Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Australia having a huge game at the moment, 2-0 up in the first half against football powerhouse Palestine . We might actually win a game , pretty good after our loss to the other football powerhouse Jordan in the Asia cup . Does anyone really care about Australian soccer ?

Go Saints

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Australia having a huge game at the moment, 2-0 up in the first half against football powerhouse Palestine . We might actually win a game , pretty good after our loss to the other football powerhouse Jordan in the Asia cup . Does anyone really care about Australian soccer ?

Go Saints
I’m not that keen on international games, especially the damn international breaks during EPL. I do like to see Australia do well when they play though.
The local comp has never caught my interest. I much prefer AFL to that.

I’m not that keen on international games, especially the damn international breaks during EPL. I do like to see Australia do well when they play though.

Yeah I like to see Australia do well but against good teams though . We shouldn’t be having trouble beating teams like Jordan .
But I only follow England because I know there players . I wouldn’t have a clue about current Australian players .

Go Saints

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

International soccer is a s**t competition. The standard is generally poor and it's not a priority for any of the players. The top competitions are miles more interesting.

Week 22 results

West Ham defeated Arsenal 1-0
Liverpool defeated Brighton 1-0
Burnley defeated Fulham 2-1
Cardiff drew with Huddersfield 0-0
Watford defeated Crystal Palace 2-1
Southhampton defeated Leicester 2-1
Chelsea defeated Newcastle 2-1

Big result for Southhampton, lifting them out of relegation for the moment. Continues Leicester’s weird run of playing extremely well one week only to lose to a bottom team the week later . Must be very frustrating for their fans .

Arsenal will be shatted to lose to West Ham . Means they drop to 6 points behind Chelsea on the same amount of games . Also means Man U can draw level if they win tonight over Spurs . Should be a good game .

Man City have an important game against Wolves on Tuesday morning.
Spurs are playing Man U in a big game for both teams tonight .

Go Saints

Overnight

Everton defeated Bournemouth 2-0

Man U defeated Spurs 1-0

A big thank you to Man U for that result from Liverpool fans . Now we hope Man City will lose to Wolves tonight lol .

Go Saints

Highlights of Man U vs Spurs game , not in English sorry.

The Spurs defence is so much like the England defence . Good sides will try to catch the defenders asleep like in this goal for Man U .

Last edited:

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone who doesn't agree De Gea is the best shot stopper in the world surely must be kidding themselves. Incredible goal keeper and one of the great United performances in goal. Closed the gap on Chelsea to 6 points with them facing Arsenal this week, could be a great chance to peg it back to 4.

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
My man Poch now staying at White Hart Lane.
Great result for Spurs given we lost.
In fact, big picture: a brilliant result.

It will be interesting to see what develops. It can only be Solskjaer or Pochetinno at United next season, one would think. I hope Ole gets it; time will tell.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
It will be interesting to see what develops. It can only be Solskjaer or Pochetinno at United next season, one would think. I hope Ole gets it; time will tell.
So your saying my dream Union of Ravel Morrison and Bebe as his assistant
Won't be happening? :(

Man City comfortably beat Wolves 3-0 . It seems City have got back to their early season form before they unexpectedly lost a couple of games . Once again they look very powerful and will be hard to beat in all competitions. They have a much better bench list than either Liverpool or Spurs . So they should stay strong in everything they play in . Bugger lol .

Liverpool are 4 points clear of City but it would be a brave man who would say anyone apart from City are the favourites to win the league from here .

Go Saints

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Man City comfortably beat Wolves 3-0 . It seems City have got back to their early season form before they unexpectedly lost a couple of games . Once again they look very powerful and will be hard to beat in all competitions. They have a much better bench list than either Liverpool or Spurs . So they should stay strong in everything they play in . Bugger lol .

Liverpool are 4 points clear of City but it would be a brave man who would say anyone apart from City are the favourites to win the league from here .

Go Saints
OK I'll be brave. LFC will win this.

Week 23 results
FT: Wolverhampton Wanderers 4 vs Leicester City 3
FT: AFC Bournemouth 2 vs West Ham United 0
FT: Liverpool 4 vs Crystal Palace 3
FT: Manchester United 2 vs Brighton & Hove Albion 1
FT: Newcastle United 3 vs Cardiff City 0
FT: Southampton 2 vs Everton 1
FT: Watford 0 vs Burnley 0

a 4-3 result doesn't sound great for Liverpool , but down 1-0 at half time I would have taken any scoreline as long as we won.

