English Premier League soccer ⚽

Remove this Banner Ad

We are just 20 odd minutes away from a new Premier League season so I thought I'd get this thread up and running.

We have a fair few EPL fans on the Carlton board so we should be able to get plenty of discussion going as the season progresses.

My boys Man United looking for yet another title but there seems to be plenty of competition this year.

Norwich, Swansea and QPR are the new boys on the block this season. Who will stay up? Who will be relegated?

I am a QPR fan (although nowhere near as much as I support MUFC) and do think they have enough up their sleeve to avoid relegation but Norwich and Swansea will most likely struggle.

Tonight:

Blackburn v Wolves
Fulham v Aston Villa
Liverpool v Sunderland
QPR v Bolton
Wigan v Norwich
Newcastle v Arsenal

I'll be watching QPR in their opening day battle but will be flicking around. Liverpool v Sunderland should be a cracker. Liverpool have spent plenty in the transfer period so it will be interesting to see how they respond to a few disappointing seasons in a row. Tipping them to give the top 4 a real shake, possibly at the expense of Arsenal who will struggle given the imminent departures of Fabregas & Nasri.

Thought? Predictions? Bring it on!

could not keep the shutters up last night
well at least Wigan did not start with a loss
look for Barton going down as if shot in the Newcastle game after their version of a brawl. hard haircut-soft man

The EPL is a farce. Have long lost interest in what is what is now essentially a battle of the cheque books.

Unless you are one of the three or four richest clubs, you have no chance of winning it - zero, zilch.

The remaining clubs just make up the numbers year after year after year. It must be fun for fans of those clubs turning up each season knowing that.

I am sure the OP will be interested in it of course, being a MU supporter. :)

Results from this weekend:

Blackburn 1 v Wolverhampton 2
Fulham 0 v Aston Villa 0
Liverpool 1 v Sunderland 1
Queens Park Rangers 0 v Bolton 4
Wigan 1 v Norwich 1
Newcastle 0 v Arsenal 0

Manchester United 2 v West Brom 1
Stoke 0 v Chelsea 0

Still to play:
Tottenham v Everton - was postponed due to the riots, to be played at a date TBC
Manchester City v Swansea - tomorrow morning

Plenty of draws to begin the 2011/2012 season but it is great to have the EPL back.

Of the main title contenders only United got a win which is a good start for them despite the uncertainty of De Gea in goals. Starting the season strong is hugely important now that there are a few teams genuinely in contention.

A couple of injuries for United in defense is a huge concern but there is serious depth there so it will be interesting to see how they cover for them.

Oh - and Joey Barton is a ****ing moron. Not news, but certainly reaffirmed on Saturday night.

The EPL is a farce. Have long lost interest in what is what is now essentially a battle of the cheque books.

Unless you are one of the three or four richest clubs, you have no chance of winning it - zero, zilch.

The remaining clubs just make up the numbers year after year after year. It must be fun for fans of those clubs turning up each season knowing that.

I am sure the OP will be interested in it of course, being a MU supporter. :)

If you've long lost interest in it, why did you post in here?

There are plenty of Carlton supporters that enjoy soccer, and in particular the EPL. I am one of those.

Fair enough that you don't enjoy it, in which case there's no need for you to post in this thread.

As for being a MUFC supporter, if you are hinting that I am a bandwagon supporter - I've long said I started out as one, about 15 years ago as a young kid. But the fact that I watch most games most weekend, including every United game in every competition would indicate that I'm not a bandwagon supporter but rather a fan of the game itself, and a strong supporter of Man United.

Really started getting into the EPL since the second half of last season. Have always loved the sport but never followed many leagues.

Don't necessarily have a team either, though I like West Bromwich Albion and West Ham.

oh and whatever you do do not blow bubbles and follow the Hammers. Not anywhere near almost any Englishman that is for sure. You are just not hard enough and you will be killed

oh and whatever you do do not blow bubbles and follow the Hammers. Not anywhere near almost any Englishman that is for sure. You are just not hard enough and you will be killed
I've seen Green Street Hooligans and Football Factory, do not mess with me and my false sense of strength. :cool:

Imma Chelsea fan, hoping for a big year this year! Torres looked pretty decent on saturday night so hope he can get amungest the goals. Favourite player Essien currently injured though, long term apparently, so that's dissapointing.

Like the look of the fresh faces at Liverpool. Looks really exciting and bubbly, with the likes of Suarez, henderson, downing and carroll. But will probably find themselves 5-8 on the ladder once again to my delight. :D

Both the Manchesters are strong, you could argue City's list is stronger, but I doubt they'll work together, like the united group does... Such a good bonding, work for ya team mate bunch of players. Another exciting year in the premier League !
( im not pom btw :D)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you've long lost interest in it, why did you post in here?

