Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Southampton! My team came off second-best for the second week in a row, against Newcastle United. I’ve enjoyed seeing Everton top the ladder for a few weeks, but I’m realistic enough to know that there simply isn’t enough depth of class in our squad to cover for injury to important players. Liverpool, Manchester City and other top-six clubs have assembled squads that can cope with added fixtures and injury without it effecting results. I have confidence that Don Carlo can assemble such a squad over a couple of transfer windows.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Not too often the Magpies have anything to crow about. Feels weird having Leeds and Newcastle above Man United.

Oh Southampton, my Southampton! Top of the league. Great to see a club stick by a manager rather than switch at the first sight of a problem. Even last night without Ingsy and Redderz just bossed it. Rare to think a club could lose both of their first matches to top the table 2 months later. Always been parallels between the 2 saints...history built on a few stand-out players and a few characters, but never any real success. I got to see Bale and Walcott live as 16 year olds: good timing, though meant I never saw saints in the EPL. Just like StK, getting ourselves in order and giving ourselves the best chance of success.

We can be heroes, just for one day!

It’s shaping up to be a great season.

Liverpool looking pretty good although have been hurt badly at the back, Man City will be there or thereabouts and Spurs look up for it so far this year also!

Throw into the mix a decent Southampton, Everton (recent form aside), Villa, Leicester and even Wolves have been great to watch. Loads of good games for the neutral this year.

It will be difficult for Man Utd to get back up the table if they can’t sort their consistency out. Not many teams can afford to play poorly and still get a result this year.

It’s shaping up to be a great season.

Liverpool looking pretty good although have been hurt badly at the back, Man City will be there or thereabouts and Spurs look up for it so far this year also!

Throw into the mix a decent Southampton, Everton (recent form aside), Villa, Leicester and even Wolves have been great to watch. Loads of good games for the neutral this year.

It will be difficult for Man Utd to get back up the table if they can’t sort their consistency out. Not many teams can afford to play poorly and still get a result this year.

Good summary Roddy, I've been a city supporter since I was a kid when they were crap. The one highlight I remember was them getting in the FA Cup final and losing by an own goal...........think it was the early '80s. No one believes me that I'm not a bandwagoner. Have enjoyed their recent success.

One of my best mates is a very passionate Spurs supporter and goes over every couple of years to watch them, he is starting to believe they have the team to threaten and stay in the top 4. What are your thoughts on them?

Last edited:
Good summary Roddy, I've been a city supporter since I was a kid when they were crap. The one highlight I remember was them getting in the FA Cup final and losing by an own goal...........think it was the early '80s. No one believes me that I'm not a bandwagoner. Have enjoyed their recent success.

One of best mates is a very passionate Spurs supporter and goes over every couple of years to watch them, he is starting to believe they have the team to threaten and stay in the top 4. What are your thoughts on them?

I agree, I think Bale adds a lot of polish but the improvement of Son this year has been really impressive and he is a great foil for Kane.

I watched Spurs grind out that win this morning after missing some good chances that I feel in previous years they would have drawn. They look solid at the back and have some great players that can move the ball around well.

I don’t know if they can go toe to to with Liverpool until the end of the season but I’d like to see it. I reckon they will finish 2nd or 3rd.

That must suck being a lifelong city fan and being branded a bandwagoner since the money came in! I remember being at a Chelsea game in 00s after Abramovic pumped money in and Drogba was winning them titles and a bunch of fans started singing to this older Chelsea fan, “where were you when you were s**t!”

He pulled off his jumper to reveal old Cheslea tattoos all over his arms and his back - that shut everyone up.

How do you think Spurs will go?

I agree, I think Bale adds a lot of polish but the improvement of Son this year has been really impressive and he is a great foil for Kane.

I watched Spurs grind out that win this morning after missing some good chances that I feel in previous years they would have drawn. They look solid at the back and have some great players that can move the ball around well.

I don’t know if they can go toe to to with Liverpool until the end of the season but I’d like to see it. I reckon they will finish 2nd or 3rd.

