Roast Enough is Enough

This is the first time since I've been a member (2012) that I've considered stopping. I don't want to, but I am sick of watching games that he's coaching. We're just s**t.

I understand that there is more wrong with the club than Richo, but keeping him there is just making everything worse. With all the recent changes in coaches going on and potentially still going on (for example John Worsfold and Longmire).... now is really the time for us to be out there trying to land a better coach.

It's clear we are not going to make finals this year so I don't know why they won't pull the trigger. It was too expensive to sack him last year, there is less we need to pay out now.

My son who has followed us since birth has said he's following the Giants until we get better after the Richmond game. My wife and dayghter don't go to games. Our 4 memberships are a donation now.

I'll keep paying but I doubt I will go to many games next year or the rest of this year. We are hard to watch and hard to see much obvious direction. The stadium experience is embarrassing, it's empty and emotionless.

I think if Scott comes and we sell off our first round pick for some average players it will be hard for me to care until we turn it around.

It’s not that hard to say sorry. We all get things wrong. I get many

You don't like him, just ignore him. He's allowed to do what ever he likes. He's an interstate member so gets jack for it anyway. Telling him he's an idiot or wrong gets you some likes from people with similar view points but you are better to sell him the benefits of why keeping his dollars at the club is a good thing than trying to shame him and make him apologise for something that I'm not even sure what is any more.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
You don't like him, just ignore him. He's allowed to do what ever he likes. He's an interstate member so gets jack for it anyway. Telling him he's an idiot or wrong gets you some likes from people with similar view points but you are better to sell him the benefits of why keeping his dollars at the club is a good thing than trying to shame him and make him apologise for something that I'm not even sure what is any more.

When did a I call him an idiot. What is wrong with you. He is wrong so I will tell him he is wrong especially when it is knocking the club. And you are not sure but you then have a go at me. Strange weird. He knows and the post was to him so maybe he answers it or he doesn't but if you are going to butt in which is fine maybe gets your facts in order.

its funny the thing that probably got me over the line last year for not cancelling my membership after the whole review debacle, was George. someone who's view on here i've respected for years, ever since he joined up. i'm not sure if he realised it then or now, but that's what kept me on. it ended up getting the club a $200 donation on top of it.

my contribution isn't worth much. <1k. so i'm not worth a full game membership holder and the emphasis obviously has to be on those in melbourne. as P66 has been at pains to remind me for months now. i'm miles away. who cares!

plus my families membership won't make or break the club. i doubt they club even cares tbh. there's nothing they can do and there's no point them investing anymore resources into something for less than 1k in revenue. as st_trav_ofWA pointed out, he will cover it anyways. so i'm not sure why it caused so much angst or the need to link it to the clubs financial position, if it's so easily replaced. but he's correct it's a drop in the ocean and means nothing. so if i walk to make my dissatisfaction clear, i'm not really hurting the club. which is a good thing!

my mistake is i was vocal about it. if others are in the same position or feel the same way, i'd recommend just staying quiet on here. by all means contact the club, they'll listen to you and give you an update on whats happening, which can be helpful. but don't mention anything on here. it's not going to help at all. it'll just seal the deal for you.

people will say they won't tell you how to spend your money, but i'll end up being a conversation about exactly that! as i was told, "dis the club" or "turn your back on it" and they'll let you know.

it's funny i thought having club involvement closer to this forum would be beneficial. in my case its been anything but.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
its funny the thing that probably got me over the line last year for not cancelling my membership after the whole review debacle, was George. someone who's view on here i've respected for years, ever since he joined up. i'm not sure if he realised it then or now, but that's what kept me on. it ended up getting the club a $200 donation on top of it.

my contribution isn't worth much. <1k. so i'm not worth a full game membership holder and the emphasis obviously has to be on those in melbourne. as P66 has been at pains to remind me for months now. i'm miles away. who cares!

plus my families membership won't make or break the club. i doubt they club even cares tbh. there's nothing they can do and there's no point them investing anymore resources into something for less than 1k in revenue. as st_trav_ofWA pointed out, he will cover it anyways. so i'm not sure why it caused so much angst or the need to link it to the clubs financial position, if it's so easily replaced. but he's correct it's a drop in the ocean and means nothing. so if i walk to make my dissatisfaction clear, i'm not really hurting the club. which is a good thing!

my mistake is i was vocal about it. if others are in the same position or feel the same way, i'd recommend just staying quiet on here. by all means contact the club, they'll listen to you and give you an update on whats happening, which can be helpful. but don't mention anything on here. it's not going to help at all. it'll just seal the deal for you.

people will say they won't tell you how to spend your money, but i'll end up being a conversation about exactly that! as i was told, "dis the club" or "turn your back on it" and they'll let you know.

it's funny i thought having club involvement closer to this forum would be beneficial. in my case its been anything but.