There are plenty of Carlton supporters that enjoy soccer, and in particular the EPL. I am one of those.

Fair enough that you don't enjoy it, in which case there's no need for you to post in this thread.

As for being a MUFC supporter, if you are hinting that I am a bandwagon supporter - I've long said I started out as one, about 15 years ago as a young kid. But the fact that I watch most games most weekend, including every United game in every competition would indicate that I'm not a bandwagon supporter but rather a fan of the game itself, and a strong supporter of Man United.
I posted here because I wanted to state exactly what I said - that I view the EPL as a farce.

Despite not being interested in what happens in it from week to week, or at all to be honest, I still have an opinion about the structure of the competition, as I used to take quite an interest in British soccer. As this is a thread about the EPL that is why I posted my view here.

I trust that clear enough for you. If it makes you happy though, I won't be posting here on a regular basis. :) I mean, why would I?

As for the MU bit, I wasn't implying you were a bandwagoner at all. I was implying exactly what I said - that as a supporter of the club with one of the biggest chequebooks, and therefore one of the few EPL clubs with a chance of winning, you would be very interested in the EPL each year.

but really the Scottish French Italian and Spanish leagues are about the same.Germany seems to have a better mix but even then it is mostly the usual suspects
even the Brazilian teams are usually the same

It's all about the money. However that's not exclusive to the EPL - it seems every sport is heading down that path if it has not done so already. Even our beloved AFL is soon to be centred almost exclusively around money with the imminent arrival of free agency.

Fair enough that you don't like it as a result but given my above point I'd suggest sport will, in general, become very boring for you in the not too distant future.

Anyway, enough about that. You've made your point now let's just move on.

Tonight Man City come up against Swansea. On paper this is a no contest but it would be wonderful if an upset eventuated. The new boys on the block will be eager to put in a strong opening performance whilst the ugly brother will be looking to start their title push in the best way possible. Clearly I would love to see Swansea come out of the game with at least a point in what would round off a really good opening round in the quest for yet another title but that is wishful thinking.

Sunderland 0 v Newcastle 1

Nice result for Newcastle in a match up between two teams that will be pushing for the top half of the table and would give themselves a chance to sneak into European competition - and in a derby no less. Always nice to get the points in a derby, especially away from home.

Currently Arsenal and Liverpool are locked at 0-0 with 20 minutes left in the game. Arsenal giving a few players their full debut and have suffered further injuries to add to their unsettling current situation. Good game though and if they can force a result against a big spending Liverpool they will have done well for themselves. EDIT: Up against it now with Frimpong sent off so they will be content with a result.

Later this evening -

Aston Villa v Blackburn - don't mind Villa but losing Young and Downing will be telling. Hard to get a read on them as a result. Blackburn are no good but can see them getting something out of this because to me Villa seem flat.

Everton v QPR - For a team with European aspirations this should be a W for Everton but hoping that is not the case. QPR struggled on opening day at home and were pumped by Bolton so will be desperate for a result but unfortunately I can't see it happening.

Swansea v Wigan - Swansea, like QPR, struggled in their first game in the top flight and will be keen to impress at home and have every right to feel confident of getting something out of this game as Wigan are just hopeless (sorry guns....). Would not surprise if Swansea got full points from this game much to the delight of their home crowd.

Chelsea v West Brom - WBA were impressive last weekend but just succumbed to a stronger side. Can see them fighting right to the end once again but Chelsea should be too strong. Would love West Brom to grind out a result but they are well and truly up against it.

Sunderland 0 v Newcastle 1

Nice result for Newcastle in a match up between two teams that will be pushing for the top half of the table and would give themselves a chance to sneak into European competition - and in a derby no less. Always nice to get the points in a derby, especially away from home.

Currently Arsenal and Liverpool are locked at 0-0 with 20 minutes left in the game. Arsenal giving a few players their full debut and have suffered further injuries to add to their unsettling current situation. Good game though and if they can force a result against a big spending Liverpool they will have done well for themselves. EDIT: Up against it now with Frimpong sent off so they will be content with a result.

Later this evening -

Aston Villa v Blackburn - don't mind Villa but losing Young and Downing will be telling. Hard to get a read on them as a result. Blackburn are no good but can see them getting something out of this because to me Villa seem flat.

