Roast Enough is Enough

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
This game was the straw that broke the Camel's back. I will not be watching any more games until the coach is given the boot which he warrants. I was at a wedding and didn't see the game, just kept tabs on the score and actually watched it When I got home to see what happened, and it was same old guard of so called experienced players that did not stand up.

His coaching method is purely based on effort and that will only get you so far (about were we are now). We have continued base everything that we stand for around pressure and tackling with everything else coming second. That's all very good if you have the skill already at your disposal (which we did, but have somehow lost it). Richo is a meat and potato coach just like he was as a player and expects the same from everyone else.

We have stagnated and gone backwards to terms of flair, confidence and skill level. When was the last time we actually beat a decent side or even put wooden spoon sides to the sword. This year we are very fortunate to be in the position we are and the wins that we have had against struggles have been last than a kick. On another day we could easily be on 0 wins if a bit of luck didn't go our way.

Our losses have been 7 goals plus against sides that have been higher than us. Simply put, we have never been able to compete with teams that realistically we should be beating every so often even if it's by fluke.

This team is drained in confidence and you can see that they team is playing with 0 freedom. They are rigid in everything they do and it seems that all the natural flair has been lost on all players.

We have continued to gift games to the same players that are apparently showing this effort and determination that Richo craves even if they have been playing poorly for the last 18 months. Somehow these players are never dropped and it's the same 4 players that are dropped and rotated. We have been pantsed in the midfiled week after week yet, Ross and Newnes have played recording breaking games consecutively. Yet it's the same players that find them selves at Sandy in Dunstan, Acres etc.

I would rather lose the game by 40 + points like we are doing now and seeing the likes of Clark (play on ball were he he should play) Coffield over Armitage (blind Freddy knew he is not up to it) Langlands on the wing over Newnes who has been piss poor for ever and a day. I'd have White in the backline over McKenzie he get pantsed 1v1 most times and can't hit a barn door with his kicking.

On top of this as I've said earlier, we have wet the bed when the spotlight has been placed on us the last 4 years. Essendon game after we beat Richomnd, Port game we lost, North game for Easter and now this against the Lions. We simply can't handle the limelight in big games or games against quality opposition.

This was my Last game watching us under Richo until drastic changes happen and that includes Finnis being given the boot for a shocking decision to extended a coaches contract before a game has been played which has set us back 5 plus years. I will be reading this board, but will not be wasting my Weekends stressing and feeling like crap with what this club dishes up.

End Rant

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Seriously wonder about supporters. Thinking they have that much importance that they control the club. Hopefully most don’t think like you. They may say they do but they will still go especially next game. Supporters support. They can get upset but hurting the club doesn’t help anyone.

You didn’t even see the game anyway so won’t be missed.

I will be there next week supporting my club and roo.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
Seriously wonder about supporters. Thinking they have that much importance that they control the club. Hopefully most don’t think like you. They may say they do but they will still go especially next game. Supporters support. They can get upset but hurting the club doesn’t help anyone.

You didn’t even see the game anyway so won’t be missed.

I will be there next week supporting my club and roo.
Mate I'm an interstate support and having been buying a membership for last 10 plays years with not being able to see game live. And your comment about the importance of supprters is ridiculous. Without us there is NO AFL or the club's. Pretty simple really. We are the ones forking out hard earned to watch and support. I'm tired of living in mediocrity year after year. It's supporters like you that are happy to take the type of performances we have seen year after year.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Mate I'm an interstate support and having been buying a membership for last 10 plays years with not being able to see game live. And your comment about the importance of supprters is ridiculous. Without us there is NO AFL or the club's. Pretty simple really. We are the ones forking out hard earned to watch and support. I'm tired of living in mediocrity year after year. It's supporters like you that are happy to take the type of performances we have seen year after year.
I didn’t say they weren’t important. I said they think they are that important that they think they can control the club. I had no idea you were an interstate supporter. I think they are great for donating money but it helps no one threatening the club to do as you want or you won’t watch.

And who said I’m happy. I’m not but I will tell you one thing. Me cracking it with the club will not change one thing. If I don’t go to the footy it hurts the club.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
I didn’t say they weren’t important. I said they think they are that important that they think they can control the club. I had no idea you were an interstate supporter. I think they are great for donating money but it helps no one threatening the club to do as you want or you won’t watch.

And who said I’m happy. I’m not but I will tell you one thing. Me cracking it with the club will not change one thing. If I don’t go to the footy it hurts the club.
We all know that the coach isn't up to it, some of us on here have knows for the last 2 or 3 years. Yet nothing has changed. How can the club continually get it wrong with a number of match day selections/performances. Us members can control the club if our voice multiplies. One voice won't make a difference, but if a number of voices ban together then movements/changes will happen. It's pretty straight forward. I watched the game.and by 3QT the stadium had mostly Brisbane Lions supporters with all of ours leaving. If i was Lethlean and Bassett i would be taking note.

You can still support the club financially and at the same time let them know of your concerns. Luckily this administration listens to their supporters more than any other administration in the clubs history. I don't want to tell you what to do, but I know that withdrawing your financial support will only hurt the club. I have been a member for near on 30 years and will continue to do so even if we never win another game because I know how important it is to see the club grow. If you want us to improve and become a bigger & better club, withdrawing financially will give you the complete opposite result.

