Podcast Ep. 7.08 - Richo

Remove this Banner Ad

Not huge in the overall scheme of things, especially in the current climate, but is the club looking at improving the overall quality of the Port Store website? I understand it's difficult due to it being outsourced, but there's constantly issues with stock levels not reflecting that of the physical store, and minor things such as there not being a 'pick up in store' option when ordering from the webite. Also I understand there were issues (pre-coronavirus) with there not being enough prison bar guernseys ordered, and the hilarious 1820 beanie * ups.

Look forward to catching up on this tomorrow.

Edit:
Thinking about that next NTUA did make my eyes water, who is cutting up onions.
This podcast made the threat to our club seem a lot more real, thank you for making me properly appreciate that.
Also - I loved Richo's tone wrt the question of the use of the prison bars jumper.

Last edited:
Look forward to catching up on this tomorrow.

Edit:
Thinking about that next NTUA did make my eyes water, who is cutting up onions.
This podcast made the threat to our club seem a lot more real, thank you for making me properly appreciate that.
Also - I loved Richo's tone wrt the question of the use of the prison bars jumper.

Richo loves the PB‘s, nobody should think otherwise on that!

In relation to um's is it perfect now, but it's just how someone reacts when thinking under pressure. I would say it's a highly critical way of thinking about an individual. Matthew doesn't care and love the club, he has strong knowledge being around for so long. I'm grateful he makes himself accessible to us, when he could quite easily say no.

In relation to um's is it perfect now, but it's just how someone reacts when thinking under pressure. I would say it's a highly critical way of thinking about an individual. Matthew doesn't care and love the club, he has strong knowledge being around for so long. I'm grateful he makes himself accessible to us, when he could quite easily say no.

um's are just a sign there is more T in the ETR

Will listen again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richo's response to the Prison Bars question was encouraging.

I hold out the hope that the PBs will eventually and inevitably form part of our permanent playing strips.

McGuire isn't gonna be around forever.
* Maguire what gives him a right to say what goes.

Yeah well unless you've been living under rock, he's had a say since we've been in the comp.
No haven't been living under a rock granted I was in a coma for 4mths if that counts.
No s**t he has been having it his way but why should he was my comment.

Richo's response to the Prison Bars question was encouraging.

I hold out the hope that the PBs will eventually and inevitably form part of our permanent playing strips.

McGuire isn't gonna be around forever.

PBs = big cash injection from merchandise in any year we make a larger more serious (I.e. more than one game) switch to that guernsey.

Gotta position the PBs to the AFL as a step towards doing everything we can as a club to get more money coming in post Covid-19.

Gotta position the PBs to the AFL as a step towards doing everything we can as a club to get more money coming in post Covid-19.
This.

The AFL will be desperate to do all they can to ensure the financial viability of the clubs. Now is the time to strike.

As if KT won't bottle it though.

Until the club gets a genuine football person as president, one who is prepared to go into bat for the history of the club and not be subservient to Eddie Everywhere, we will only see the PB's occasionally at best.

This.

The AFL will be desperate to do all they can to ensure the financial viability of the clubs. Now is the time to strike.

As if KT won't bottle it though.

Unfortunately you are completely wrong about this (except the KT part).

Despise Eddie all you like (and I do), but he has positioned Collingwood as the AFL'S Team. Nobody gets looked after like they do. NOBODY. The attitude at AFL House is what's good for Collingwood is good for the AFL. I can't be bothered looking it up now but something like 11 of the first 14 or 15 games had Collingwood playing in a STANDALONE prime time spot. As I said nobody gets looked after like they do.

Apart from Eddie's influence, positioning and posturing, the other main reason is they are bankable. As RussellEbertHandball always says "Follow the Money". They pretty much guarantee big crowds, big television audiences and big money into the AFL's coffers. I'll also concede they have been largely highly competitive on field this millennium too. The AFL generates by far and away the most revenue from the Victorian market. The AFL is a Victorian "Company". It has branches in other capitals, but everything is about propagating the big Victorian clubs. As has been said.... Follow the Money.

Compare that to us. A Flaky, debt ridden, small market team who are completely unreliable, contribute bugger all to the AFL's coffers as most of the cash we generate goes to the useless and vindictive middle man (SANFL). Why would the AFL do us any favours over their own lovechild? Their bankable money maker? Especially in a time of financial crisis? Simple answer is the won't. People that think this is a fair and equitable league live in fairy land.

The PAFC as it stands at the moment is not coming from any sort of position of strength. We have no money, the current coaching and playing regime have squadered the last 5 years with averageness and mediocrity, the board has no balls. Until the Club, the coaches, playing group and board get their s**t together and show some steel and determination the AFL will not pay us even lip service. And to use one of RussellEbertHandball's favourite lines again. "Real Power Can't be given, It must be taken". We currently ain't in any position to take s**t.

Compare that to us. A Flaky, debt ridden, small market team ...
That's kind of my point. The flaky, debt ridden teams are the ones most likely to sink the AFL as the economy continues to melt down. If they want to help keep clubs afloat we should push the argument that wearing the prison bars on a more regular basis will help fill the coffers at no monetary cost to the AFL. Sure, there will be a relationship issue with Collingwood to manage, but does anyone seriously believe Collingwood will lose one cent if we wear the prison bars say 3-4 times a year? If you were really following the money the AFL would be in an overall better position by letting us wear them.

That's kind of my point. The flaky, debt ridden teams are the ones most likely to sink the AFL as the economy continues to melt down. If they want to help keep clubs afloat we should push the argument that wearing the prison bars on a more regular basis will help fill the coffers at no monetary cost to the AFL. Sure, there will be a relationship issue with Collingwood to manage, but does anyone seriously believe Collingwood will lose one cent if we wear the prison bars say 3-4 times a year? If you were really following the money the AFL would be in an overall better position by letting us wear them.
I agree with you, but Papa G is right that Collingwood's financial strength has kept the AFL under check for years.

That's why we have to strike hard post Covid-19 recovery and use the $$$ argument on the AFL. Collingwood aren't losing any, we can make plenty, AFL you don't have to draw down on your loan to help us as much.

It's why we have to come at this from many angles. Almost embarrass the AFL and tell them to grow a set and tell Eddie to stop whinging for a few years whilst Port and all clubs have to find new ways to support themselves.

It's Time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back