Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The 90s were very Saints like With Shearer like Tony Lockett and a heap of stars coming through, Viduka was there Andy Cole, Ginola, Gazza etc. Lots of talent and characters and not much success.

They had a guy Mc Donald back in the 70s who was like Plugger..... 138 goals in 5 seasons..

Did McDonald end up going to Arsenal and being a super dud ? I vaguely remember somebody like that who never lived up to the hype back around then .

Go Saints

Did McDonald end up going to Arsenal and being a super dud ? I vaguely remember somebody like that who never lived up to the hype back around then .

Go Saints

I'm not sure, that was before my time, those are the kinds of stories that I was sold Newcastle on. I had to google him to find out how many goals he'd scored and didn't read on.

Just decide to google again.

Looks like he went okay at Arsenal before a knee did him in. 84 appearances for 42 goals and twice their top scorer and a golden boot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Macdonald

Sunday 16 September 2018
Bournemouth00:00 Leicester

Chelsea 00:00 Cardiff

Huddersfield 00:00 Crystal Palace

Man City 00:00 Fulham

Newcastle 00:00 Arsenal

Watford 02:30 Man Utd

Wolves 22:30 Burnley

Monday 17 September 2018
Everton01:00 West Ham

Tuesday 18 September 2018
Southampton 05:00 Brighton

Go Saints
These times are all edt yeah

All this Liverpool love is making me sick!
Can't stand the lousy scouser scum....No disrespect Jiggster!
Opinion probably formed when i was chased by about 50 of their feral f#ckers
after United spanked them at Anfield...Ahh good times!

Massive Man United Man here....
The only true religion!
Have had some truly memorable amazing times following this majestic club last 30 yrs
Has helped counteract the constant disappointment of the Saints!
Going through a lean patch for us last few years but we'll be back soon
you can count on it!
After 20 yrs of total domination, i can't complain...
Tbh it was probably needed as United fans have been getting too blase about all their success.
Hungry for them to fire up again....Still early days this season
Loserpool will find their usual way to choke it up again. Make no mistake!
If only Geraard was still there to slip slip slip away again lol

Steve Geraard Geraard he slipped on his f#cking arse........

Everton 1 - WHU 3

Go Saints

Well done Hammers. You took your chances. We on the other hand have THREE strikers, none of whom could hit a cows arse with a banjo!
My club (Everton) are hardly setting the world on fire at the moment...however, (unlike West Ham United) we’re not still waiting to win our first league championship.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

All this Liverpool love is making me sick!
Can't stand the lousy scouser scum....No disrespect Jiggster!
Opinion probably formed when i was chased by about 50 of their feral f#ckers
after United spanked them at Anfield...Ahh good times!

Massive Man United Man here....
The only true religion!
Have had some truly memorable amazing times following this majestic club last 30 yrs
Has helped counteract the constant disappointment of the Saints!
Going through a lean patch for us last few years but we'll be back soon
you can count on it!
After 20 yrs of total domination, i can't complain...
Tbh it was probably needed as United fans have been getting too blase about all their success.
Hungry for them to fire up again....Still early days this season
Loserpool will find their usual way to choke it up again. Make no mistake!
If only Geraard was still there to slip slip slip away again lol

Steve Geraard Geraard he slipped on his f#cking arse........

Just one question mate. Are you a Manchester-born man? Or are you born and bred here in Australia?

Just one question mate. Are you a Manchester-born man? Or are you born and bred here in Australia?

Born and bred here Jiggster!
Spent a fair bit of time in Manchester during the nineties and noughties
whenever i go back i make it a special necessity to get to Old Trafford or any United matches
BTW When i bang on about hate for Scousers i should clarify strictly Liverpool nuffies
No real problem with Everton and am always on their wagon when they play their whiny neighbours!

Absolutely love the unique atmosphere and banter in the EPL!
Have grown to really love the away game day experience when the army really comes together
Beautifully tribal and s**t loads of fun
We could do with some of it here in the AFL!

I'm not sure, that was before my time, those are the kinds of stories that I was sold Newcastle on. I had to google him to find out how many goals he'd scored and didn't read on.

