Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only concern of the owners is income. For them it's business not sport, and this tension has never been solved since the Glazer takeover. They are holding the club back.
The unfortunate part is that they don't seem particularly good at business either. Any rumblings about change at all?

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
The unfortunate part is that they don't seem particularly good at business either. Any rumblings about change at all?
Not that i have heard!

The United i remember and it's huge extended family would never
Have tolerated this previously! It's a worry man!

Almost as if the whole joint's soul has evaporated! I know it hasn't But it was unthinkable in my mind
That a national institution such as United could be hijacked so easily it seems
Without the people power and protest that once would have been standard!

Maybe Brexit and Boris have just made everyone so apathetic to any cause now
That the willing spirit amongst the punters has just disappeared!

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC

Yes, but not nearly enough. Those who have great wealth are now considered untouchable and irreproachable. It seems that money should never be questioned and subservience is the norm. The initial Glazer protests in 2005 have faded awayand we dare not speak.

Last edited:

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
Not that i have heard!

The United i remember and it's huge extended family would never
Have tolerated this previously! It's a worry man!

Almost as if the whole joint's soul has evaporated! I know it hasn't But it was unthinkable in my mind
That a national institution such as United could be hijacked so easily it seems
Without the people power and protest that once would have been standard!

Maybe Brexit and Boris have just made everyone so apathetic to any cause now
That the willing spirit amongst the punters has just disappeared!

I was thrown out of the stadium back in 2007 as part of an organised protest. It might well happen again, but I wouldn't bet on it: the financial figures are everything now.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I went down all guns blazing, and it took four stewards to get me out. I'm older now and it would probably put my back out :D
At least you had a go mate and survived to fight another day!
A mate of mine works in PNG and you have to be pretty tough to survive there. We’ve both had heart attacks with an artery requiring a stent in each case. Anyway, we were gibbering away over a few drinks (not one of the recommended strategies) about the limitations and often ignored restrictions this had imposed. He worked out that he now has 90 seconds to end a fight before he’s f......
Anyway, the point of that story is to remember the 90 second rule when you guys go in for a rematch 😉

JiggsteR45

All Australian
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
It sounds a bit sacrilegious as a City fan, but I really love listening to Gary Neville.

This is a great podcast with Stan Collymore: he gives fantastic and honest insight into his failure as a manager at Valencia, you really learn so much when he speaks. He also talks a lot about United's plight and why they are where they are.

Collymore what a bellend!

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Funny how quickly things can change. 3 weeks ago we beat Chelsea 4-0 and everyone was buzzing. Losing to Palace at home and only managing a draw away to Southampton, extremely worrying. It's hard to imagine that the best backup striker United have is a 17 year old with 7 senior apps and 0 goals. Some of the transfer business (or lack of) has been puzzling. Players going down with injuries like flies. Early days but could be in for an even rougher season than last.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
And What have you done for me lately?
I was merciful and didn’t mention Newcastle 😉. They were quite good in fairness. I thought we were in deep crap when we went 1-0 down, then Origi got unlucky and had to go off injured. We then got lucky because Firmino replaced him. We’re probably stuffed if he gets a long term injury, he stitches the whole thing together.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I was merciful and didn’t mention Newcastle 😉. They were quite good in fairness. I thought we were in deep crap when we went 1-0 down, then Origi got unlucky and had to go off injured. We then got lucky because Firmino replaced him. We’re probably stuffed if he gets a long term injury, he stitches the whole thing together.
Yeah that would be a shame! 😲

Sounds ridiculous to say this early. But if you guys don't win it this year you never will!

We finally got back on the winners list with a commanding 1-0 victory at home over the dangerous Leicester! Woo hoo!
Ok it wasn't so commanding as desperately holding on at the end! lol
But we will take it for now! The clean sheet was a positive! 😏

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah that would be a shame! 😲

Sounds ridiculous to say this early. But if you guys don't win it this year you never will!

We finally got back on the winners list with a commanding 1-0 victory at home over the dangerous Leicester! Woo hoo!
Ok it wasn't so commanding as desperately holding on at the end! lol
But we will take it for now! The clean sheet was a positive! 😏
It’s shaping up as our best chance since SG fell on his arse several years ago but yes, very early days.
Leicester are a difficult team to beat, always nice to pick up 3 points against them!

2019/2020 Season All tables
Premier League 2019/20
# Team Pl W D L F A GD Pts Last 6
1 Liverpool 5 5 0 0 15 4 11 15
2 Manchester City 5 3 1 1 16 6 10 10
3 Tottenham Hotspur 5 2 2 1 11 6 5 8
4 Manchester United 5 2 2 1 8 4 4 8
5 Leicester City 5 2 2 1 6 4 2 8
6 Chelsea 5 2 2 1 11 11 0 8
7 Arsenal 4 2 1 1 6 6 0 7
8 Everton 4 2 1 1 4 4 0 7
9 West Ham United 4 2 1 1 6 7 -1 7