Status
Not open for further replies.

andy_20

Team Captain
Jun 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Before anyone questions my loyalty to Fremantle Dockers let me just say that I have been a supporter of the club since 95 and a member for the last 11 years. I have sunk thousands of $$$ into this club in the form of membership, purchasing of merchandise and many other things such as club functions etc.. I feel due to being loyal since day 1 my comments below are warranted, some may find them hard to swallow but I feel it needs to be said.

I am sick and tired of the same mediocre crap being dished up by this club year after year. I’ve had an absolute gutful and I am just about ready to hand back my membership and stop supporting this sorry excuse of a club. When will this club stop “Promising” like they have since 95 and actually start to deliver? I thought after the 2010 season that we were actually finally moving forward but since then we have gone backwards. Every coach we have gone through has all said the same BS but in different words, “We are building to something special, have patience” Well I’ve been patient for 16 years and I’ve just about had enough, I don’t want to be patient anymore, I WANT TO SEE RESULTS NOW! I don’t care how good a side Hawthorn are, we were absolutely diabolical on the weekend and it’s been the same mistakes year after year that have cost us games and will continue to cost us games until we change our culture! We are a mentally week team that has and will always reward mediocrity, we have had a “Near enough is Good enough” culture for far too long and it’s about time we change that culture.

It’s about time this club grew up and started earning respect by getting results on the board. I don’t care how badly, Richmond, Port and Melbourne have been the last 5 to 10 years, we still remain the joke of the competition and every team will continue to have the mindset that we are easy beats. /end rant

Now moving on to our current game plan, I never really rated Harvey as a coach but I could see what he was trying to achieve when he recruited players like Fyfe, Hill, Ballantyne, Morabito, Suban, Walters and Mzungu. Our Game Plan under Ross Lyon is completely CRAP! Harvey was building a list for fast attacking football and recruited players with toe (Hill & Morabito), who can find space (Barlow) and players with good skill.

I believe defence is very important but Ross Lyon’s game plan does not suit our list! Clogging up space, trying to cause turnovers, flooding defence and trying to get teams on the counter-punch is not working and will not work against the top sides! Saint Kilda had the perfect list for our current game plan because they had players who could take those big contested marks on the counter punch; we have a forward line that will only work with quick ball movement.

Some people say our list is a top 4 list while others say it’s overrated, at the moment I’m still on the fence. Going by 2010 / early 2011 I would say our list has great potential and has a heap of current and future A graders but we are still very mentally weak. People say we are slow but when you are chasing tail and getting smashed anyone would look slow. I look at Adelaide’s list and apart from the twin towers up front we have a very similar list. We should be playing like Adelaide and not this crap unattractive defensive style football which basically tells the opposition, “Go on and try and score against us because I bet you can’t”

I’m calling it now and I could well be proved wrong this Sunday but we aren’t winning any of our next 5 games and we wont be playing Finals footy in 2012 which in my eyes would deem our season, “A failure”

Next...

You do realize that the rest of the league run forward and back in waves to defend and hit quickly on the counter-attack don't you? Our players just aren't that good at it yet, well we are good at defending :)

But we don't run in waves at all. All we do is flood the backline and try to cause a turnover. Once we get back possession our players are that knackered the only option up the ground is Pavlich who is always outnumbered 3 - 1. That's why I said our counter-punch style isn't working

I think the frustrating thing is if you compare how we played against Geelong with the weekend. We do have too many players who are hot and cold. You can't afford that if you want to be serious contenders - Winning a Grand Final is about consistency.

We have been running games out well this year but we are still prone to going to sleep for periods as always. It's a mental thing and perhaps we need to start looking past just skills in out recruitment and look more closely at personality.

The tactics we use perhaps are a bit frustrating but it's only because we continually fail to take straight forward opportunities. I am afraid that is just mental weakness.