Everton v QPR - For a team with European aspirations this should be a W for Everton but hoping that is not the case. QPR struggled on opening day at home and were pumped by Bolton so will be desperate for a result but unfortunately I can't see it happening.

Swansea v Wigan - Swansea, like QPR, struggled in their first game in the top flight and will be keen to impress at home and have every right to feel confident of getting something out of this game as Wigan are just hopeless (sorry guns....). Would not surprise if Swansea got full points from this game much to the delight of their home crowd.

Chelsea v West Brom - WBA were impressive last weekend but just succumbed to a stronger side. Can see them fighting right to the end once again but Chelsea should be too strong. Would love West Brom to grind out a result but they are well and truly up against it.
I think Wigan would struggle in the 1st division to be honest. 2 poor draws are better than losses but will have us in the zone soon enough

Arsenal 0 v Liverpool 2 - Arsenal held on and held on but just couldn't hold off Liverpool in the end, especially when a man down. A very unlucky own goal broke them then a simple tap in from Suarez sealed the deal. Arsenal's turmoil continues whilst Liverpool get their first win on the board in a season where many expect them to be a contender.

Aston Villa 3 v Blackburn 1 - Thud back down to earth for Blackburn after opening day. Villa were good and better than I thought they would be but can't see them causing too many headaches. Always there or there abouts so should be mid table pushing for Europa Cup but they won't get there.

Everton 0 v QPR 1 - Fantastic result for QPR to get their first win of the season, away from home. Up against it in the EPL especially after their result last week but they responded in the best possible way. Passing looked good and a great result. Lots of hard work to be done but they have set themselves a platform from which they can build. Everton on the other hand are struggling big time. They have a heap of quality and usually start slowly but that must be a huge concern.

Swansea 0 v Wigan 0 - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. New boys Swansea get a point against a terrible Wigan who won't survive relegation. Nothing more to say really.

Chelsea 2 v West Brom 1 - Once again WBA battled hard but just fell short of a result. Have to feel for them being dealt with Man United then Chelsea in their opening 2 fixtures of the new season. Battle like they have these first 2 games over the entire duration of the season and they will trouble most sides and certainly avoid relegation but as it stands they are one of two teams to not get a point and have to ensure they do sooner rather than later.

Tonight:

Norwich v Stoke - Stoke are an honest side especially at home so should be too strong for Norwich but they certainly are not without a chance.

Wolves v Fulham - Snore-fest as both sides bore the hell out of me. Fulham to try force a draw.

Bolton v Man City - would lovd Bolton to get a result but City should be too strong.

Norwich 1 v Stoke 1 - Norwich were impressive and unlucky to concede very late in the game. Stoke are a tough team to play (moreso at home though) and at times Norwich were all over them. A well deserved point for Norwich who, if they can develop consistency in their performances and perform to the level they showed last night, will stay up in the top flight for more than the one season. Still it is a long season and I can't see that consistency happening so quickly but they will certainly fight the whole way through. Likely to go down but won't finish rock bottom and will not make it easy for some along the way.

Wolverhampton 2 v Fulham 0 - did not watch this game as both teams bore the hell out of me so can't comment on it too much. From all reports Wolves were quite impressive. I just hate Fulham and would not care in the slightest if they go down - but obviously love Schwartzer and would feel sorry for him if that does happen. It won't though.

Bolton 2 v Man City 3 - really entertaining game with the stronger team getting the points. Bolton fought hard but City just overpowered them in the end as expected. City will be in the title race all season long - very strong squad as is to be expected following so much $$ being spent in the transfer market.

Tonight - Tottenham's first match of the season, coming up against Man United. Spurs hoping to get their season off to a great start and what better way to make a statement than at home against last years champions. This should be an extremely entertaining game. Obviously would love United to win but am tipping a draw here.

Man United 3 v Tottenham 0

United just too strong in the end for Spurs. 0-0 at the half but United came out in the 2nd half and absolutely dominated. Spurs looked stagnant and unsure whilst United ran from whistle to whistle and ran over the top. United have placed a huge emphasis on youth thus far this season, accentuated by injuries of late. United were the youngest team that took the field on opening week and they got significantly younger for this mornings game - and to be honest you could hardly notice, such is the maturity that they have been playing with.

City are the big spenders but United are clearly still the benchmark and will be tough to beat.

Looking magnificent at the moment, but obviously being just the 2nd week of the season there is a hell of a long way to go.

Come on guys - surely I'm not the only one that follows the EPL with great interest!

It was an incredible game last night with Blackburn against Everton. Blackburn had two penalties and missed both :)o), and Everton ended up winning from a penalty.

And Chelsea won via. a penalty goal too.