Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Since we got a good response during the World Cup and the Saints aren’t playing of course , let’s discuss the English Premier League and any other leagues you want to bring up .

I’m a mad Liverpool supporter , have been since I can remember. Years ago a friend went to England and brought me back a Liverpool scarf which has League Champions 13 times , unfortunately we still haven’t won number 14 yet . I’m hoping this year will be it .

Tonight we have a big game against Spurs . Good chance to see some of their English players go against Liverpool. Hopefully Salah can have a big game .

Go Saints

Spurs vs Liverpool Saturday night 9:30 15th September 2018

Tottenham Hotspur will be without Dele Alli (hamstring), and it has emerged that goalkeeper Hugo Lloris (thigh) will be sidelined for a number of weeks.

Son Heung-min is back from winning gold at the Asian Games, but it remains unclear whether or not he will start.

Defender Juan Foyth (thigh) returned to training last week, while midfielder Moussa Sissoko is expected to do so next week.

Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet (finger) is available but midfielder Adam Lallana (groin) is out.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee) remains a long-term injury absentee and Dejan Lovren (stomach) is still not available.

Did you know?

If three goals are scored on Saturday, this will become the Premier League's highest-scoring fixture, overtaking the 151 goals scored in matches between Arsenal and Everton.

Matches featuring these two teams have had 22 penalties, more than any other in the competition's history.

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah has a great record against Spurs, scoring all three of Liverpool's Premier League goals against them last season.

Harry Kane also enjoys this fixture. The Spurs striker has been directly involved in seven goals in seven Premier League appearances against Liverpool, scoring five and assisting two, including four in the last two matches.

Go Saints

Last edited:
Liverpool begin a run of seven matches in 23 days when they face Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley on Saturday, with Jürgen Klopp ready to use the depth of his squad in the weeks ahead.

“Of course, we have to. We will see exactly how we can do it,” said the Reds manager when asked about possible rotation at his pre-match press conference.

“It is a big misunderstanding that we will plan for the game tomorrow and [also] think about the game after and the game after. That’s too complicated; you have to go into the next game and see who you can choose. That’s it – you always try to have your best team.

“It is clear, with numbers [from] games and all that stuff – we get so much information after a game, which you [the media] don’t have – you see how players react in different situations. We have to do that, we have to rotate – [but] I don’t know if we’d call it ‘rotation’.”

Klopp welcomed back the last of Liverpool’s international contingent when Alisson Becker, Fabinho and Roberto Firmino returned to training on Thursday.

Summer signing Fabinho represented Brazil during the break but still awaits his competitive Reds debut – though the boss explained that fact is only due to circumstances.

“It’s absolutely no problem,” he said.

“I don’t like the situation; it’s not that I like to say to Fabinho, who is full of energy and desire and wants to be involved, ‘you are not involved this weekend’. That’s not nice, it’s only the job to do sometimes.

“We have players that worked together now for much longer; he comes from another league, a completely different system which Monaco played, to us. We have a good team together so that takes time.

“But the plan was, and is still, that he will make us better. That’s what we are working on.”

Go Saints

Sunday 16 September 2018
Bournemouth00:00 Leicester

Chelsea 00:00 Cardiff

Huddersfield 00:00 Crystal Palace

Man City 00:00 Fulham

Newcastle 00:00 Arsenal

Watford 02:30 Man Utd

Wolves 22:30 Burnley

Monday 17 September 2018
Everton01:00 West Ham

Tuesday 18 September 2018
Southampton 05:00 Brighton

Go Saints

Been a Liverpool supporter since 1999.

Very weird way that I decided which EPL team to support. English side of my family are mad Middlesbrough fans but I never really got hooked on them (thank God) and decided to fire up the Playstation and simulate an EPL knockout tournament on FIFA 2000, with the winner being the team I'd begin supporting.

It was Liverpool v Leeds in the final, and the Reds won 2-1, so that was that!

It's very coincidental how it all worked out, with the Beatles being my favourite band and half my family coming from northern England anyway, so it ended up a pretty good result. Followed them since :thumbsu:

Been a Liverpool supporter since 1999.

Very weird way that I decided which EPL team to support. English side of my family are mad Middlesbrough fans but I never really got hooked on them (thank God) and decided to fire up the Playstation and simulate an EPL knockout tournament on FIFA 2000, with the winner being the team I'd begin supporting.

