Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile Aaron Mooy continues to do the business for Brighton - a genuine shining light.
Only wish we had another dozen players of his quality then we might actually have a decent national team.
Friggin depressing how little top quality football players this country is currently producing, given the participation in the sport at junior levels.
We should be ranking in the top 20 by now.

I'm pessimistic by nature (thanks St.Kilda, haha) but I think if we win our next three we will win the league.

Away v Spurs
Home v Man Utd
Away v Wolves

If we can win those three our next seven are against;

Away v West Ham (16th)
Home v Southampton (12th)
Away v Norwich (20th)
Home v West Ham (16th)
Away v Watford (19th)
Home v Bournemouth (18th)
Away v Everton (11th)

7 straight games against teams in the bottom half of the table - all winnable games.

I don't want to pump the tyres yet because of the lead we gave up last year, but as we keep netting results I get more and more optimistic.

I follow three teams around the world in pro sport. St.Kilda, Philadelphia (NFL) and Liverpool.

I've seen Liverpool win two European Cups and an FA Cup.
I saw Philadelphia win their first ever championship in 2018.

It'll be something I can tick off the list, and would be incredibly grateful to see two things. Liverpool winning the league, and the Saints winning the flag.

GO THE REDS!

I'm pessimistic by nature (thanks St.Kilda, haha) but I think if we win our next three we will win the league.

Away v Spurs
Home v Man Utd
Away v Wolves

If we can win those three our next seven are against;

Away v West Ham (16th)
Home v Southampton (12th)
Away v Norwich (20th)
Home v West Ham (16th)
Away v Watford (19th)
Home v Bournemouth (18th)
Away v Everton (11th)

7 straight games against teams in the bottom half of the table - all winnable games.

I don't want to pump the tyres yet because of the lead we gave up last year, but as we keep netting results I get more and more optimistic.

I follow three teams around the world in pro sport. St.Kilda, Philadelphia (NFL) and Liverpool.

I've seen Liverpool win two European Cups and an FA Cup.
I saw Philadelphia win their first ever championship in 2018.

It'll be something I can tick off the list, and would be incredibly grateful to see two things. Liverpool winning the league, and the Saints winning the flag.

GO THE REDS!

Liverpool won't be caught. The win at Spurs set a new record for the best start to a season by any team in all European leagues. The gap is already too wide.

Liverpool won't be caught. The win at Spurs set a new record for the best start to a season by any team in all European leagues. The gap is already too wide.
I hope so. City can get to 95 points if they win out, meaning 35 more will win us the league. It's a pretty commanding position we're in, but I'm hoping we get out of the next two games with at least 4 out of 6 points.

I don't want to celebrate just yet...

I hope so. City can get to 95 points if they win out, meaning 35 more will win us the league. It's a pretty commanding position we're in, but I'm hoping we get out of the next two games with at least 4 out of 6 points.

I don't want to celebrate just yet...

There’s simply NO way that Liverpool are not going to be EPL champions. A SIXTEEN point lead with a game in hand? PLEASE?!!!!! The reds can afford to lose FIVE games from the remaining fixtures (which their nearest rivals HAVE to win!) and can still salute! Time for you reds fans to stop being coy and just blow that lid right OFF!!!!

Yep! You might as well p!ss on the fire and call the dog!
It's all over!
She is well and truly won! History would suggest that only the Saints would be capable of blowing such a lead!
If i was a sporting gentlemen i should be congratulating you all now!

But you will forgive me given my allegiance if i just refrain for now, lest i get my head around it all! ;)

Yep! You might as well p!ss on the fire and call the dog!
It's all over!
She is well and truly won! History would suggest that only the Saints would be capable of blowing such a lead!
If i was a sporting gentlemen i should be congratulating you all now!

