Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Given his tremendous year so far for Liverpool it’s worth remembering this moment from around the same time last year .

Liverpool Football Club can confirm they have reached an agreement with Southampton for the transfer of Virgil van Dijk.

What a great buy that has turned out to be . In my view he has been one of the defenders of the EPL so far this season . Worth every cent we paid .

The 27-year-old formally finalised his transfer on January 1 – and hasn’t looked back since.

Over the past 12 months, Van Dijk has established himself as one of the key figures in Liverpool’s outstanding form, playing a vital role in helping Jürgen Klopp’s side to the top of the Premier League table with a miserly – and quite astonishing – seven goals conceded so far this term.

He’s also cemented himself as a firm favourite with the fans, whose chant in his honour has become a viral hit online.

My old boss is an AEK fan.. he drove me nuts .. maybe that's why i dont like them haha.. Dont start me on Olympiacos , dirty bloody cheats..just ask the ref who gave one of their players a red card a few years back. He had his bakery blown up!. I hate that Marinakis has part ownership of my club( Nottingham Forest)..
Haha...when I went to Greece in 2002 I went to Olympiacos v Panathinaikos and goodness it gets rowdy...I reckon it's 10x worse than the Merseyside Derby.

Been following for a long while now, generational thing.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Despite being a Man U fan, love watching Liverpool.
That's mighty gracious of you Man! Very mature and sporting outlook!
Congratulations on being a well adjusted individual!

Hmmm? Could I be as magnanimous? :think:

NEVER! :mad: :huh: :shoutyoldman:
I MEAN SERIOUSLY SAB WTF!
WONT STAND FOR ANY RATIONAL NEUTRAL COMMON SENSE!
HANG YOUR HEAD YOUNG MAN. FOR SHAME! :devil:

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

HANG YOUR HEAD YOUNG MAN. FOR SHAME! :devil:
It’s plastic poisoning mightymalarka! The traditional rivalries have been warped by the blue fakes. When we’ve beaten them off, I’m sure more traditional banter and insults will resume!
I was never that good at hating the mancs though. I think it was because we moved to the south of England when I was a kid. You’d swear the media only recognised clubs within a 50 k radius of London. I remember growing to despise Arsenal and West Ham in particular, as they were always on match of the day.

HANG YOUR HEAD YOUNG MAN. FOR SHAME!
I just couldn't stand our season. Imagine mostly a top team during Sir Alex's reign and have a nightmare ever since he left. This season, I just stopped watching Man U and started watching EPL. I couldn't stand how Pogba started on the bench, how can he be so delusional, now two games he has scored 2 goals, 2 assists and as a team we scored 8 goals in 2 games, hopefully it continues to be this way

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Given his tremendous year so far for Liverpool it’s worth remembering this moment from around the same time last year .

Liverpool Football Club can confirm they have reached an agreement with Southampton for the transfer of Virgil van Dijk.

What a great buy that has turned out to be . In my view he has been one of the defenders of the EPL so far this season . Worth every cent we paid .

The 27-year-old formally finalised his transfer on January 1 – and hasn’t looked back since.

Over the past 12 months, Van Dijk has established himself as one of the key figures in Liverpool’s outstanding form, playing a vital role in helping Jürgen Klopp’s side to the top of the Premier League table with a miserly – and quite astonishing – seven goals conceded so far this term.

He’s also cemented himself as a firm favourite with the fans, whose chant in his honour has become a viral hit online.
Yeah and I was hoping we’d look elsewhere! Our constant raiding of Southampton was getting a bit embarrassing (even though they always got top $). He has been worth all the angst though. Fantastic player that brings so much to the club. If we do win the epl a lot of it will be down to this man.

Not you too Watto! Say it ain't so!
What is it with this place and bloody Liverpool fans? Your everywhere!

Need I remind you all that Red White and Black means Manchester United! :p
I'm afraid it's true...……...this pace is chockers with Man U and Liverpool supporters.

It all started with me back in 1975...….I found a show on Channel 2 on Sat arvo called the Big Match....hosted by Brian Moore.

They played the main game along with highlights of 2-3 other games...….then the letters segment where you could request to see highlights of a game.....it always fascinated me how many requests came from Australia.

The big 3 back then were:

Man U
Liverpool
Leeds United.

Something about Anfield fascinated me....so I started following Liverpool.

Back in 2004...achieved my to that time dream of watching a game at Liverpool.....I was very very lucky to snag a ticket in the middle of the Kop...….it was quite an experience.

What really blew me away in Liverpool was that 1/2 the people couldn't understand what I was saying and I couldn't understand hat they were saying.

The girl who served me in Maccas actually handed me a pictorial card of the menu.

BIZARRE !!!!!!

I'm afraid it's true...……...this pace is chockers with Man U and Liverpool supporters.

It all started with me back in 1975...….I found a show on Channel 2 on Sat arvo called the Big Match....hosted by Brian Moore.

They played the main game along with highlights of 2-3 other games...….then the letters segment where you could request to see highlights of a game.....it always fascinated me how many requests came from Australia.

The big 3 back then were:

Man U
Liverpool
Leeds United.

Something about Anfield fascinated me....so I started following Liverpool.

