Podcast Ep 7.1 Monday 8pm The EPIC review, Crazy Big Al then Janus

Remove this Banner Ad

GremioPower
Can anyone explain what constitutes "holding the ball", "prior opportunity", "push in the back", etc.?

Holding the ball and prior opportunity are the same thing - it means you had the opportunity to legally dispose of the ball by executing a proper kick or handpass and didn't. Sometimes in this instance, a player will illegally dispose of the ball by dropping it - this is 'incorrect disposal'. However, if there is congestion around the ball, umpires will let players get away with dropping the ball because they consider it to be a product of pressure.

Push in the back is exactly what it implies - it means that the infringing player has illegally moved the player in the contest by pushing their back, which messes up their centre of gravity and allows the offender to take an uncontested mark.

It's funny how an outsider¹ can pick up the umpiring inconsistencies regarding HTB vs ITB.

Saturday's game had a few perfect examples of players being tackled from behind and in some instances was holding the ball, in others was considered a push in the back.

This is something I've always struggled to comprehend.

I can only assume the position of the umpires might explain the discrepancies. Or if I want to put on my tealfoil hat, it's a push when the Port player is the tackler, HTB when he's the tacklee².

¹ with all due respect to GremioPower
² this isn't a real word

Can't believe rick continues to dis the Hoff. We can all be wrong at times, just accept that and move on mate.

How did I did him? I said he is current in the form of his life, which he is. I refuse to accept like some here he’s always been super, there’s been long patches where he’s been average

Just listened to the podcast. Great breakdown of the changes to the game-plan. Just a few comments. Willem Drew and Atley were a great midfield partners when they were fit. We should all look forward to Atley when he is up and running. He will be the second cumming of josh Francou. Has the same side step and is an instinctive ball winner. When they got injured the league club took a backwards step.

Another thing is that it is great to have a midfield coach who was smart, played with the likes of Francou, Roger James, Brayden Lyle, Peter Burgoyne and Adam Kingsley. The reason why so many people loved Mark Williams was that he was into tactics and coaching. Schofield was part of our premiership midfield that was always competitive year in and year out. Thank goodness we have a midfield coach who can coach. Voss was part of the Leigh Matthews era. Leigh ended up a dinosaur late in his career. It takes a lot more than making people tough and bullying to win in the center. The biggest test for us will be Essendon. Their game-style bothered us of late. The way we play should definitely address that. I look forward to meeting them again.

Finally, I think that Schofield should be our next coach.We need a succession plan and continue building our coaching staff. If I am right, I think the mix we have now is pretty good. Basset is still a good defensive coach but he would be learning a lot more now that he is part of this change. I think Chad would have learned a lot from his time as an AFL player. I am just not sure he was as switched on early in his career as Schofield. I would have loved roger James to coach or perhaps we can get Shaun over when he retires.

This is not a call to sack Hinkley. Apparently he has a wealth of knowledge and he would be invigorated by what he sees and would have had a lot of input. If he was sacked we would just be gifting St. Kilda with their new coach which could bite us on the bum considering how close Hinkley is with players. We should never forget about Hinkley's ability to create cohesion in a group and make people bleed for the club.

Great Podcast. I am still listening to it while I am doing my work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back