2nds EP withdraw from agreement with West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills

I think it's great. 10 team comp with no byes. Some AFL clubs have their reserves named after them others don't. I don't think we need to change our partnership with Peel other than it's a bloody long drive when they play at Rushton.

I wonder how peel/freo alliance will react.
I wonder what this will mean for the WAFL Reserves and colts competitions.
I like the idea of a national Reserve comp and national under 19s comp.
I would like to see WAFL reserves discarded, and the amateur comp feed into the WAFL.

I am in awe of the US college system, think we need to revamp our second tier competition.

Fremantle has a sole focus to win premierships, not support the WAFL.

We need a standalone team as well. We need 100% control of the WAFL club to ensure the best outcome for the Fremantle AFL team.

Unfortunately this will not please the WAFL or it’s supporters but If any advantage is to come from Eagles having a reserve team we need to be at that level also

I wonder what this will mean for the WAFL Reserves and colts competitions.
I like the idea of a national Reserve comp and national under 19s comp.
I would like to see WAFL reserves discarded, and the amateur comp feed into the WAFL.

I am in awe of the US college system, think we need to revamp our second tier competition.
Agree.

From this a genuine State of Origin could develop using second tier players, giving the young guys a chance to showcase their skill.

Need a standalone reserved team, simple as that. Yes it has been great with Peel, they've gotten stronger and passionate. But ultimately it's focusing on what needs to happen for us to be a successful side. Standalone club is coming, and perhaps with WCE making this decision that by 2021 Freo will make the same. It's inevitable.

This does not surprise me in the slightest. As a regular at the WAFL, I've been hearing for a while now that East Perth were not happy with the alignment and were considering backing out of the deal. I'm surprised they have announced it now instead of waiting until the end of the season.

If you read the article it says:

“Feedback from both Fremantle Football Club and Peel Thunder Football Club is that the partnership model is serving both parties well and they would be keen to participate in any high level reviews of the competition."

It would be safe to assume we will at least see out our contract with Peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only real downside with the matchup with Peel is playing all the way in Mandurah, they always let us play our players and Shepeard seems to play them where Freo want them, Peel will fail again without us so its a win/win.

Even with our own team we don't have a ground to play at now since moving to Cockburn

Would be interesting if WC have their own reserves side and there are 10 WAFL teams. I would be curious on their top up players.

Considering each AFL club has 43 players on the list. 22 play in the seniors. 21 play in the WAFL. What happens if they get injuries? Do they Fill up with amateur players?

We too need a standalone team.

Driving to Mandurah is a ball ache. Would be a detractor for young talent looking to move here in a draft.

Open your eyes.

A drive from Cockburn to Rushton Park or Joondalup, aint much different in drive time. There are lots of people living in our southern & northern corridors.

The Eagles alliance with the Royals has been crumbling for a long time, the Royals were in reverse gear along time ago, …………….. after they realised they couldn't snag a premiership.

The alliance for Freo with Peel is going ok, it is very positive for the Peel Region.

Quite like the Peel alignment.

I wonder if it serves our players better having a competitive side each week and playing finals rather than whatever neutered team will be assembled as a standalone.

I'm not 100% for it. The wafl talent is already thin with 9 clubs. East Perth will require an influx of players and WC will need players to make up the numbers and maybe a colts squad.

Quite like the Peel alignment.

I wonder if it serves our players better having a competitive side each week and playing finals rather than whatever neutered team will be assembled as a standalone.

If the game against the West Coast WAFL team doesn't count for points for the WAFL teams would they bother fielding a team of quality, or treat it as their bye?

It could get very interesting for WCE if the system isn't worked out properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back