Radio EON:New sports radio station to launch this week

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
My mistake, probably should of qualified it with a "commercial" rights. Is there enough listeners to generate a profit over and above what the costs of the rights are?
Your other post was very long but nice to see you back here again.
EPL might not have been considered a smart move when it was easy to watch on tv but i think alot of people are frustrated and crying out to know whats happening with it not being on Fox anymore.
As to its value I dont know how to answer that but can you tell me what value is there in number of listeners to the interstate AFL games that SEN do that are with two non Vic Clubs or maybe just one of them and the games is live on tv wouldnt that be the same as the EPL in interest numbers?

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
No EPL this weekend on EON and no AFL on SEN hoping a few SEN listeners might have sampled a little EON this weekend just for a change , you never know

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Are Eon going to cover the A League? As in, live? Be interested to know how they're tracking with listeners, haven't seen an ounce of advertising from them (except from Staffi here) and people in the sports industry I've spoken to haven't even heard of them.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Are Eon going to cover the A League? As in, live? Be interested to know how they're tracking with listeners, haven't seen an ounce of advertising from them (except from Staffi here) and people in the sports industry I've spoken to haven't even heard of them.

In fairness to them, I've seen a little bit of advertising on the tv. Couldn't tell you whether it was Fox Sports, ESPN or BeIN sports, but they have been running some tv ads.

During the ICC matches they said they'd be covering A-League, but nothing about whether it's exclusive. I hope not - I love having ABC (and if not ABC, then SEN) on the radio while I'm at the game, but listening to EON on an app that's about 30 seconds behind is useless to me.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
In fairness to them, I've seen a little bit of advertising on the tv. Couldn't tell you whether it was Fox Sports, ESPN or BeIN sports, but they have been running some tv ads.

During the ICC matches they said they'd be covering A-League, but nothing about whether it's exclusive. I hope not - I love having ABC (and if not ABC, then SEN) on the radio while I'm at the game, but listening to EON on an app that's about 30 seconds behind is useless to me.

Not to mention quite a dent in data usage

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool

You know what, I've never considered listening to the radio whilst at the game. I go with a mate but he occasionally doesn't go so listening to the radio would be kind of cool. Cricket is good for it but never tried for "faster" sports. You listen on a digital radio or through mobile app?

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
You know what, I've never considered listening to the radio whilst at the game. I go with a mate but he occasionally doesn't go so listening to the radio would be kind of cool. Cricket is good for it but never tried for "faster" sports. You listen on a digital radio or through mobile app?

You mean for EON? I just listened to the mobile app for the ICC games, which is why there was the ~30 second delay.

It didn't matter for those games - the lead caller didn't know who any of the players were anyway, so they didn't really "commentate" as such, they were really just having a football conversation over the game with Josh Kennedy and Clint Bolton. Given the delay (and given the lead callers abysmal lack of research) I thought this was a good approach, but if you weren't at the ground or watching on tv it would've driven you crazy.

If you're asking about the radio I've taken to A-League games in the past though - just a little battery operated wireless. You can still get decent quality handheld radios (AM+FM) for about 30 bucks.

I'll be shattered if they ever switch analogue radio off like they did with tv :(

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't mind EON sports. Its mot fantastic but its decent. Bianca Chatfield us fantastic. Interviews are good casual chats and not big egos from presenters.

If you have a digital radio in Melbourne its awesome during breakfast. SEN, EON, Tab live grandstand digital and RSN.

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't mind EON sports. Its mot fantastic but its decent. Bianca Chatfield us fantastic. Interviews are good casual chats and not big egos from presenters.

If you have a digital radio in Melbourne its awesome during breakfast. SEN, EON, Tab live grandstand digital and RSN.
I think Bianca sounds pretty fantastic as well and that EON sports is also pretty decent

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Could be an upset happening on EON EPL right now Watford are in front of Man U
Nice Sunday night a drink in one hand and the checking out Big Footy at halftime

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
i've only managed to listen to EON for a little bit but i like what i hear so far.
the presenters are good, they cover a diverse range of sports and best of all, no talkback.

i suppose talkback is a great way to hide the fact that you only have 40 minutes of actual content to fill an entire day but when you're prepared to cover more than one sport its importance diminishes.

...if only i could get it in the car

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
i've only managed to listen to EON for a little bit but i like what i hear so far.
the presenters are good, they cover a diverse range of sports and best of all, no talkback.

i suppose talkback is a great way to hide the fact that you only have 40 minutes of actual content to fill an entire day but when you're prepared to cover more than one sport its importance diminishes.

...if only i could get it in the car

By not allowing talkback creates a lot of padding...and probably a lot of frustrated listeners wanting to have their say.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
By not allowing talkback creates a lot of padding...and probably a lot of frustrated listeners wanting to have their say.
talkback is padding. not having it creates space for proper content...and why should i care what Joe from Watsonia thinks about the Pies performance on the weekend or who Steve from Dandenong reckons is the best #37 ever?