Jump straight onto the bandwagon across the road than. Jesus. 5 and 3 and first thrashing of the season. I'm sure this week they will turn around and put in a even better performance, otherwise LYon will ask for blood. Besides the game plan isn't that bad given the amount of shots on goals we shank. Accuracy is barely 50% whilst oppositions are more around the 65% mark against us.

andy_20 said:
I am sick and tired of the same mediocre crap being dished up by this club year after year. I’ve had an absolute gutful and I am just about ready to hand back my membership and stop supporting this sorry excuse of a club. When will this club stop “Promising” like they have since 95 and actually start to deliver? I thought after the 2010 season that we were actually finally moving forward but since then we have gone backwards. Every coach we have gone through has all said the same BS but in different words, “We are building to something special, have patience” Well I’ve been patient for 16 years and I’ve just about had enough, I don’t want to be patient anymore, I WANT TO SEE RESULTS NOW! I don’t care how good a side Hawthorn are, we were absolutely diabolical on the weekend and it’s been the same mistakes year after year that have cost us games and will continue to cost us games until we change our culture! We are a mentally week team that has and will always reward mediocrity, we have had a “Near enough is Good enough” culture for far too long and it’s about time we change that culture.

Am I on the Carlton forum? This paragraph almost mirrors what is being said on the Carlton board after yesterday.

I hope that you guys become the team that you're capable of being. I believe that you have a good list. Your season last year was shattered by injuries to key players. Your season this year hasn't fared much better due to Fyfe's (and others) injury.

It almost always is a learning year the first year with a new coach. It's rare to see a team perform as well as what Geelong did last year but they're a special case given the experience of that team. Add in the differences in your game plan, from a fast attacking plan to a much more defensive style, and it is reasonable to expect that the players are still adapting to the new demands placed on them.

One suggestion though is that your home ground advantage is generally due to the wide open spaces demanding a free flowing style of football. This, in my opinion, goes against the style of play demanded by Ross. He prefers a shut it down, lock it in tight, scrap battle.

Personally, I don't believe you're a premiership contender (I also stated Carlton wasn't one a month ago) but I do believe that you're going to develop into one. I'd estimate 2014 as being your big year. Good luck.

Before anyone questions my loyalty to Fremantle Dockers let me just say that I have been a supporter of the club since 95 and a member for the last 11 years. I have sunk thousands of $$$ into this club in the form of membership, purchasing of merchandise and many other things such as club functions etc.. I feel due to being loyal since day 1 my comments below are warranted, some may find them hard to swallow but I feel it needs to be said.

It’s about time this club grew up and started earning respect by getting results on the board. I don’t care how badly, Richmond, Port and Melbourne have been the last 5 to 10 years, we still remain the joke of the competition and every team will continue to have the mindset that we are easy beats. /end rant

Now moving on to our current game plan, I never really rated Harvey as a coach but I could see what he was trying to achieve when he recruited players like Fyfe, Hill, Ballantyne, Morabito, Suban, Walters and Mzungu. Our Game Plan under Ross Lyon is completely CRAP! Harvey was building a list for fast attacking football and recruited players with toe (Hill & Morabito), who can find space (Barlow) and players with good skill.

I believe defence is very important but Ross Lyon’s game plan does not suit our list! Clogging up space, trying to cause turnovers, flooding defence and trying to get teams on the counter-punch is not working and will not work against the top sides! Saint Kilda had the perfect list for our current game plan because they had players who could take those big contested marks on the counter punch; we have a forward line that will only work with quick ball movement.

Some people say our list is a top 4 list while others say it’s overrated, at the moment I’m still on the fence. Going by 2010 / early 2011 I would say our list has great potential and has a heap of current and future A graders but we are still very mentally weak. People say we are slow but when you are chasing tail and getting smashed anyone would look slow. I look at Adelaide’s list and apart from the twin towers up front we have a very similar list. We should be playing like Adelaide and not this crap unattractive defensive style football which basically tells the opposition, “Go on and try and score against us because I bet you can’t”

I’m calling it now and I could well be proved wrong this Sunday but we aren’t winning any of our next 5 games and we wont be playing Finals footy in 2012 which in my eyes would deem our season, “A failure”

Excuse me for interupting but:

Boo ****ing hoo

Try 32 years of s**t and then get back to me sook. :thumbsdown:

Jump straight onto the bandwagon across the road than. Jesus. 5 and 3 and first thrashing of the season.

