Podcast Ep. 6.06 - The Life Of Brian!

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he know the inspiration or inspirations (if there was more than one) for our AFL nickname, once "Magpies" was definitely out of the table?

Does "Power" have anything to do with our creed or is it simply coincidence ("We... shall strive with all our POWER to further this club's unexcelled achievements.")?

In a moment that the club was being split in two, the link with the creed seems to provide evidence of continuity, doesn't it?

---

Does he believe PAFC to be an odd member within SANFL? And if so, does this has anything to do with the fact that the other AFL club from SA to be a product of the state league?

Could we be SANFL's members in the state level and SANFL's rivals in the national level? In other words, what would be Port's best path in its relationship with SANFL:
- staying;
- moving away; or
- competing against as an independent representative entity of the game in SA — with its own tournaments (youth, women, majors, etc.)?

Last edited:

Port accepted heavy burdens as the club entered the AFL — including splitting the club in two. How were the negotiations?

Why did we feel having no or almost no leverage? What were our expectations? Did we change strategy as the talks went on?

Looking back, was it the possible compromise, could we have got more out of it, or was there a moment we thought it would be even worse?

Last edited:
Yeah he’s generous, I’m not sure how generous, some questions are a duplicate of what I have but others are good, like breaking into cars!

Yeah he’s generous, I’m not sure how generous, some questions are a duplicate of what I have but others are good, like breaking into cars!

If he doesn't remember, I will tell the story. ;)

He was such a clean player. Who was the first player to give him a wack and who was the first player he hit.

What was it like the first time he walked into the club

I'm 10 years too young to remember him, i've seen some highlights of this nippy rover crumbing packs

Bucky and Darrell Cahill were an amazing roving combination. Each lethal around goals, each able to win a ton of the ball and use it impeccably. And yet completely different characters and styles of player.

Actually ask him about DC, I bet he could tell some stories. ;)

It would be interesting to hear about the change from Fos to Jack and what it was like winning the 1977 premiership especially after the disappointment of the 1976 grand final. Bucky was best on in the 1977 grand final.

I remember a game at Prospect, must have been around 1972. Port blitzed North Adelaide that day and kicked 11 goals without a miss. The first player to miss that day - and from a set shot - was Bucky. So out of character, we couldn't believe it. We won by close to 80 points.

The next week we played Centrals and at one stage kicked 1.11. Chocolates and boiled lollies in the space of a week. We still won that game though.

I'm 10 years too young to remember him, i've seen some highlights of this nippy rover crumbing packs

He looked like that pretty little school boy with all the skills that would not go within 20 meters of a contest. However in reality he scrapped as hard as the rest of them. About the most skilful player to play the game except his kicking lacked penetration. One of the very few genuine dual sided players, not only kick with either foot but could bounce the ball with either hand. His partner in crime (Darrell Cahill) lived in his shadow (263 games 375 goals). Bucky had very clean hands, very good mark. He was that clean cut if you hit him I am sure you would have felt guilty.
As a player he did not get the kudos he deserved because he happened to play alongside someone some scrubber who played 391 games for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does he think of our current coach Ken Hinkley?
What does he think about the new recruits?
Who is his favourite current player at Port?
Which Premiership was his favourite?

Rick, you should do one of those 'Say the first thing that comes into your head' quizzes with Bucky and use key words like

Max Basheer
John Cahill
Bruce Weber
Bob McLean
Fos Williams
Dave Granger
Russell Ebert
Mark Williams
Andy Demetriou
Allan Scott

Rick, you should do one of those 'Say the first thing that comes into your head' quizzes with Bucky and use key words like

Max Basheer
John Cahill
Bruce Weber
Bob McLean
Fos Williams
Dave Granger
Russell Ebert
Mark Williams
Andy Demetriou
Allan Scott

I like it

Brian, in your induction speech at the Hall of Fame for Mark Williams you talked a lot about him being a great teaching coach and that is reflected in the 2001-04 squad producing around 15 players who have become either senior AFL coaches, assistant AFL coaches, footy admin roles or senior coaches at state league level.

Do you think Mark should be brought back into the fold of the club or is it just too controversial/difficult? If we receive the funding from our Power Footy programs in China through various corporate sponsorships, and maybe a bit of AFL funding, and we are to put the program through hundreds and then thousands of schools in Shanghai and then expand our wings to other cities, as was proposed by the MJK sponsorship of the club and taking Power Footy programs to Xian, is that an area where the club could or should take advantage of Mark's teaching ability, drive and enthusiasm and love of the game and desire to improve the game?

Would, in your opinion, Mark be more likely to accept a role if it also included an elite academy linked in with educational opportunities whereby 12-15 year olds receive more one on one training and English language and other education opportunities tided in, with the very best individuals once turning 16, able to win scholarships to come to Australia and Alberton for a year or two, to advance both their footy and education, be the sort of thing more likely to entice him to head up this program??? I envisage both boys and girls being eligible as Port eventually will have a women's team and China plays in the International Cup every 3 years and there is both a men's and women's competition.

COME on REH short questions :)

Making them shorter:

Brian, in your induction speech at the Hall of Fame for Mark Williams you talked a lot about him being a great teaching coach... Do you think Mark should be brought back into the fold of the club or is it just too controversial/difficult?

If we receive the funding from our Power Footy programs in China..., is that an area where the club could or should take advantage of Mark's teaching ability, drive and enthusiasm and love of the game and desire to improve the game?

Would, in your opinion, Mark be more likely to accept a role if it also included an elite academy linked in with educational opportunities..., with the very best individuals once turning 16, able to win scholarships to come to Australia and Alberton for a year or two?

I envisage both boys and girls being eligible as Port eventually will have a women's team and China plays in the International Cup every 3 years and there is both a men's and women's competition.

Better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back