But you will forgive me given my allegiance if i just refrain for now, lest i get my head around it all! ;)

Liverpoo could well go through till May undefeated. City are the only ones likely to make even the slightest dent in that huge points margin. Even the most nervous reds fans must know that it’s all over as a contest. The most one-sided title race in yonks!
I have to tip my hat to Herr Klopp who has done a magnificent job in transforming “also rans” into winners!
I’m hoping against hope that our new manager, Don Carlo Ancelotti, can do a rebuild at Everton half as effectively as Jurgen Klopp

Liverpool were just too strong; we (United) are miles below their level. However, the job Klopp has done at Liverpool shows how quickly improvement can happen; he has been tremendous. They deserve to be champions, as much as it hurts me to say that.

After last seasons absorbing title race going down to the wire I think we were all hoping for another year like that . So excited that Liverpool are finally going to win the League after being so close last season but it is a bit of an anti climax to be this far ahead already . I love that my team are killing it but it’s not a lot of fun for other fans when one team is dominating. Still City have done if for a few years and of course United dominated for years and years .
Not sure what’s gone wrong at City this year , maybe just a case of winning too much and the hunger for the league title isn’t as strong as it was . Maybe I’m not giving Liverpool enough credit , to be this far into the season undefeated plus only one draw as well is amazing .

Good to see Leicester back up near the top .

After years of great sides it’s kinda weird to see both Man U and Arsenal both struggling to attract top players or is it a case of their owners not wanting to spend their money anymore ?

Spurs are a complete mystery to me this season , on paper they look good but they aren’t playing as a team like they did for most of last season .

Bournemouth have fallen into relegation problems which is surprising as they have looked good at times during the last couple seasons .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The EPL title “race” is over. The best side undoubtedly are going to salute at seasons end. My club appear to have finally appointed a manager who can improve our performances and build a squad to challenge the current elite clubs. It will take two-four seasons (in my humble opinion) to bed down a game plan with the players to execute it. I’m old and fortunate enough to remember a period when there were TWO great clubs on Merseyside. Two great managers and fierce (but good humoured) rivalry between supporters.

As a United fan I've got nothing to celebrate at the moment. But hearing City have been booted from European Football for the next two seasons? Couldn't happen to a better club.

As a United fan I've got nothing to celebrate at the moment. But hearing City have been booted from European Football for the next two seasons? Couldn't happen to a better club.

Us Arsenal supporters are feeling hope now. Only need 5-6 other clubs to be suspended from Europe and we might have a chance at Champions League next season.

Just out of interest, what is the best return for the premier league over a season ? Liverpool at the moment has drawn only once and no losses , if they managed to keep that record until the finish of this season would that be the best so far in the premier league ? I know United dominated quite a few seasons , what was their best finish ?
I’m not claiming Liverpool is the best ever side or anything, you can only claim that over time after the effect . Some of the teams Man U have had have just been awesome over the last 20 or so years . Liverpool had their time years back too , but it’s too early to claim greatness.

As much as I have enjoyed watched Pool win every week , this season has been an anti climax after last seasons thrilling battles with City and Pool , plus Spurs and Chelsea for much of the season , plus Man U coming good after a poor start. Seasons like that don’t come around too often .

When is the next World Cup by the way ? Or will we have a European cup first ? I could look it all up but I’m lazy as usual.

Just out of interest, what is the best return for the premier league over a season ? Liverpool at the moment has drawn only once and no losses , if they managed to keep that record until the finish of this season would that be the best so far in the premier league ? I know United dominated quite a few seasons , what was their best finish ?
I’m not claiming Liverpool is the best ever side or anything, you can only claim that over time after the effect . Some of the teams Man U have had have just been awesome over the last 20 or so years . Liverpool had their time years back too , but it’s too early to claim greatness.

As much as I have enjoyed watched Pool win every week , this season has been an anti climax after last seasons thrilling battles with City and Pool , plus Spurs and Chelsea for much of the season , plus Man U coming good after a poor start. Seasons like that don’t come around too often .

When is the next World Cup by the way ? Or will we have a European cup first ? I could look it all up but I’m lazy as usual.

Celtic had 106 points in 2016-17.

We need 31 points from the final 12 games to break that record (most points in a league season in European history).

Euros are this year, WC is 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back