That must suck being a lifelong city fan and being branded a bandwagoner since the money came in! I remember being at a Chelsea game in 00s after Abramovic pumped money in and Drogba was winning them titles and a bunch of fans started singing to this older Chelsea fan, “where were you when you were sh*t!”

He pulled off his jumper to reveal old Cheslea tattoos all over his arms and his back - that shut everyone up.

How do you think Spurs will go?

Reckon you are right re Spurs not winning those type of games previously if they keep picking up those type of points after the international break I'm expecting the lid to be off fairly soon. Bloody Bale have been hearing lots about him coming back to Spurs and the difference it will make, reckon it is right. I'll wait to the middle of January, soft I know!

Chelsea definitely got labelled the money club but you must have enjoyed that run.

Reckon you are right re Spurs not winning those type of games previously if they keep picking up those type of points after the international break I'm expecting the lid to be off fairly soon. Bloody Bale have been hearing lots about him coming back to Spurs and the difference it will make, reckon it is right. I'll wait to the middle of January, soft I know!

Chelsea definitely got labelled the money club but you must have enjoyed that run.

Agree with you, the jury is out for me on the impact Bale will have over all.

I was actually in the away end at that Chelsea game - with the Everton fans (as a neutral). Growing up in Scotland in the 90s I supported Manchester United obviously 😁, had the curtains hair cut like Beckham and everything. I even got called ‘a fat Beckham’ once by an opposition supporter whilst playing, which I didn’t even take as an insult 😂. Used to go down to Old Trafford a couple of times a year as a treat - it was better than the Scottish football I was used to.

Been to a few City games too, was only 4 hours drive from home and I’d take any ticket I could get. Any excuse for a weekend away.

Agree with you, the jury is out for me on the impact Bale will have over all.

I was actually in the away end at that Chelsea game - with the Everton fans (as a neutral). Growing up in Scotland in the 90s I supported Manchester United obviously 😁, had the curtains hair cut like Beckham and everything. I even got called ‘a fat Beckham’ once by an opposition supporter whilst playing, which I didn’t even take as an insult 😂. Used to go down to Old Trafford a couple of times a year as a treat - it was better than the Scottish football I was used to.

Been to a few City games too, was only 4 hours drive from home and I’d take any ticket I could get. Any excuse for a weekend away.

Jealous re the games you have been to Roddy, United have always been the enemy......love the moment of countdown with United thinking they had won the title and look on Ferguson's face is one of my all time favourites go to the 2.21 mark!.:

think Ive probably posted this before so apologies

Last edited:
Jealous re the games you have been to Roddy, United have always been the enemy......love the moment of countdown with United thinking they had won the title and look on Ferguson's face is one of my all time favourites go to the 2.21 mark!.:

Yeah even from Australia that one hurt! I loved Fergie, was glad he got one last title when he retired, United have not been at the races since he left.

I’m not as passionate about it as I used to be but still love watching the games, the time difference now is great, games on most mornings and with young kids I’m up anyway.

Hope City fare well this year, really enjoy watching them under Guardiola, reckon you’ll have the twilight of Messi‘s career to enjoy there too.

Tottenham on top. I really like the look of them this year. Haaland with a lazy 4 for BD too, he'd be a good get for a premier league side, 20 yo and just ridiculously good.

Important win for Liverpool over Leicester 3-0 . Level on top with Spurs . Have a feeling this season is going to be another beauty , perhaps going down to the final few rounds again like a couple years ago . Love it when it’s close .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Important win for Liverpool over Leicester 3-0 . Level on top with Spurs . Have a feeling this season is going to be another beauty , perhaps going down to the final few rounds again like a couple years ago . Love it when it’s close .

This will be the greatest PL title win after Leicester in 2016 if we can pull this out without VVD and the general injury list we have had to work with this year, especially to our back line. So much adversity so early in the season, yet we keep fronting up.

We just need to keep pace with the rest of the top four. Spurs look surprisingly good, their win the other day was a statement - they are in for a real chance this season. Chelsea might take this season to develop but could be dangerous later on.

