Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

question for those with better brains than me .
There have been so few 0-0 draws over the last couple of years , are teams playing more attractive and attacking football or is the quality of defending just going through a poor phase ? Strangely i think the quality of goalkeeping across the premier league is probably as strong as it has ever been but yet its so hard to keep a clean sheet for all but the very top teams .

Man U off to a good start tonight 2-0 up at half time .
Wolves leading Villa 1-0 half time .

The big game City vs Liverpool starts in a couple hours , hope i can stay awake till then .

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I hate to ask because it seems like such a fanboy question, but are Pep and Jürgen the two best football managers in the world right now?

Can anyone out there advocate an alternative?

Yes they both have had almost unlimited financial backing, but that's no guarantee of success. They have all the pressure of big expectant clubs and just reflecting on what they have both created at their current and past clubs, I have to ask: who's better?

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hate to ask because it seems like such a fanboy question, but are Pep and Jürgen the two best football managers in the world right now?

Can anyone out there advocate an alternative?

Yes they both have had almost unlimited financial backing, but that's no guarantee of success. They have all the pressure of big expectant clubs and just reflecting on what they have both created at their current and past clubs, I have to ask: who's better?
If it's right now and a big club with all the pressure that goes with it, nobody gets close. Lampard has started well & might be one to watch. Poch I rate highly. He's done really well up until this season despite Levy at Spurs. Rodgers has huge potential but his ego gets in the way. Some of the younger European managers are highly rated.
I'm biased but I rate Klopp higher than Pep. Liverpool's net spend is comparatively low although they did benefit from the Suarez & Couts sales. Klopp has come in and looked at the whole picture, including a disillusioned fan base and transformed the whole club with a very clear plan. Pep had truck loads of cash but had to transform a middling club into a powerhouse quite quickly. He's done well and brilliantly managed the players egos in the process but I think Klopp had the trickier gig.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
question for those with better brains than me .
There have been so few 0-0 draws over the last couple of years , are teams playing more attractive and attacking football or is the quality of defending just going through a poor phase ? Strangely i think the quality of goalkeeping across the premier league is probably as strong as it has ever been but yet its so hard to keep a clean sheet for all but the very top teams .
My best guess is that the change to 3 points for a win rather than 2 points changed the focus of the game to value winning rather than drawing a lot more. Admittedly that change has been in for years but I think that change of focus is having a cumulative effect. Of course I could be completely wrong with that theory 😊.
I’d like to see some sort of incentive to score more in AFL to be honest.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Klopp doesn't have unlimited financial backing - if he did, Coutinho would probably be back and Mbappe would certainly be on his way to Anfield.

Not so sure that's because of money, or at least just because of money. Coutinho really wasn't a Klopp style player, although he was awesome at his peak. Likewise, how would Klopp play Mbappé? Whose spot does he take? Firmino is the fulcrum of the entire team, Mané is in the form of his life, maybe Mo Salah is most vulnerable at this moment, and the most likely to get a godfather offer, but I'd hate that to happen frankly, as good as Mbappé is.

I reckon if Klopp was *really* into Mbappé, FSG would find a way to get him to Liverpool.

If it's right now and a big club with all the pressure that goes with it, nobody gets close. Lampard has started well & might be one to watch. Poch I rate highly. He's done really well up until this season despite Levy at Spurs. Rodgers has huge potential but his ego gets in the way. Some of the younger European managers are highly rated.
I'm biased but I rate Klopp higher than Pep. Liverpool's net spend is comparatively low although they did benefit from the Suarez & Couts sales. Klopp has come in and looked at the whole picture, including a disillusioned fan base and transformed the whole club with a very clear plan. Pep had truck loads of cash but had to transform a middling club into a powerhouse quite quickly. He's done well and brilliantly managed the players egos in the process but I think Klopp had the trickier gig.

Rodgers is interesting, I think you're right about the ego, he and Lee Johnson are peas in a pod, excruciating at times. I think he suits Leicester more than Arsenal and I could see him jagging another premier League win with them, but not having sustained success at a big club.

I also think that Brendan Rodgers man management skills are poor - He handled the Raheem Sterling transfer request really badly and lot of players don't trust him because of the amount of bullshit he goes on with.

The thing for me that separates Klopp from Pep is that Pep takes great players, whereas Klopp makes great players. Look what happened to the games of the following under his watch: Lallana (at first), Firmino, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Matip, Origi, Wijnaldum, and others.

I'm interested to see what Klopp does next; does he find protégés for all his stars who are mostly around the 27-8 mark and gradually replace them, or simply get new guns in and change his game style?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not so sure that's because of money, or at least just because of money. Coutinho really wasn't a Klopp style player, although he was awesome at his peak. Likewise, how would Klopp play Mbappé? Whose spot does he take? Firmino is the fulcrum of the entire team, Mané is in the form of his life, maybe Mo Salah is most vulnerable at this moment, and the most likely to get a godfather offer, but I'd hate that to happen frankly, as good as Mbappé is.

I reckon if Klopp was *really* into Mbappé, FSG would find a way to get him to Liverpool.