If you are going to comment on something I said at least put it in context. I must have said 100 times people who join up from interstate are amazing. So for that part its great. The other comment wasn't about memberships and you know it. And you are right. If not happy contact the club. They are real people. We could be Geelong supporters. No one knows us.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

ok ill bite ....
be honest the reason you posted you are pulling you membership was to advertise it as some sort of protest .. if you are going to grandstand like that about you leaving then accept that you are going to cop flack for it ... for me you are right your membership dollars on its own doesnt hurt the club (and i feel we have had this conversation before) but when you grandstand and make a big song and dance about why you are not renewing you just make the job of people like George, people like myself and the other supporter groups to retain and grow membership that little harder .. this is not new i reckon we had this convo last time you made your grand statment you were not joining up by all means do what you want with your money but dont try and drag people out with you ..
you called my club a s**t show with no ******* idea if thats not dissin my club what is? you are the one so proudly advertising you are pulling your membership so dont get all cut up when we say you are turning your back on the club because if the shoe fits ....

as i said i like you as a person but the way you carry on in here is frustrating especially when you dont know the stuff behind the the curtain that our club does ... you dont want to be a member fine... off you go it irks me cause what i have done in the past but so be it ..

the truth of it is anything you post now as a non-member rightly or wrongly in my mind at least holds no weight you are basically a troll to our forum now in my mind ... it might not be fair it might not bother you in the slightest but thats how i see it

ok ill bite ....
be honest the reason you posted you are pulling you membership was to advertise it as some sort of protest .. if you are going to grandstand like that about you leaving then accept that you are going to cop flack for it ... for me you are right your membership dollars on its own doesnt hurt the club (and i feel we have had this conversation before) but when you grandstand and make a big song and dance about why you are not renewing you just make the job of people like George, people like myself and the other supporter groups to retain and grow membership that little harder .. this is not new i reckon we had this convo last time you made your grand statment you were not joining up by all means do what you want with your money but dont try and drag people out with you ..
you called my club a s**t show with no ******* idea if thats not dissin my club what is? you are the one so proudly advertising you are pulling your membership so dont get all cut up when we say you are turning your back on the club because if the shoe fits ....

as i said i like you as a person but the way you carry on in here is frustrating especially when you dont know the stuff behind the the curtain that our club does ... you dont want to be a member fine... off you go it irks me cause what i have done in the past but so be it ..

the truth of it is anything you post now as a non-member rightly or wrongly in my mind at least holds no weight you are basically a troll to our forum now in my mind ... it might not be fair it might not bother you in the slightest but thats how i see it

ok mate

ok ill bite ....

He's a passionate supporter money or not. It's worse if no-one cares. I have said stuff like I'll stop supporting us when I'm emotional, it's usually after a loss or some kind of * up. Some people are obviously better regulated on line, good for them. I wish I was but I'm not, the irony is when you get the forum jump you for stepping out of line, you get more fixed in your stance, when people calmly point out your flawed logic, it's much easier to concede your own point. St C gets attacked by a few on here and to me it's just going to make him more entrenched, as it would me. I hope he keeps his money in the club and I hope he keeps posting. He has a an opinion that's different to lots of others, that's a positive to me. I hate echo chambers.

Well mate my stance on that won't change no matter how frustrated I am with the club or how we're playing. And I would hold the same view if it were anyone, not just a thing with you. I guess you are the most overly critical one on here so it may seem that way. It's hard competing in a 10 team state. We need all the help we can get - and that goes for the Collingwood's and Richmond's of the AFL too. It's a very competitive market in Victoria. I've gone over it 100 times so won't do it again but the stuff I've said to you regarding this matter I would've said to anyone who was doing the same thing - it doesn't help us and it will never help us. I think you make some really valid points sometimes and some of it I actually agree with you on, but can't here unfortunately.
Cheers.