Mohamed Salah scored a brace to lead Liverpool to a 4-3 victory over an ambitious Crystal Palace side in an English Premier League encounter.
The 26-year-old continued from where he stopped last week, helping Jurgen Klopp's men overcome the stern test of Wilfried Zaha and his counterpart.
Zaha, a constant nuisance to the Reds down the right, orchestrated an opener for Palace against the run of play in the 34th minute.
The Cote d'Ivoire international whisked past James Milner, squaring for Andros Townsend to stun the hosts.
Salah started the fightback for the Reds immediately after the restart in an improvised manner.
Virgil van Dijk's long-range shot was deflected, looping behind Palace’s defensive line and before Julian Speroni could decide on what to do, Salah provided a poacher's touch to put his side levelled.
In the 53rd minute, Naby Keita provided the assist for Roberto Firmino's goal which put the Reds in front for the first time in the game. But they were dragged back again shortly after the hour mark as James Tomkins powered home from a corner.
Salah would, however, score the decisive goal in the game, crashing home from a Speroni error, via Milner's cross.
In the stoppage time, Max Meyer cancelled out Sadio Mane late effort to set up a nervy ending to the thrilling encounter that Liverpool finished with 10 men after Milner was shown a red card for catching Zaha late.
The brace helped Salah to 50 Premier League goals and were crucial for the Kops to extend their home unbeaten run to 31 games.
Pending Manchester City’s game on Sunday, they are seven points clear at the top of the table.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
a 4-3 result doesn't sound great for Liverpool , but down 1-0 at half time I would have taken any scoreline as long as we won.

Mohamed Salah scored a brace to lead Liverpool to a 4-3 victory over an ambitious Crystal Palace side in an English Premier League encounter.
The 26-year-old continued from where he stopped last week, helping Jurgen Klopp's men overcome the stern test of Wilfried Zaha and his counterpart.
Zaha, a constant nuisance to the Reds down the right, orchestrated an opener for Palace against the run of play in the 34th minute.
The Cote d'Ivoire international whisked past James Milner, squaring for Andros Townsend to stun the hosts.
Salah started the fightback for the Reds immediately after the restart in an improvised manner.
Virgil van Dijk's long-range shot was deflected, looping behind Palace’s defensive line and before Julian Speroni could decide on what to do, Salah provided a poacher's touch to put his side levelled.
In the 53rd minute, Naby Keita provided the assist for Roberto Firmino's goal which put the Reds in front for the first time in the game. But they were dragged back again shortly after the hour mark as James Tomkins powered home from a corner.
Salah would, however, score the decisive goal in the game, crashing home from a Speroni error, via Milner's cross.
In the stoppage time, Max Meyer cancelled out Sadio Mane late effort to set up a nervy ending to the thrilling encounter that Liverpool finished with 10 men after Milner was shown a red card for catching Zaha late.
The brace helped Salah to 50 Premier League goals and were crucial for the Kops to extend their home unbeaten run to 31 games.
Pending Manchester City’s game on Sunday, they are seven points clear at the top of the table.
Close game and great result for Liverpool. Crystal Palace played their game to perfection I thought.

Terrible news breaking at the moment concerning Cardiff’s record signing Sala .
Plane carrying Cardiff's record signing Emiliano Sala goes missing
Argentine striker completed a move from French club Nantes on Saturday
The 28-year-old was flying to Wales after saying goodbye to his former team-mates.

Hopes are fading for his safety. Really sad news . Only him and the pilot on board .

Guernsey harbour master Captain David Barker spoke to BBC News earlier.

He said that no distress call had been received and that if the search continues into the night it is unlikely to have a good outcome.

"It's far easier to see something on the surface in daylight," he said. "We are looking for any traces of an aircraft, a life raft, persons in the water, life jackets."

Last edited:

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Terrible news breaking at the moment concerning Cardiff’s record signing Sala .
Plane carrying Cardiff's record signing Emiliano Sala goes missing
Argentine striker completed a move from French club Nantes on Saturday
The 28-year-old was flying to Wales after saying goodbye to his former team-mates.

Hopes are fading for his safety. Really sad news . Only him and the pilot on board .

Guernsey harbour master Captain David Barker spoke to BBC News earlier.

He said that no distress call had been received and that if the search continues into the night it is unlikely to have a good outcome.

"It's far easier to see something on the surface in daylight," he said. "We are looking for any traces of an aircraft, a life raft, persons in the water, life jackets."
s**t! That is terrible!
Doesn't sound good!

Back