Lets be honest, we are all die hards here. Let the fairweather supporters drop off, because once we are back they will come back on board too. St.Kilda needs us now more than ever. I am frustrated like the rest of us but I love my football club. All the best mate.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
You can still support the club financially and at the same time let them know of your concerns. Luckily this administration listens to their supporters more than any other administration in the clubs history. I don't want to tell you what to do, but I know that withdrawing your financial support will only hurt the club. I have been a member for near on 30 years and will continue to do so even if we never win another game because I know how important it is to see the club grow. If you want us to improve and become a bigger & better club, withdrawing financially will give you the complete opposite result.

Lets be honest, we are all die hards here. Let the fairweather supporters drop off, because once we are back they will come back on board too. St.Kilda needs us now more than ever. I am frustrated like the rest of us but I love my football club. All the best mate.
The club will still be supported financially by me. But it's getting to a point now were they need to make drastic changes as they will lose other supporters due to financial constraints that they may have.

jaza2003

Senior List
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Your frustrations are warranted mate and I feel your pain.

It's such an emotional game. It really can't take its toll on you. Especially considering how long it has been since we have won a big one.

A break may not be that bad, give you a chance to miss the saints and rest the blood pressure. We will all still be here if you do choose to take a break until old mate is gone, but keep your head up bud, hopefully things change soon :) we are all here with you!

That was a hard game to watch. Will continue to support the club financially and emotionally but somethings got to give. Can’t see us getting the talent or sponsors we need with that sort of performance. We run way too deep with GOPs. The Trout legacy is really hurting. The only hope is recent drafting that looks pretty good.

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
Supporters of any team in any sport must do what they think is right. One of the few means of protest fans have is to refuse to attend for a period, but that creates a dilemma: withdrawing cash might do further damage; however, it might force change. It's never an easy decision.

Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
What are people's expectations if we sack Richardson??

Does Brad Scott make Jono Marsh an AFL standard defender??
Does Michael Voss make Seb Ross/Dunstan/ any of our mids hit a target??
Does Ratten make our mids kick to players on a lead instead of bombing long??

Our list is average, we have no depth, and we've got a massive chunk of our core sitting in the stands (with a couple of key ones looking at early retirement, and our best player for the last 5 years looking at the exit door)

FWIW, I think Richo is gone, but I think we all need to seriously temper our expectations once it happens, because we're just not that good.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

Our list is average, we have no depth, and we've got a massive chunk of our core sitting in the stands (with a couple of key ones looking at early retirement, and our best player for the last 5 years looking at the exit door)

FWIW, I think Richo is gone, but I think we all need to seriously temper our expectations once it happens, because we're just not that good.
I doubt any of us can answer that question given we're not afl coaches.

What a change would do is ease the pressure. I'd like to think whoever comes in has no preconceived opinions. Understands where the list is and develops the kids for now. Clark, Coffield, White, Paton and new kids through the draft system in the next couple of drafts.

The new coach won't be coaching for their and can therefore try new systems without having a do or die game every week.

Feb 19, 2009
Moorabbin
AFL Club
St Kilda

I don't agree with this at all. If all of the disappointed members on Bigfooty, wrote an email to Andrew Bassett instead of posting here the club would have to take notice.

The only hope is recent drafting that looks pretty good.

That's pretty much the only thing keeping my hope up.

I'm also basing my faith on Lethers getting the list call right....that's absolutely crucial.

We just cannot afford to stuff that up.

i emailed the club last year when i had enough. their assessment was that 2018 was a one off. alan richardson was great coach who just needed more support. safe to say they completely mis-read this one and have no ******* idea. it's hilarious how far off it they are.

so my families 6 memberships were paid up and cancelled two weeks ago.

they can have my money again when they can demonstrate they can responsibly spend it. which right now they are not doing.

i know this will just piss off the loyal types, who will hand over their cash no matter what, who think the club is completely faultless and never does anything wrong.

but it's my opinion and i'm entitled to do what ever the * i want with my money. my moneys not going to a glorified version of entourage where there's always jobs for mates.

Last edited:
Do you reckon any professional soccer club would have kept the same coach for six years if he had a similar record to Richo- don't think so

That's the real issue IMO, the club backed Richo which means they thought his list was s**t after a long time rebuilding....but they didn't sack Trout who must have been responsible for that list rebuild. They just didn't make hard calls when they were required.

i know they will just ******** the loyal types, who will hand over their cash no matter what, who think the club is completely faultless and never does anything wrong.
You couldn't be further from the truth.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Absolutely agree with this but at 6 years with no finals and 35 percent W/L he's had his go. Can't just sit on our hands and go 'oh well the list is s**t, may as well keep Richo for another 6 years'. A new coach may get some improvement from the list and can oversee a new direction whilst hopefully better players are drafted / developed.

I doubt any of us can answer that question given we're not afl coaches.

What a change would do is ease the pressure. I'd like to think whoever comes in has no preconceived opinions. Understands where the list is and develops the kids for now. Clark, Coffield, White, Paton and new kids through the draft system in the next couple of drafts.

The new coach won't be coaching for their and can therefore try new systems without having a do or die game every week.

I reckon White is gone and Paton is the only one of those that deserve games. I have a bad feeling on Clark and Coff, I think they'll struggle to make it. Just not got the drive or tricks to be anything. It can change at that age but they look more of the same, GOP battlers. Our later picks are miles ahead of them. Paton looks a heap in front of either, he's quick, uses the ball well and doesn't look off the pace. I reckon Dingley Liquorlands will out perform them too when he gets a go.

Nothing much will change in drafting until we invest money and time into it. How we let Dalrymple get to Sydney without seeing how much he'd cost is unbelievable. Gun recruiters never leave and when one did we didn't pounce.

Back