Just decide to google again.

Looks like he went okay at Arsenal before a knee did him in. 84 appearances for 42 goals and twice their top scorer and a golden boot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Macdonald

Oh so he wasn’t a dud at Arsenal, I remember it wrong , it was a long time ago.

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spurs are so frustrating, literally from week to week it changes we go from super dangerous and creating opportunities left right and centre to about as potent as jack billings kicking a set shot. Alli and Lloris out didn't help but we didn't help ourselves by not getting another CM/DM in the transfer window and getting stuck with Dier.

whenever i go back i make it a special necessity to get to Old Trafford or any United matches
BTW When i bang on about hate for Scousers i should clarify strictly Liverpool nuffies
No real problem with Everton and am always on their wagon when they play their whiny neighbours!

Have grown to really love the away game day experience when the army really comes together

“Born and bred here”...... yes I had a shrewd idea you were. I thought your comment about “lousy scouser scum..... no disrespect Jiggster” was amusing. You disrespect my heritage..... and then say “no disrespect”

The term "banter" is used to attempt to excuse a multitude of sins. Hey, we barrack for St Kilda, so you have my respect. But there's a reason I don't venture onto EPL discussion boards. If you're a Man U or Liverpool fan eventually the "banter" will become vile and refer to fatalities - a bit like Collingwood-St Kilda and John Greening.

Have fun guys - if we just want to discuss what happens on the field, then I'm happy to participate, but otherwise I'll be giving it a wide berth.

“Born and bred here”...... yes I had a shrewd idea you were. I thought your comment about “lousy scouser scum..... no disrespect Jiggster” was amusing. You disrespect my heritage..... and then say “no disrespect”

Was talking in a purely footballing sense Jiggster!
just a bit of banter.
Feel free to disrespect my heritage anytime you like
i do regularly!

Just have a special dislike for Liverpool fans in England
Being an Evertonian thought you might understand!
Have quite a few Scouse mates...Was just being cheeky...
Don't take it personally mate...It's all in good fun!

Actually really enjoy the back and forth banter at EPL games
So when the Scouse ferals make songs about aeroplanes going down
We fire right back at them! Sometimes United V Liverpool matches
get pretty toxic in atmosphere! but sure makes for great theatre!

The term "banter" is used to attempt to excuse a multitude of sins. Hey, we barrack for St Kilda, so you have my respect. But there's a reason I don't venture onto EPL discussion boards. If you're a Man U or Liverpool fan eventually the "banter" will become vile and refer to fatalities - a bit like Collingwood-St Kilda and John Greening.

Have fun guys - if we just want to discuss what happens on the field, then I'm happy to participate, but otherwise I'll be giving it a wide berth.

Spot-on Punter! Wise words my friend. I remember with some affection, the days when “ going to the match” was a joy! ( results notwithstanding)
I grew up in Anfield, Liverpool 4. My old man was dyed in the wool Everton, I followed suit. However, although I loved Everton, I loved the GAME itself so much that I went to watch Liverpool Home games every other week with my dear Uncle Chas..a dyed in the wool Kopite! And every other week Uncle Chas came to Goodison with me. We indulged in banter between the two of us, but always kept it about the football. The nineteen fifties and early-to-late sixties were a wonderful time to be watching the game. It was an era before wealth determined success for many clubs. It was an era before supporting your team meant just THAT, I never felt the need to join with a pack of yobs to beat up and kick the s**t out of opposition fans to show my love of my club. In my humble opinion, this fascination with the EPL as (quote) “ the greatest football competition in the world” is baffling. It is ( again in my humble opinion ) an absolute JOKE of a “competition”
Many Australians who follow English soccer, have ( with respect ) not a CLUE as to its history and role in British working class culture.

Last edited:

“We could do with some of it here in the AFL!”........ REALLY? Be careful what you wish for mate!

Was talking in a purely footballing sense Jiggster!
just a bit of banter.
Feel free to disrespect my heritage anytime you like
i do regularly!

Just have a special dislike for Liverpool fans in England
Being an Evertonian thought you might understand!
Have quite a few Scouse mates...Was just being cheeky...
Don't take it personally mate...It's all in good fun!