And if my conversations with you last year are what made you stick on board I really am appreciative of that. You don't think it means much in the grand scheme of things but it really does. Sticking fat through good and bad makes it all worthwhile in the end. It wouldn't mean as much to me if I only signed on as a member when we we're winning. I'm sure any passionate St.Kilda person would feel the same.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's a passionate supporter money or not. It's worse if no-one cares. I have said stuff like I'll stop supporting us when I'm emotional, it's usually after a loss or some kind of **** up. Some people are obviously better regulated on line, good for them. I wish I was but I'm not, the irony is when you get the forum jump you for stepping out of line, you get more fixed in your stance, when people calmly point out your flawed logic, it's much easier to concede your own point. St C gets attacked by a few on here and to me it's just going to make him more entrenched, as it would me. I hope he keeps his money in the club and I hope he keeps posting. He has a an opinion that's different to lots of others, that's a positive to me. I hate echo chambers.
to be fair Gringo i did post to calmly point out the flawed logic when StC dobled down on that flawed logic i responded in tune ... re-read my first post on this matter and tell me if i attacked the poster .. in fact i think most posted in a simiar vein (except maybe Pluggs)

Last edited:
to be fair Gringo i did post to calmly point out the flawed logic when StC dobled down on that flawed logic i responded in tune ... re-read my first post on this matter and tell me if i attacked the poster .. in fact i think most posted in a simiar vein (except maybe Pluggs)

I want to go back and read the older posts but there are so many words. I know you are usually a very composed and fair poster Trav, I reckon St C is a pretty fair poster before he gets people come at him about posts. there are a few who jump on him for everything he says and it doesn't really achieve anything other than doubling down.

You are better to just leave it where it is than keep trying to convince someone when they are triggered. I say some dumb things on here and you kind of know they are ******* idiocy at times but once three people tell you how dumb you are for thinking that way, you all of a sudden fix yourself for a fight. Any ability to concede any point melts away.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Have I attacked the poster by asking for answers. This place is weird. But thanks for your support. God help me

Luckily I won’t judge your posting like you and gringo have. Even de facto hasn’t had a go at my posts.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have I attacked the poster by asking for answers. This place is weird. But thanks for your support. God help me

Luckily I won’t judge your posting like you and gringo have. Even de facto hasn’t had a go at my posts.
its a joke pluggs.. calm down ..
more to the point you tend to go for the kill early

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
its a joke pluggs.. calm down ..
more to the point you tend to go for the kill early
No I tend to stick up for the club when a statement to support the argument is wrong. If it’s an opinion that’s fine but when it’s wrong it’s wrong. I would hope others would do the same to me until I admitted it. So when I wrong tell me and I will say soooorrr. No I won’t.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
I’m not sure I like the way StCicatriz is being painted in this conversation. It’s too simplistic to paint him (or anyone) as more or less of a “real” supporter based on whether or not they are a member.

To give him credit and whether you agree with him or not, St C is very clear on what he thinks the issue is with our club. And I have no doubt at all that he is just as clear when he talks with our membership department. We need supporters like him and I have a lot of respect for the likes of him and Mowman that took the time to articulate their (in my view) warranted concerns about the club and what they were doing wrong last year.

Just as I have enormous respect for the posters on here that give their time at the club and give us an insight on what is going on there.

St C is a funny one because, when I was a fully-fledged member of the “the club is on the right track, road to 2018 here we come" his posting would rub me the wrong way. But when you look back on it, he hasn’t been wrong on too much really. He went earlier than anyone on the “our development is way behind other clubs” well before others did. Just maybe he knows about this from watching his local club closely? I have little doubt now that what he’s been saying for a long time (that he’d trust his local WAFL club to develop young talent more than St Kilda) is 100% on the money for what it’s worth.

This year he has Finnis firmly in his sights for falling asleep at the wheel on football matters and I for one aren’t dismissing him at all but it is rubbing many up the wrong way.

For what it’s worth, I think how the club has handled Richo and football matters looks worse by the year and I worry we are still in for a world of pain until Richo is replaced at the very least. Largely because of this, I downgraded my and my wife’s membership last year and this year after going all in with the most expensive membership and social club package I could from 2012 onward (because I BELIEVED in the road to 2018 and thought the club could use the extra cash). I never get to games being overseas and my Swedish wife has never seen a game live so it’s a donation…. But I’d give the same and more in the future if I saw what I consider to be competent FOOTBALL decisions made about coaching and other things.