We may be 5 and 3 mate but how poorly have we played against the weaker clubs. This post is spot on in my view. Im sick of piss weak efforts and excuses form fans and club officials. There never seems to be consequences for poor performances.

Jump straight onto the bandwagon across the road than. Jesus. 5 and 3 and first thrashing of the season. I'm sure this week they will turn around and put in a even better performance, otherwise LYon will ask for blood. Besides the game plan isn't that bad given the amount of shots on goals we shank. Accuracy is barely 50% whilst oppositions are more around the 65% mark against us.

Have you seen our next 5 games? We will be lucky to win one of them. Apart from Geelong game we have been very average this year. Sure inaccuracy has cost us, but bad kicking is bad Footy.

We may play well against average teams but the good coaches have worked us out.

Dunno.

All I got was this:

ChickenLittleWallpaper1024.jpg

The OP is right.

I'm finding Freo to be my second team at the moment, with any team who plays against the eGirls to be my first team for that week :D

Back to reality, Freo has a losers' mentality with mediocrity accepted too often.

I would loooooove to be proven wrong, but I am losing faith:(

Huh? Our players haven't even worked us out yet.

I think the players are more frustrated more than anything. Our game plan is so taxing on the bodies that all the good work we do to create opportunities is wasted if we don't convert properly which causes the heads to drop.

The most frustrated is Pav we aren't moving the ball quick enough and once we are ready to deliver the ball to him, the defenders have already dropped back and he's outnumbered 3-1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wall of text hurts my eyes :cool:

Basically the Dockers always have rewarded mediocrity and no matter who our coach is its always the same crap every year

i'm willing to give Ross Lyon the benefit of the doubt.

I doubt he truly understood the magnitude of the task he took on when he signed his contract. I don't think he could understand until he went into a game, quietly confident his troops were prepared to create an upset, and we got absolutely flogged - the team didn't even give a yelp.

I think this week was the wake up call for Lyon and it will be really, really interesting to see how he responds.

I think the fact that we changed coaches didn't change the fact that our list is pretty bad in 2 areas.

1- Forward Line. We missed out on Mitch Clark abd Jack Anthony has been a disaster.

Pav is a centre half-forward only and Kepler is not a reliable FF.

2- Our midfield. We have ball getters in Barlow and Mundy, but we lack ball carrying players with pace that can break a tackle with a long penetrating kick.

For those saying that we need time to adjust to a new coach with a new game plan, I don't see Adelaide having any problems doing that.

2- Our midfield. We have ball getters in Barlow and Mundy, but we lack ball carrying players with pace that can break a tackle with a long penetrating kick.

We do have Stephen Hill but he does not work hard enough when gets tagged. A lot of people forget we also have Morabito who is quicker more mobile version of Matthew Pavlich. He is coming back from injury but boy will he make a difference when he comes back in the team

We are all pissed off that the same heartless efforts get put in every now and again.
Too early to be giving up though.

They have played 8 games under the new coach, it takes time for coach to teach them what he wants and players to come to grips with it.

Yes there is some worying signs but its still too early.

Lyon loves defense so im sure thats what they worked the most on during presaeason, gettting that sorted was the main priority.
Then worries about attack.

Looks to me the players are thinking too defensively as thats the main thing thats been drilled into them, then they find it hard to attack as there worried about there defensive positioning too much.

Suck it up, you only get to choose your team when your young and only if your Dad lets you. Face it, your stuck with the Dockers so stop bitching internally and start hating externally, it's Derby week.

This is hardly the low point since 95.

I don't think this is the right game plan for these players, but I'm pretty sure it is not a part of Lyon's game plan for the players to play circle work for 3 minutes using handball to see who can put us in deeper s*** then when we started. We have a lot of players who would be ok in a very good side but lack the substance to form the nucleus of a good side. Move them on and recruit and bring in guys with class and substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back