Back in 2004...achieved my to that time dream of watching a game at Liverpool.....I was very very lucky to snag a ticket in the middle of the Kop...….it was quite an experience.

What really blew me away in Liverpool was that 1/2 the people couldn't understand what I was saying and I couldn't understand hat they were saying.

The girl who served me in Maccas actually handed me a pictorial card of the menu.

BIZARRE !!!!!!

Yeah I used to watch Brian Moore back then also . Remember back then the main game was always featuring one of the big teams . It was basically the same teams on every week . It was just like the VFL back in the day when the lower sides like the Saints were never on the replay .

Go Saints

omg , Wolves beat Spurs 3-1 . I think Spurs thought they had the game won at half time leading 1-0 but they looked lethargic in the second half and once wolves equalized Spurs couldn't restart their game. Their manager wouldn't be very impressed at all with his players.

now a huge chance for Liverpool if they can beat Arsenal it could really give them a chance although there is still half a season to go of course.

Brighton beat Everton 1-0
Cardiff beat Leicester 1-0
Fullam beat Hud 1-0
Watford drew with Newcastle 1-1

Wolves celebrate
2018-12-29T164741Z_2005931615_RC1AF95ECF10_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-TOT-WLV.JPG

damn an early goal to Arsenal

GOALLLLLLLLLL!!!! MAITLAND-NILES PUTS ARSENAL AHEAD!!! 1-0!!! The Gunners take the lead, capitalising on a shaky period of play from the home side. Van Dijk hits an aimless long ball forward and the Reds are caught short by the pace of the visitors' counter. Iwobi and Ramsey combine before the Nigerian raids into the left inside channel and puts a cross to the back post. Maitland-Niles comes in unmarked and slots the ball home.

wow Liverpool equalise straight away 1-1

omg Liverpool score again 2-1 two goals in two minutes

GOALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! FIRMINO EQUALISES!! 1-1!! Liverpool are back in the game almost immediately through a huge slice of luck. Salah makes a probing run into the final third, but gets stopped in his tracks by a fine challenge from Xhaka. The ball deflects into the area where Lichtsteiner tries to clear his lines. He smashes his clearance off Mustafi and it falls perfectly for the Brazilian to slot into an empty net from close range.

WHAT A GOAL!!!!!! FIRMINO AT THE DOUBLE!!! 2-1 LIVERPOOL!! The Reds turn the game on its head in the space of two minutes. Firmino scores a special goal to put his team in front at Anfield. He collects the ball 30 yards out and proceeds to weave his way through the Arsenal defence, beating three challenges. There's still work to do to find the net, but he holds his composure and buries his strike into the bottom corner. A special effort from Liverpool's number nine.

Firmino has been directly invovled in 10 goals in his last seven Premier League games against Arsenal (7 goals, 3 assists). Only Robbie Fowler (9) has netted more Premier League goals against Arsenal for Liverpool than Firmino (7).

This could be some game .

I wish I could see this game.

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! MANE TAPS HOME!! LIVERPOOL 3-1!!! Liverpool notch their third goal of the evening as Mane converts at the back post. Arsenal cleared the first ball from the corner, but the second ball back in from Robertson found Salah unmarked. The forward knocked an offload across the face of goal for his team-mate, who had the simple task of putting the ball into an empty net.

Last edited:
PENALTY TO LIVERPOOL! Salah is brought down in the box by Sokratis with a loose challenge. The referee does not hesitate in pointing to the spot.

GOALLLLLLLL!!! SALAH CONVERTS! 4-1!! Liverpool have a fourth goal as Salah scores from 12 yards. It is not the best penalty from the Egyptian as he strikes the ball with power. However, Leno cannot make the stop as the ball deflects off his body and flies into the net.

That's half time , phew what a first half it was. Liverpool well on top , Arsenal with it all to do in the second half.

for our Man U fans , try to download a program called Global TV . you get access to tv stations around the world . I haven't found one showing EPL yet but you can watch Man U channel for free. There are so many channels but they don't say what they have on , you have to look , some don't work but a lot do . There must be a channel somewhere showing EPL.

ok , I found the Liverpool game , when the list of countries comes up , scroll down to sport , second bottom I think . Then click on Flow sport and there you are.

if you click on England you get access to all sorts of channels like discovery, Disney etc

Last edited:
GOALLLLLLLLL!!!! FIRMINO HAS A HAT-TRICK!! The Brazilian notches his third of the game, dispatching his effort beyond Leno. He puts a stutter-step in his run-up and then waits till Leno commits before placing his strike high into the net.

great win for Liverpool . game was over at half time , Arsenal tried to just limit the damage in the second half , Liverpool goal keeper had very little to do after Arsenal scored their goal early on.

Firmino man of the match imo for his hat trick .

if you are interested about global tv , it is free from Microsoft store , only a small program , no sign up or cost , get tv channels from all around the world , highly recommend it . I watched Liverpool vs Arsenal game live for free. you stream the channels so make sure you have enough download quota of course.

ive had this program sitting on my computer for about a year , this is first time ive looked at it , Doh!!!!!!

One more in the bank.

18 to go...next up: Man City.

Win that and things couldn't be any better to kick off 2019.
the Liverpool vs Man City game next week live on SBS , saw the ad this morning. huge game.

Back