This club is at a serious crossroads in my opinion. For me, it reminds me of an addicted family member that keeps messing up and promises they will get better. Some members of the family will say “you have to stick by them no matter what”. Others will have limits and say “we need to let them hit rock-bottom, we need to stop enabling them”. No one is wrong in this situation, both are done from a place of love.

I personally think strongly articulating their dissatisfaction with decisions the club has made like St C and Mowman have done is better for the health of the club than just giving money to the club silently. And it’s probably better for their mental health as well.

At the end of the day, St Kilda is a family member for pretty much all of us and it is no wonder given the years since 2010 we are struggling to keep the faith. But there is no need to turn on other supporters and question their love for the club because they have a different set of beliefs about how to turn things around.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I’m not sure I like the way StCicatriz is being painted in this conversation. It’s too simplistic to paint him (or anyone) as more or less of a “real” supporter based on whether or not they are a member.

To give him credit and whether you agree with him or not, St C is very clear on what he thinks the issue is with our club. And I have no doubt at all that he is just as clear when he talks with our membership department. We need supporters like him and I have a lot of respect for the likes of him and Mowman that took the time to articulate their (in my view) warranted concerns about the club and what they were doing wrong last year.

Just as I have enormous respect for the posters on here that give their time at the club and give us an insight on what is going on there.

St C is a funny one because, when I was a fully-fledged member of the “the club is on the right track, road to 2018 here we come" his posting would rub me the wrong way. But when you look back on it, he hasn’t been wrong on too much really. He went earlier than anyone on the “our development is way behind other clubs” well before others did. Just maybe he knows about about this from watching his local club closely? I have little doubt now that what he’s been saying for a long time (that he’d trust his local WAFL club to develop young talent more than St Kilda) is 100% on the money for what it’s worth.

This year he has Finnis firmly in his sights for falling asleep at the wheel on football matters and I for one aren’t dismissing him at all but it is rubbing many up the wrong way.

For what it’s worth, I think how the club has handled Richo and football matters looks worse by the year and I worry we are still in for a world of pain until Richo is replaced at the very least. Largely beacuse of this, I downgraded my and my wife’s membership last year and this year after going all in with the most expensive membership and social club package I could from 2012 onward (because I BELIEVED in the road to 2018 and thought the club could use the extra cash). I never get to games being overseas and my Swedish wife has never seen a game live so it’s a donation…. But I’d give the same and more in the future if I saw what I consider to be competent FOOTBALL decisions made about coaching and other things.

This club is at a serious crossroads in my opinion. For me, it reminds me of an addicted family member that keeps messing up and promises they will get better. Some members of the family will say “you have to stick by them no matter what”. Others will have limits and say “we need to let them hit rock-bottom, we need to stop enabling them”. No one is wrong in this situation, both are done from a place of love.

I personally think strongly articulating their dissatisfaction with decisions the club has made like St C and Mowman have done is better for the health of the club than just giving money to the club silently. And it’s probably better for their mental health as well.

At the end of the day, St Kilda is a family member for pretty much all of us and it is no wonder given the years since 2010 we are struggling to keep the faith. But there is no need to turn on other supporters and question their love for the club because they have a different set of beliefs about how to turn things around.
You are overrating what is said on here thinking it has any impact on the club at all. If it does it’s negative because it gets others thinking I might not join as well because of things people have said especially when some clearly aren’t true.

And if you come on a saints site proudly telling people you aren’t going to be a member anymore then you should be prepared to cop it off some. You choose to support him. I choose not to. Doesn’t make either of us right or wrong.

As for their mental health that’s fine but I fail to see how knocking the club and not rejoining is better than giving money. It’s not like the club know every single member. If I don’t join next year I will get a call. I will give them reasons and to be honest it will not change a thing. If 5k members don’t join they still aren’t going to sack finnis or get the popular coach. They just lose a million dollars.

And to be completely honest I believe if you throw around enough negative comments you will get a couple right. Same as itk with trades

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
You are overrating what is said on here thinking it has any impact on the club at all. If it does it’s negative because it gets others thinking I might not join as well because of things people have said especially when some clearly aren’t true.

