News Epic Barrett smack down of Ricciuto

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the 3 coaches votes were from an envious Nicks whose centre square midfielders have been cut up 3 games in a row?

If I was faced with the prospect of having to defend myself and my team's poor performances to the board I'd be looking for justifiable reasons

The previous regime has gutted us...

I wonder if the 3 coaches votes were from an envious Nicks whose centre square midfielders have been cut up 3 games in a row?

If I was faced with the prospect of having to defend myself and my team's poor performances to the board I'd be looking for justifiable reasons

Listening to Nicks on 3AW, I think he's starting to understand how mentally gone some of the senior players are. He still thinks he can fix it, but I have my doubt anyone coming in to the club can undo it. It's a complete fresh start at a new club needed, not just a new coach

Listening to Nicks on 3AW, I think he's starting to understand how mentally gone some of the senior players are. He still thinks he can fix it, but I have my doubt anyone coming in to the club can undo it. It's a complete fresh start at a new club needed, not just a new coach
I remember speaking to a Geelong player who was there during their run of premierships. He highlighted three players who he described as the 'cultural architects' - Matthew Scarlett, Cameron Mooney and Max Rooke.

They weren't captains or anything at the time, though Scarlett maybe was in the leadership group. Not the best players.

But they were the actual leaders. The ones who influenced the group, drove team first behaviours, recognised when things dropped off, nailed blokes when they stepped out of line or were slacking on the track. Were vocal, lifted energy when required. Made sure that players were adhering to the coaches' instructions and the game plan. Swagger and attitude on field. Never went into their shell.

Not sure we have those with that strength of character now...?

Daniel Jackson's (unenvious) role isn't so much to set about driving culture himself and becoming the face of anything, but about identifying who are those people within the organisation who have the character to drive the group on and off the field. Then empower and up-skill those people

I remember speaking to a Geelong player who was there during their run of premierships. He highlighted three players who he described as the 'cultural architects' - Matthew Scarlett, Cameron Mooney and Max Rooke.

They weren't captains or anything at the time, though Scarlett maybe was in the leadership group. Not the best players.

But they were the actual leaders. The ones who influenced the group, drove team first behaviours, recognised when things dropped off, nailed blokes when they stepped out of line or were slacking on the track. Were vocal, lifted energy when required. Made sure that players were adhering to the coaches' instructions and the game plan. Swagger and attitude on field. Never went into their shell.

Daniel Jackson's (unenvious) role isn't so much to set about driving culture himself and becoming the face of anything, but about identifying who are those people within the organisation who have the character to drive the group on and off the field. Then empower and up-skill those people

Everyone I know who has meant Daniel says he is a great fella but the poor bloke is beaten even before he begins with an administration like ours.
He can drive a better culture among the group but when you have the heads above him holding him down he doesn't have a chance.

Everyone I know who has meant Daniel says he is a great fella but the poor bloke is beaten even before he begins with an administration like ours.
He can drive a better culture among the group but when you have the heads above him holding him down he doesn't have a chance.
He basically has to look at Milera and Doedee and the group younger than them and start with them.
Just get them together and work with them on Club direction. Get them to own the club, make the demands and hold others to account. There simply aren't the leaders in the older group to do it (they are either quiet, cooked or selfish).

Hopefully, it will find some quality and determined leaders. It will create ownership of the club and team culture in this group and, as a by-product, make them want to stay.

One of the big issues in the past, and this has been an issue since Roo was a player, is that at the Crows, there is the 'in' group of senior players and then the rest. If you are younger, then you need to do your time before you become part of the 'in' group. Then when you are older, you keep the new younger kids out. It's a horrendous cycle, that keeps younger guys disconnected from the club and playing group. Is it any wonder they are happy to leave then?

Really hoping Daniel can change that.

Talia and maybe Sloane at the most i'm guessing. I think Doods can be, but he's young and it's a lot to ask of him currently.

Yeah true

If I were him I'd start with the bottom up rather than top down approach

The problem with organisations that get into this sort of situation is they tend not to recruit people who have such character.

I reckon there are a couple who could grow into being this type, in Doedee and McHenry. That said, probably the only one of our experienced group is Talia.

Also Kelly might end up finding a niche in being that person.

Barely an admirable physical specimen among them.

Some boys grow into men and others... well don't. We keep drafting forever boys like Jones and McHenry. Obviously Mackay being an extreme example.

And before it's posted yes these sorts of players can hit the gym and put on size but they will always get beasted by real men.

It would be nice to use a first rounder on a man for a change...

Some boys grow into men and others... well don't. We keep drafting forever boys like Jones and McHenry. Obviously Mackay being an extreme example.

And before it's posted yes these sorts of players can hit the gym and put on size but they will always get beasted by real men.

It would be nice to use a first rounder on a man for a change...
Correct. Our policy of recruiting lovely boys has never really changed since the blonde tip days of Reilly, VB, Bernie, etc.

Need to get Shannon Hurn back home to set us up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confident we had it - and then destroyed it after the 2017GF.

No doubt in my mind that the actions of the admin ripped the heart and soul out of the team.

No doubt in my mind that the actions of the admin ripped the heart and soul out of the team.
Agreed. Rather than taking any blame for their part in the GF loss, the admin decided to psychologically punish the players. Shameful chapter in the club's history and destroyed any spirit that the team may of have. The comments in the thread about there being an in crowd seems pretty accurate. Unfortunately I think we are in for some extended pain.