Actually really enjoy the back and forth banter at EPL games
So when the Scouse ferals make songs about aeroplanes going down
We fire right back at them! Sometimes United V Liverpool matches
get pretty toxic in atmosphere! but sure makes for great theatre!

“ great theatre “ do me a favour!

Spot-on Punter! Wise words my friend. I remember with some affection, the days when “ going to the match” was a joy! ( results notwithstanding)
I grew up in Anfield, Liverpool 4. My old man was dyed in the wool Everton, I followed suit. However, although I loved Everton, I loved the GAME itself so much that I went to watch Liverpool Home games every other week with my dear Uncle Chas..a dyed in the wool Kopite! The nineteen fifties and early to late sixties were a wonderful time to be watching the game. It was an era before wealth determined success for many clubs. In my humble opinion, this fascination with the EPL as (quote) “ the greatest football competition in the world” is baffling. It is ( again in my humble opinion ) an absolute JOKE of a “competition”
Many Australians who follow English soccer, have ( with respect ) not a CLUE as to its history and role in British working class culture.

I tend to agree with the competition bit, but it's more of a competition than some of the European leagues.

The class stuff I have read about and comprehend, but I don't have any love for that simply because I think sport should bring people together across the divides. I would hope I could share the joy of a St Kilda premiership with anyone who loved the club, regardless of political affiliation. Two of our greatest five players are a former Labor MP and a WASPy right-winger. It takes all types.

I tend to agree with the competition bit, but it's more of a competition than some of the European leagues.

The class stuff I have read about and comprehend, but I don't have any love for that simply because I think sport should bring people together across the divides. I would hope I could share the joy of a St Kilda premiership with anyone who loved the club, regardless of political affiliation. Two of our greatest five players are a former Labor MP and a WASPy right-winger. It takes all types.

You my friend are SO on the money here! Kudos! I listen to SO much absolute garbage from EPL- following Aussies here..... “banter” ? Yeah! RIGHT!
I hear what you say about the “class” reference. I mentioned it merely to show that soccer/football was in the main, followed by working class folk, mainly men. Despite the game being controlled and run by wealthy elites! But that’s another discussion! I absolutely endorse your sentiments about footy bringing people together, again kudos for that.
Sadly my last home game in England before we emigrated was marred by (ahem) “tribal banter” when ( after being pasted 4-0 by Everton) West Ham fans went on a rampage around the streets surrounding Goodison. I had my 75 year old father, 13 year old and ten year old daughters with me as we huddled together in a shop doorway for safety. “Great theatre”? “Banter”? As I say, “do me a favour!”

Last edited:
You my friend are SO on the money here! Kudos! I listen to SO much absolute garbage from EPL- following Aussies here..... “banter” ? Yeah! RIGHT!
I hear what you say about the “class” reference. I mentioned it merely to show that soccer/football was in the main, followed by working class folk, mainly men. Despite the game being controlled and run by wealthy elites! But that’s another discussion! I absolutely endorse your sentiments about footy bringing people together, again kudos for that.
Sadly my last home game in England before we emigrated was marred by (ahem) “tribal banter” when ( after being pasted 4-0 by Everton) West Ham fans went on a rampage around the streets surrounding Goodison. I had my 75 year old father, 13 year old and ten year old daughters with me as we huddled together in a shop doorway for safety. “Great theatre”? “Banter”? As I say, “do me a favour!”

Take it easy man!
Who the hell was talking about violence and rampaging on the streets?
was merely observing that i love the back and forth singing and atmosphere!
As for Aussies following EPL and talking garbage, that in itself is garbage!
Anyone can follow or love the game no matter where they are from!
Can't stand the attitude of some in England that if your not from Manchester or Liverpool
you dont deserve to be involved or it makes you any less of a supporter
Have been in love with United since the late 70's and couldn't give a toss about
whether others think that being an aussie i don't understand the game!
To me banter means creating atmosphere by singing about your own team
nothing more. So please spare me the lecture about being some sort of Green st hooligan!

Glory Glory Man United....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back