Podcast Ep. 5.31 - Robbie The Grayt

Remove this Banner Ad

Podcast Link

Join myself and Rick as we review the win against Collingwood

Pop your questions here and we'll answer them.

Last edited:

Is Jackos and Westys careers at a cross roads?

I honestly can't see Jacko back into that defence. It's working brilliantly without him, the forward line doesn't suit him, and his ruck work isn't AFL standard. Where do you play him? Same with Westy, no position for him anymore and he doesn't offer enough consistently. Thoughts?

Here's a question that stems from Us Against The Rest's question above:

Is our inaccuracy a unique problem or is it a league wide phenomenon that is a result of the highly defensive game plans being played by most teams? (ie High energy requirement = high fatigue when having shots = decreased accuracy)

Is Eddy a chance to play. He has kicked 31 this year already, leading the Farmer medal by 5 yet he can't seem to crack into the team. At 190+cm he is big enough as a second tall option.

What am I missing?

How can we fix our accuracy in front of goal, it's great having the best defense but if we don't make the most of our forward entries it could cost us in a final. Robbie can't kick 5 every week.

There is basically a four-way tie for second place on "goals scored" between Devils (196), Giants (196), us (195), and Cats (193). Crows are first.

Now, 4 of those 5 are on the top-7 of "goal accuracy". Port is 14th.

I can only think that solely the Crows shoot as much we do. If we had an above average accuracy, the 2017 Port would be one for the History books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you only had one choice left in life and had to choose, would you prefer the Scott brothers in their playing careers or in their coaching careers?

No qestions tonight. Come on

Sorry. I forgot the question. We are second in points scored, fourth in goals scored, 1st in points allowed, but 14th in goals accuracy. In "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", Quatermain tells Sawyer that he shoots like an American; i.e., keep shooting in the hope that one will eventually hit the target. Having said that, I ask:

- Do we "shoot like Americans"?

- How are we able to shoot so much?

- Are we forcing our shots, missing easy goals, or a mix of both?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Notice the one thing about the stats macca read out about teams with two or more tall key forwards hitting the scoreboard, they are all teams that have beaten us this year. We play undersized key defenders which is ok against clubs that don't have taller forward options, but we have struggled against those that do.
People forget clurey was the one caught out early in the year getting goals kicked on him, the last few weeks is been hombsch, it's because we are undersized and there will always be a undersized key defender exposed by the better teams. We have to address this if we are to go anywhere in September, either Jacko goes back, our Howard is that man that has to go back and help out, knowing the way we operate im sure nothing will be done about it and it will cost is in September.

Notice the one thing about the stats macca read out about teams with two or more tall key forwards hitting the scoreboard, they are all teams that have beaten us this year. We play undersized key defenders which is ok against clubs that don't have taller forward options, but we have struggled against those that do.
People forget clurey was the one caught out early in the year getting goals kicked on him, the last few weeks is been hombsch, it's because we are undersized and there will always be a undersized key defender exposed by the better teams. We have to address this if we are to go anywhere in September, either Jacko goes back, our Howard is that man that has to go back and help out, knowing the way we operate im sure nothing will be done about it and it will cost is in September.

I'm pretty sure Josh Gibson for the successful Hawks period was their key defender during that period. He too at times occasionally was exposed too. As the side gets better wit hthe defensive structure as a team the less these boys will get exposed!

Patience is a virtue, as the season goes on they will become more resilient. Saying that I'd love Logan Austin in the side because he's cool.

I'm pretty sure Josh Gibson for the successful Hawks period was their key defender during that period. He too at times occasionally was exposed too. As the side gets better wit hthe defensive structure as a team the less these boys will get exposed!

Patience is a virtue, as the season goes on they will become more resilient. Saying that I'd love Logan Austin in the side because he's cool.
They brought in both lake, norm Smith medallist and frawley who totally shut out Kennedy in a gf..

haha we will love the wider spaces of Subiaco oval. Really? Prefer the wider oval of Subiaco?? Really

We are 2-4 at Subi under Ken
Subi fence to fence 191m x 132m boundary to boundary 175m x 120m See Dimensions here

Adelaide Oval fence to fence 183m x 134m boundary to boundary 167m x 124m See Dimensions here

We love the wider open spaces of MCG - we are 5-4 at the MCG under Ken and 1-2 of that is during finals.
MCG fence to fence 173.6m x 148.4m boundary to boundary 160 x 141m See Dimensions here

ground-sizes.jpg

Last edited:
Is Jackos and Westys careers at a cross roads?

I honestly can't see Jacko back into that defence. It's working brilliantly without him, the forward line doesn't suit him, and his ruck work isn't AFL standard. Where do you play him? Same with Westy, no position for him anymore and he doesn't offer enough consistently. Thoughts?

100% agree on Jacko

He's a great club man but I can't see where he slots in other than the man to plug a gap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back