Rodgers is interesting, I think you're right about the ego, he and Lee Johnson are peas in a pod, excruciating at times. I think he suits Leicester more than Arsenal and I could see him jagging another premier League win with them, but not having sustained success at a big club.

I also think that Brendan Rodgers man management skills are poor - He handled the Raheem Sterling transfer request really badly and lot of players don't trust him because of the amount of bullshit he goes on with.

The thing for me that separates Klopp from Pep is that Pep takes great players, whereas Klopp makes great players. Look what happened to the games of the following under his watch: Lallana (at first), Firmino, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Matip, Origi, Wijnaldum, and others.

I'm interested to see what Klopp does next; does he find protégés for all his stars who are mostly around the 27-8 mark and gradually replace them, or simply get new guns in and change his game style?
He’s shown himself to be flexible tactically but maintains that core belief in players working hard for the team and sticking to a longer term plan.
He treats the role as a 7 year project meaning we’ve got him for another 3 years. I can’t see him breaking the habit of a lifetime and extending, so we could be in trouble when he goes because much of this squad will be around 30 then. We are targeting young players now with that in mind but it’s almost impossible to break into this side and gain experience, so there’s some tricky balancing acts to come.
In the meantime, I hope we can finally win the PL and get that monkey off our back!

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has anyone ever looked at bluemoon a Man City forum? Unless the bulk of posters are under 10 years old, they have some serious issues. Outside of a red neck forum, I’ve never read such ridiculous conspiracy laden bile in my life. It’s bizarre.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Has anyone ever looked at bluemoon a Man City forum? Unless the bulk of posters are under 10 years old, they have some serious issues. Outside of a red neck forum, I’ve never read such ridiculous conspiracy laden bile in my life. It’s bizarre.
I think most of their posters and or new fan base ( whatever there is of it ) is under 10 from my dealings with them too!
Not the brightest bunch or even educated in any way about the history and culture of the game, outside of Manchester that is!

They still struggle to sell enough tickets despite how strong they have been in recent years!
Just goes to show no matter the wealth or success of some teams if at your very heart of the club is a
Plastic empire built on oil and money as opposed to a club with a rich history and a soul that beats strong, eventually
The one with a genuinely passionate fan base will overwhelm them if they can achieve reasonable parity in talent!

Look at PSG....They are the same!

I fear a Scouse led dominance for a while until the other much stronger and real beating heart of Manchester awakens from it's slumber!
And from what i have seen over the last 18 months, it ain't on the horizon anytime fast!
Eventually any Liverpool dominance will prove to much to bear for United to not finally get their sh!t together inspite of themselves!
Then true hostilities between the 2 giants of English football will recommence!

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think most of their posters and or new fan base ( whatever there is of it ) is under 10 from my dealings with them too!
Not the brightest bunch or even educated in any way about the history and culture of the game, outside of Manchester that is!

They still struggle to sell enough tickets despite how strong they have been in recent years!
Just goes to show no matter the wealth or success of some teams if at your very heart of the club is a
Plastic empire built on oil and money as opposed to a club with a rich history and a soul that beats strong, eventually
The one with a genuinely passionate fan base will overwhelm them if they can achieve reasonable parity in talent!

Look at PSG....They are the same!

I fear a Scouse led dominance for a while until the other much stronger and real beating heart of Manchester awakens from it's slumber!
And from what i have seen over the last 18 months, it ain't on the horizon anytime fast!
Eventually any Liverpool dominance will prove to much to bear for United to not finally get their sh!t together inspite of themselves!
Then true hostilities between the 2 giants of English football will recommence!
It’s been a long time since we were both on top. There’s a reasonable chance we’ll be on the decline when you get back up, although I’m hoping not. It never ceases to amaze me that the games between them are so tight though, no matter what the respective level of the two.

A scrappy win is better than a loss . Next week we will just remember we won which is all that matters . Pressure is on City to win now . Possibly Lecister is going to be our main opponent now unless we totally lose form and lose a few matches in a row which could still happen of course especially if we get injuries to key players . Still a long way to go plus champions leagues marches thrown in . Way to early to call it over .

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
Liverpool are strolling away with it - now eleven points clear and only two points dropped so far. City just aren't quite clicking.

Of course both Arsenal and Spurs have already sacked their managers, and there's a lot of speculation about Silva at Everton, Pellegrini at West Ham and Dean Smith at Villa; so, if you support any of those clubs, watch this space.

I think Solskjaer is safe until the end of the season, barring a complete collapse in results.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Watford sacked their manager Sanchez Flores today.
We might not be far behind them my friend!
More points dropped at home with a frustrating 2-2 draw!
Was about to say it's getting ugly man, but that happened quite a while back now!

Tis most disturbing to see what we have become
This club is in freefall and i don't think they see it at the moment!
Something's got to give pretty soon me thinks. Ole has been set up to fail in my view!

It's going to take something pretty special to turn this massive Ship ( Titanic ) around!
Wanted to personally punch Woodward in the face last week, after seeing those pics of him abusing Fergie!
Gotta Get that pompous Snake out of our club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back