It was Liverpool v Leeds in the final, and the Reds won 2-1, so that was that!

It's very coincidental how it all worked out, with the Beatles being my favourite band and half my family coming from northern England anyway, so it ended up a pretty good result. Followed them since :thumbsu:

I actually started following Liverpool because my Great Grand mother and Father on my dads side came from there. Somebody told me when I first started watching and I’ve stuck to Liverpool ever since.

Go Saints

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have followed Brighton and Hove Albion since mid 1970’s.

Lived near Brighton for five years as a kid, spent many a Saturday at their old Goldstone ground.

Saw them nearly fold and get kicked Of the league, a few promotions, lose an FA cup and now finally play premier league.

Up the Albion , good old Sussex by the sea.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Funny how we trace our support.
My EPL team is totally due to a North London husband, wife and daughter emigrating to Moorabbin and living in the house opposite to ours.
They came because the husband had been a POW since Dunkirk, found friendship with another POW over the course of the war, the second POW hailing from Geelong. That second POW married an Englishwoman and brought her here. The two POW’s were buddies. Their wives, sisters.

So “Shackeroo” the house was christened, nothing else in that road except market gardens, sand pits, and ti tree.
Given both the proximity, and remoteness, of the two houses the two families couldn’t help but become friends.

Hence I’ve been a Spurs fan all of my life.
Perennially disappointed, but it’s in your blood.

Best of luck to you Red’s supporters overnight but:

COYS!!

PS: So I suppose we can say Hitler is responsible for my loving Spurs.

Last edited:
For BT, George and any other Reds tragics
You'll even find our very own The Punter there, as well as yours truly.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/index.php?threads/1187853/

The Bigfooty Liverpool Army

My son started following Man City when he was little because he liked their kit. His mate follows Liverpool and they were always his second team but he wants to switch, is that allowed for EPL? I did change his mate (from a Pies family) to a Sainter so it might be a fair trade off.

FinBar19

Team Captain
Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL
Aug 31, 2018
GC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Winnipeg Jets
Big Spurs fan for a number of years now. I wish we were playing you guys tonight in our new stadium like we were supposed to!

Spider Eater

Importer/Exporter
Feb 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Since we got a good response during the World Cup and the Saints aren’t playing of course , let’s discuss the English Premier League and any other leagues you want to bring up .

I’m a mad Liverpool supporter , have been since I can remember. Years ago a friend went to England and brought me back a Liverpool scarf which has League Champions 13 times , unfortunately we still haven’t won number 14 yet . I’m hoping this year will be it .

Tonight we have a big game against Spurs . Good chance to see some of their English players go against Liverpool. Hopefully Salah can have a big game .

Go Saints

Must be an old scraf!
Liverpool won 14 a long long time ago.

18 League (top tier) Championships.
1900/01, 1905/06, 1921/22, 1922/23, 1946/47, 1963/64, 1965/66, 1972/73, 1975/76, 1976/77, 1978/79, 1979/80, 1981/82, 1982/83, 1983/84, 1985/86, 1987/88, 1989/90.

Spider Eater

Importer/Exporter
Feb 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
My son started following Man City when he was little because he liked their kit. His mate follows Liverpool and they were always his second team but he wants to switch, is that allowed for EPL? I did change his mate (from a Pies family) to a Sainter so it might be a fair trade off.

Started following City as a young boy in the 70's. Mainly because I also loved their kit.

Dad let me stay up and watch the 1981 FA Cup and replay when Spurs beat us. Was shattered.

Been a few bandwagoners jump on board over recent years.

So The Jack is Gringo's son...
Didn't think Gringo was that old.

Must be an old scraf!
Liverpool won 14 a long long time ago.

18 League (top tier) Championships.
1900/01, 1905/06, 1921/22, 1922/23, 1946/47, 1963/64, 1965/66, 1972/73, 1975/76, 1976/77, 1978/79, 1979/80, 1981/82, 1982/83, 1983/84, 1985/86, 1987/88, 1989/90.

Yes it is an old scarf , I think I got it during the 82/83 season , around then anyway . It’s very old but still great .

Go Saints

Last edited:
Back