And if you come on a saints site proudly telling people you aren’t going to be a member anymore then you should be prepared to cop it off some. You choose to support him. I choose not to. Doesn’t make either of us right or wrong.

As for their mental health that’s fine but I fail to see how knocking the club and not rejoining is better than giving money. It’s not like the club know every single member. If I don’t join next year I will get a call. I will give them reasons and to be honest it will not change a thing. If 5k members don’t join they still aren’t going to sack finnis or get the popular coach. They just lose a million dollars.

And to be completely honest I believe if you throw around enough negative comments you will get a couple right. Same as itk with trades
That's where I differ, honestly, I think if 5000 members didn't renew and made it known it was because of Richo it would have an impact and the club would seriously need to look at what they are doing because they are not a dictatorship... they have members and sponsors and aim to be as successful a business as possible.

I'd agree with you that just writing on here won't have an impact but I would say voicing concerns directly to the club is constructive and probably the best thing a supporter can do in the circumstances if they passionately believe that the club is heading in the wrong direction. You can counter that it doesn't make a difference but if enough do it, I think there would be a tipping point.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
That's where I differ, honestly, I think if 5000 members didn't renew and made it known it was because of Richo it would have an impact and the club would seriously need to look at what they are doing because they are not a dictatorship... they have members and sponsors and aim to be as successful a business as possible.

I'd agree with you that just writing on here won't have an impact but I would say voicing concerns directly to the club is constructive and probably the best thing a supporter can do in the circumstances if they passionately believe that the club is heading in the wrong direction. You can counter that it doesn't make a difference but if enough do it, I think there would be a tipping point.
Obviously with richo but he is gone. Say we appoint Scott and 5k don’t join. They won’t sack him will they. The problem with not joining is the club don’t usually know why until all appointments are finalised.

And my guess is sponsors would know all appointments before us and they would get the ok. If we were appointing an idiot they would speak to sponsors first. And members have the right to challenge the board anytime they like. Non members don’t.

St C is a funny one because, when I was a fully-fledged member of the “the club is on the right track, road to 2018 here we come" his posting would rub me the wrong way. But when you look back on it, he hasn’t been wrong on too much really. He went earlier than anyone on the “our development is way behind other clubs” well before others did. Just maybe he knows about this from watching his local club closely? I have little doubt now that what he’s been saying for a long time (that he’d trust his local WAFL club to develop young talent more than St Kilda) is 100% on the money for what it’s worth.

For what it’s worth, I think how the club has handled Richo and football matters looks worse by the year and I worry we are still in for a world of pain until Richo is replaced at the very least. Largely beacuse of this, I downgraded my and my wife’s membership last year and this year after going all in with the most expensive membership and social club package I could from 2012 onward (because I BELIEVED in the road to 2018 and thought the club could use the extra cash). I never get to games being overseas and my Swedish wife has never seen a game live so it’s a donation…. But I’d give the same and more in the future if I saw what I consider to be competent FOOTBALL decisions made about coaching and other things.

I've said to him privately and publicly that I can respect a lot of what he has to say, and I'm sure he is a passionate Saints supporter deep down but saying things like boycotting games and withdrawing financially isn't the telltale signs of a supporter. And that was my issue.

Speaking for myself here but I don't really ever take issue with someone being critical of the club. There's definitely a line on what's acceptable and what isn't though and lately most of what St.C has said I have disagreed with - in part because it's wrong and in part because the club cops a lot of undue criticism from a lot of people that don't really know. I would have a lot more patience with people who are impartial. I think what people say holds less and less weight the more overly negative (or overly positive) they are. At least that's how I see it.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've said to him privately and publicly that I can respect a lot of what he has to say, and I'm sure he is a passionate Saints supporter deep down but saying things like boycotting games and withdrawing financially isn't the telltale signs of a supporter. And that was my issue.

Speaking for myself here but I don't really ever take issue with someone being critical of the club. There's definitely a line on what's acceptable and what isn't though and lately most of what St.C has said I have disagreed with - in part because it's wrong and in part because the club cops a lot of undue criticism from a lot of people that don't really know. I would have a lot more patience with people who are impartial. I think what people say holds less and less weight the more overly negative (or overly positive) they are. At least that's how I see it.
I feel St C just vent's by making comments that might hit a nerve.

Understand your point of view George, but boy I would rather read about his point of view of the club then the continuous admit you're wrong, admit you're wrong crap that went on all day

Back