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Pretty gutsy article in the newspaper the other day by EON's very own Bianca on warning the women AFL players not to get taken advantage of when it comes to being paid their worth and just because its an exciting new venture to not undersell yourself.
In a way Bianca could probably see a similarity with EON which is a new exciting venture and many would want to be involved and work for Australias first ever national sports radio network.
But just becuase you want to play footy at the highest level or you want to work in sports radio at the highest level you could easily underbid yourself just to be involved , I think Bianca called it low balling yourself in her article.
I remember years ago reading about SEN and alot of people being taken advantage of working for nothing , actually i just googled it people were being called interns to excuse them from being paid and a producer took them to court .
Me thinks that Bianca would be on the best $ deal at EON after reading her article and I think others at EON probably wished she did the negotiations for their pay deals etc

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder what EON will do next Saturday at 2pm as even I think alot will be tuning elsewhere with a certain big footy match going on at the mcg

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder what EON will do next Saturday at 2pm as even I think alot will be tuning elsewhere with a certain big footy match going on at the mcg

Because they are national, they've still got the NRL Grand Final to talk about. I'm pretty sure the weekend afternoon slots once the weather becomes nice would be a write off in general, so I don't think they will lose any sleep over it.

Overall I've liked what I've heard so far. Because SEN hasn't worked on TuneIn for the last month I've been able to give EON a shot. The hour hand over from the end of the morning show to Dan Lonergan seems a bit awkward and I don't know why Bianca doesn't start til 7am and leaves at 10am, but otherwise weekday programming has been a pleasant surprise.

Because they are national, they've still got the NRL Grand Final to talk about. I'm pretty sure the weekend afternoon slots once the weather becomes nice would be a write off in general, so I don't think they will lose any sleep over it.

Overall I've liked what I've heard so far. Because SEN hasn't worked on TuneIn for the last month I've been able to give EON a shot. The hour hand over from the end of the morning show to Dan Lonergan seems a bit awkward and I don't know why Bianca doesn't start til 7am and leaves at 10am, but otherwise weekday programming has been a pleasant surprise.

try this
http://www.radioapp.com.au/

athol

Draftee
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember years ago reading about SEN and alot of people being taken advantage of working for nothing , actually i just googled it people were being called interns to excuse them from being paid and a producer took them to court .

These were interns being used by Croc Media as producers on overnights (All Night Appetite), these staff we not employed by SEN rather by Croc Media, and it wasn't a lot, more like a handful. Proper research is your friend.

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
These were interns being used by Croc Media as producers on overnights (All Night Appetite), these staff we not employed by SEN rather by Croc Media, and it wasn't a lot, more like a handful. Proper research is your friend.
Athol I can always count on you to put me right.
I have read the article again yes its says Croc media like you say and says things like exploited and grossly underpaid workers , ironic that just over a year later this is the same company that has been trusted with a multi million dollar AFL rights deal .
Yes the article says SEN not at fault but I do ask you would the SEN mgt been totally oblivious to this practice as for months these people were " working' in their studios and going about duties at SEN.. would SEN must have have had the wool pulled over their eyes as I am sure SEN mgt would have stepped in and said hey out of here Croc media no one does anything here at SEN without getting fair payment this is not 7/11.
Lucky though it was just a handful and not alot , as the priest told the inquiry it was only a handful of boys not alot

Athol I can always count on you to put me right.
I have read the article again yes its says Croc media like you say and says things like exploited and grossly underpaid workers , ironic that just over a year later this is the same company that has been trusted with a multi million dollar AFL rights deal .
Yes the article says SEN not at fault but I do ask you would the SEN mgt been totally oblivious to this practice as for months these people were " working' in their studios and going about duties at SEN.. would SEN must have have had the wool pulled over their eyes as I am sure SEN mgt would have stepped in and said hey out of here Croc media no one does anything here at SEN without getting fair payment this is not 7/11.
Lucky though it was just a handful and not alot , as the priest told the inquiry it was only a handful of boys not alot
SEN wouldn't have known anything. They barely have anything to do with overnights at all, it's all through Croc. It just happens to be broadcast on SEN.

Stop trying to drag SEN's name through the mud. It's getting tiring.

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Athol explain to me the name of the show All Night Appetite whats the history of such an unsporting name

Staffi

Debutant
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
SEN wouldn't have known anything. They barely have anything to do with overnights at all, it's all through Croc. It just happens to be broadcast on SEN.

Stop trying to drag SEN's name through the mud. It's getting tiring.
If my handful of posts about SEN are making you tired can i suggest you dont look at a thread here titled 'worst presenters on SEN' as you will be in a coma maybe even steer clear of SEN thread in media forum as there are hundreds of negative posts there.
Just looking out for your health TimTam

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Have EON sports announced what their A-League coverage will comprise of? How many games, just Melbourne teams ect

I think my favourite time on the station are the weekend afternoons. Live updates and multiple sports. I also think Matt Hill & Damian Watson are good broadcasters and seem to not be too AFL centered.

If my handful of posts about SEN are making you tired can i suggest you dont look at a thread here titled 'worst presenters on SEN' as you will be in a coma maybe even steer clear of SEN thread in media forum as there are hundreds of negative posts there.
Just looking out for your health TimTam
It's not the negative posts themselves. It's the constant translucent attempts to try to belittle sen and big up eon. I like both stations, but you're making people dislike eon before giving them a chance with the constant belittling of sen.

Back on track, I agree with Redline on Matt and damo. They're different and cover a wide variety of sports and just seem like a couple of good guys.

Back