Can't really see anyone else pushing those three. Everton looked good early, City have fallen in a heap, Man Utd too inconsistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be the greatest PL title win after Leicester in 2016 if we can pull this out without VVD and the general injury list we have had to work with this year, especially to our back line. So much adversity so early in the season, yet we keep fronting up.

We just need to keep pace with the rest of the top four. Spurs look surprisingly good, their win the other day was a statement - they are in for a real chance this season. Chelsea might take this season to develop but could be dangerous later on.

Can't really see anyone else pushing those three. Everton looked good early, City have fallen in a heap, Man Utd too inconsistent.

To beat Leicester 3-0 with 5 or 6 of our top players out is very exciting for the season to come , really shows the depth we have .

Spurs looking good at the moment, the real test will be towards the end of the season when the pressure is on. Took Liverpool a few seasons to cope with that and now have the experience of dealing with that end of the season. Injuries or not I’d back the team with experience of performing under that kind of pressure

I’d like Spurs to win a title but not really Mourinho. He’s an arrogant guy at times. Guardiola and Klopp come across much nicer guys.

United look a mile off and will be battling for 4th spot IMO.

Tottenham on top. I really like the look of them this year. Haaland with a lazy 4 for BD too, he'd be a good get for a premier league side, 20 yo and just ridiculously good.

Going to have to watch some of Haaland’s highlights. Obviously aware of what he is doing banging them in but never really watched him closely.

Another 2 goals this morning in the Champions League making him the youngest player to get to 15 goals.

Very excited for Chelsea vs spurs. This will be a Huge challenge for the spurs but I think they will be up for the fight

Spurs have a buzz this year. Son and Kane look awesome. The Frenchy guy from Southhampton is pretty good too.

Spurs looking good at the moment, the real test will be towards the end of the season when the pressure is on. Took Liverpool a few seasons to cope with that and now have the experience of dealing with that end of the season. Injuries or not I’d back the team with experience of performing under that kind of pressure

I’d like Spurs to win a title but not really Mourinho. He’s an arrogant guy at times. Guardiola and Klopp come across much nicer guys.

United look a mile off and will be battling for 4th spot IMO.

When it comes down to it , if you win the league or something else who cares what the manager is like lol .

Let’s hope it’s another of those close seasons like a couple years ago when all top 7 spots were up for grabs right until the end .

When it comes down to it , if you win the league or something else who cares what the manager is like lol .

I do because I am a petty bastard :D.
I didn't really want Liverpool to win the league last year but I really like Klopp and Andy Robertson so was okay with it in the end - it's like a reverse Spurs.

Interesting weekend of results, didn't see the Liverpool game but sounds like you were pretty stiff not to get the 3 points?

United Jekyll and Hyde again, this time in the same game. What a difference Cavani makes, the positions he takes up to occupy defenders and his movement is brilliant. Martial is okay but not a CF in my opinion, he wants to drop too deep all the time.

Arsenal in dire straits.

City back in contention?

Yeah unlucky to give away a penalty in injury time but then again we didn’t play well and in the end I thought Brighton deserved a point . We have been letting in a lot of goals this season partly due to key defenders injured but that’s football .

I do because I am a petty bastard :D.
I didn't really want Liverpool to win the league last year but I really like Klopp and Andy Robertson so was okay with it in the end - it's like a reverse Spurs.

Interesting weekend of results, didn't see the Liverpool game but sounds like you were pretty stiff not to get the 3 points?

United Jekyll and Hyde again, this time in the same game. What a difference Cavani makes, the positions he takes up to occupy defenders and his movement is brilliant. Martial is okay but not a CF in my opinion, he wants to drop too deep all the time.

Arsenal in dire straits.

City back in contention?

Yeah if City win their games in hand they will shoot right up near the top again . Strange season so far .

Not sure what’s happened to Sheffield United , they looked pretty good last season but they can’t buy a win at the moment . I think they have a couple of key players out unfortunately and don’t have the depth to cover them .

Really their are a bunch of sides who are only a win away from being in the top bunch .

And Man U mightn’t have played that well but they still beat Southhampton who were top 5 I think .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back