Enjoy missing the rest of the finals Greene, you scumbag

Remove this Banner Ad

A big problem with the decision is that it essentially sends the message that Bont/we should just have retaliated.

Yep. And if we actually do in the future, you can bet we get weeks for it....

7095D55D-A3ED-47F9-8683-EBF93C265333.jpeg

Toby, this is the finals. We don’t suspend our stars. We’re just going to garnish your salary.

Stolen from FB

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades

NRL just suspended their Toby Greene for 8 weeks for a more accidental looking eye gouge. I don’t watch it because I find it one of the more boring sports, but at least they have some cojones. Love the commentator firing up about it whereas the AFLs media has gone all ‘there’s nothing to see here’.

ppp

NRL just suspended their Toby Greene for 8 weeks for a more accidental looking eye gouge. I don’t watch it because I find it one of the more boring sports, but at least they have some cojones. Love the commentator firing up about it whereas the AFLs media has gone all ‘there’s nothing to see here’.
The irony of "nothing to see here" when you've just had your eyes gouged out.

Out, vile jelly! Where is thy lustre now?

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

It’s embarrassing really.

Gil and his mates spend all their time worrying about incidental b******* yet the real stuff just gets brushed over (when it involves their lovechild).

Maybe they’ll give the Plastics a six goal head start this weekend?

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Laughable , indefensible, embarrassing, only way to describe how the AFL operates.

Yep , I’m unhinged !

I want Gowers playing at our next meeting , his sole mission is to get into Shaw’s head and then move on to Green.
Just do what DeBoer was doing with Bont. They will lose their minds , both are irresponsible twits.

Can’t let what happened Saturday become a template.

It’s embarrassing really.

Gil and his mates spend all their time worrying about incidental b******* yet the real stuff just gets brushed over (when it involves their lovechild).

Maybe they’ll give the Plastics a six goal head start this weekend?

They've already given them a couple by letting Greene play

Nov 21, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok.
Something that has been missed in all of this.
Last season the AFL handed down an automatic minimum 1 week suspension to Lachie Hunter for pushing Sydneys Papley head to the ground with his forearm.
Lachie doesn't have 16 priors to his name, Lachie didn't grab papleys Hair nor did he put his hands on Papleys face and it warranted an automatic 1 week suspension but yet Greene they feel warrants just a fine? Wow.

Redpath gets 2 weeks for a hit to Davis chest changed to 3 weeks on a failed appeal while Himmelberg punches Bont in the gut who after it is in clear pain and gets just a fine? WOWSERS!

Nov 21, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Laughable , indefensible, embarrassing, only way to describe how the AFL operates.

Yep , I’m unhinged !

I want Gowers playing at our next meeting , his sole mission is to get into Shaw’s head and then move on to Green.
Just do what DeBoer was doing with Bont. They will lose their minds , both are irresponsible twits.

Can’t let what happened Saturday become a template.

Libba calling Shaw crazy in the 2016 prelim was gold. We got into Shaws head that day and Dickson gave him a bath.

Ok.
Last season the AFL handed down an automatic minimum 1 week suspension to Lachie Hunter for pushing Sydneys Papley head to the ground with his forearm.
Lachie doesn't have 16 priors to his name, Lachie didn't grab papleys Hair nor did he put his hands on Papleys face and it warranted an automatic 1 week suspension but yet Greene they feel warrants just a fine? Wow.

Redpath gets 2 weeks for a hit to Davis chest changed to 3 weeks on a failed appeal while Himmelberg punches Bont in the gut who after it is in clear pain and gets just a fine? WOWSERS!

Robbo (repeatedly): "the head is sacrosanct!"

Looks at Toby mauling Bont's head: "Why are we even discussing this?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok.

