of course McLean would have provided more but would he have allowed others do to more? Probably not.

With English, it wasn't necessarily what he was going to do. It was what he allowed others to do, and what he allowed us as a team to do.
Not sure how big a factor in English's selection it was to allow Roughead to play. He was a late replacement (which may well have been planned, but we don't seem to use those tactics much) plus if it was just for that then Cloke could easily have been a better pick in drawing a player and having the fitness. My guess is he was showing enough to warrant a game combined with a desire to drop Cloke and Redpath for various reasons. Plus maybe this one fitted the profile with only Longer who doesn't seem to get much out of his taps anyway - got a lot on the weekend and didn't win the centre clearances - although the Richmond game would equally have been a good game for that reason as well.

As opposed to Dunkley or Jong?
Boyd's rucked mostly solo in quite a few games this year, to suggest Roughead couldn't ruck as much in his third game back as some of our pinch hitters does him a disservice

Back