Indeed, and finally some decent media analysis:

godoggies15

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yea!! Finally someone from the media questioning the bulls*#t tribunal process on Monday. Though still no mention of Greene's prior history.

godoggies15

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dodgy situation if the prosecutor is employed by the AFL? Or was it one engaged by the club

My belief is the Prosecuter represents AFL which would mean he receives instruction from AFL.....and further if you read AFL tribunal policy then only people required to attend is the charged player and their representative along with any expert witness....no mention of the “victim “

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
My belief is the Prosecuter represents AFL which would mean he receives instruction from AFL.....and further if you read AFL tribunal policy then only people required to attend is the charged player and their representative along with any expert witness....no mention of the “victim “

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, he's being charged by the AFL, there isn't anybody else. Therefore there's plenty of time to work on the outcome they want.

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
They'll miss Robbo. No chance he'd allow that s**t happen to Neale like our players did to Bont.
Been poking around on the Brissie Lions board and the vibe I'm getting is that Nick Robbo is the most like-for-like replacement for Mitch.

Not to mention that he's probably the most unsociable player on the Brisbane list

While I agree he's a disgrace, and needed to be suspended (and I maintain it was more than one occasion he 'pushed the limits' to facetime :mad:), one argument I genuinely dislike is the monetary factor.

$7500 is a lot to anyone. (I'll choose to ignore the likelyhood of him paying his own fine, because it's the same as everyone else playing...)

Let me give you the real world example of a speeding fine.
I'm sure it varies from state to state, but getting caught speeding, moderately over the limit will cost you anywhere between $120 - $250.
Whether you agree or not, it's been decreed that traveling over a set speed increases the likelihood of causing serious injury.
You didn't, but you chose to take the risk.

The main point being you get the same fine if you're unemployed (big hit!), a part time receptionist, a primary school teacher, an airline pilot or, indeed, an AFL footballer (pocket change)...

Whilst I'm sure the AFL has the ability to vary the amount of a fine, I'm just as sure it's a reasonably set amount, agreed upon by all parties, obviously including the AFLPA.

Sorry, but this line really grinds me.

Go Lions.

Discussing the decision is a moot point in context however it does highlight the major disparities with tribunal and punishment. Any player fronting the tribunal for eye gouging/misconduct should plead guilty and appeal any suspension on the basis of Greene’s fine.

The tribunal has been a shambles for a long time, this was not really a surprise imo.

While I agree he's a disgrace, and needed to be suspended (and I maintain it was more than one occasion he 'pushed the limits' to facetime :mad:), one argument I genuinely dislike is the monetary factor.

$7500 is a lot to anyone. (I'll choose to ignore the likelyhood of him paying his own fine, because it's the same as everyone else playing...)

Let me give you the real world example of a speeding fine.
I'm sure it varies from state to state, but getting caught speeding, moderately over the limit will cost you anywhere between $120 - $250.
Whether you agree or not, it's been decreed that traveling over a set speed increases the likelihood of causing serious injury.
You didn't, but you chose to take the risk.

The main point being you get the same fine if you're unemployed (big hit!), a part time receptionist, a primary school teacher, an airline pilot or, indeed, an AFL footballer (pocket change)...

Whilst I'm sure the AFL has the ability to vary the amount of a fine, I'm just as sure it's a reasonably set amount, agreed upon by all parties, obviously including the AFLPA.

Sorry, but this line really grinds me.

Go Lions.
I get what you're saying and a fine of $7500 would be a fair old whack if it was handed out to a rookie who gets far less salary than Greene. However if the point of the punishment is to be a disincentive to repeat the behaviour then a fine of this order obviously doesn't work - as we have seen! - when you're pulling in far in excess of half a million a year

A suspension from a finals game on the other hand would be different for many reasons, not least that it lets down the club and his teammates who might take a different view of it than if he was fined, especially if it leads to a narrow loss in the next final and the end of the Giants' season.

While I'm sure Greene would rather not have to pay the fine at all I bet he was delighted with the outcome on Monday. It's also very short odds that he'll repeat that sort of behaviour soon enough, probably no later than 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back