To be fair to your senior players, Geelong were a well run club during that period and still today...very stable and competent people in the top positions like Brian Cook.

Adelaide's players showed immense mental resolve to reach a GF after Walsh's death. Things went downhill after that due to numerous factors, mostly stemming from Ricciuto who joined the board a few years prior...the camp and Burton's implementation of KangaTech would appear to be huge detriments along with other things. Some poor list management decisions, potting of ex-players and an apparently 'unwelcoming' club culture a few other issues raised.

For example. Sloane was a dependable 'follow me' workhorse warrior and a star of the entire competition..but when you see even a guy like him look a shadow of his former self, it points to a problem higher up. Especially when so many players are in the same boat. Similar thing happened to Cripps last year in the last few weeks before Bolton was sacked...we all know what a competitive beast he is, but even he put in lackluster performances for weeks and in Bolton's final game was smashed by Essendon's Dylan Clarke in only his 2nd or 3rd game.

I compare it to a standout employee at any company where the management starts to make poor decisions and foster a poor culture...even the most motivated and hardest working employees will drop their output level in that kind of environment.

I don't think any of those Geelong player's 'strength of character' is any better than Sloane's...they just were never put in such a poor environment.

To be fair to your senior players, Geelong were a well run club during that period and still today...very stable and competent people in the top positions like Brian Cook.

Adelaide's players showed immense mental resolve to reach a GF after Walsh's death. Things went downhill after that due to numerous factors, mostly stemming from Ricciuto who joined the board a few years prior...the camp and Burton's implementation of KangaTech would appear to be huge detriments along with other things. Some poor list management decisions, potting of ex-players and an apparently 'unwelcoming' club culture a few other issues raised.

For example. Sloane was a dependable 'follow me' workhorse warrior and a star of the entire competition..but when you see even a guy like him look a shadow of his former self, it points to a problem higher up. Especially when so many players are in the same boat. Similar thing happened to Cripps last year in the last few weeks before Bolton was sacked...we all know what a competitive beast he is, but even he put in lackluster performances for weeks and in Bolton's final game was smashed by Essendon's Dylan Clarke in only his 2nd or 3rd game.

I compare it to a standout employee at any company where the management starts to make poor decisions and foster a poor culture...even the most motivated and hardest working employees will drop their output level in that kind of environment.

I don't think any of those Geelong player's 'strength of character' is any better than Sloane's...they just were never put in such a poor environment.
Before that Geelong weren't anything special though which is the point I guess. How did they get there? How did they create what they ended up becoming?

Sloane is great and a courageous player and everything but does he significantly influence the behaviour of others?

Before that Geelong weren't anything special though which is the point I guess. How did they get there? How did they create what they ended up becoming?

Sloane is great and a courageous player and everything but does he significantly influence the behaviour of others?

We'll never know for sure but a club is much more than just one player...success and a good culture comes from a well run club with a good ceo, president, footy director, coach and captain. One can't do it on their own.

I reckon you could put Joel selwood or Luke hodge in Sloanes place and they would still struggle given whats going on around them.

The Admin should have been brutal at list management after that GF and showed some balls.

It is rewriting history to suggest our players weren't completely found out to be soft, mentally weak front runners on GF day.

Rather than a camp, there should have been delsitings and trades. That was the problem, that is the most damning thing about our club.

When hard calls needed to be made, we blinked.

I reckon there are a couple who could grow into being this type, in Doedee and McHenry. That said, probably the only one of our experienced group is Talia.

Also Kelly might end up finding a niche in being that person.
If Schoenberg proves to be physically strong and does have the skills then he is the type of player that others would follow. For me he could be our Rowell

Fixing the Crows' culture in 2020 is like trying to rebuild the Hindenburg in 1938. If you look long and hard enough you might find some charred remnants here or there but even if they're not damaged they're not enough to rebuild from. You're better off just building a whole new zeppelin.

It was decided well before Pyke even walked. They decided he was only gonna get a 2 year offer at best, Hugh got a better one and moved. Same with Keath.

3 years for Hugh is 1 too many, so basically 1 less than our normal over-contracting practices. ******* Mackay got an extra year, 100% guaranteed waste. But we can't risk a possible wasted year on a good footballer. We over-contract on mediocre spuds all the time. Anyway, it's in the book now.

Doubtful. More likely from the coach who understands his role and value to the team. I'm not sure that's Nicks quite yet.

The Admin should have been brutal at list management after that GF and showed some balls.

It is rewriting history to suggest our players weren't completely found out to be soft, mentally weak front runners on GF day.

Rather than a camp, there should have been delsitings and trades. That was the problem, that is the most damning thing about our club.

I agree with you to an extent, but I also think we botched the preparation, selection and game plan - that’s why we fell apart.

Also can’t believe we didn’t and don’t have a proper psychologist as a full time employee.

You don't make a grand final if you are a mentally weak side. We were an also ran quality* in a league full of also rans. Someone just had to win it.

That grand final loss really comes down to us being unduly arrogant, and some bad luck. We'll cover the bad luck first which was by the end of the first quarter we had lost the two catalysts for our spike in form in the back end of 2017 in McGovern and Greenwood to injury (both structural pieces, but two players who really did make others better by being able to cover weaknesses). Greenwood is just s**t luck, McGovern is rather unforgivable because we had time to realise that oh s**t, we need a small, not Otten. So the lack of a plan B really hurt us. Not only that but we had played right into a high pressure side hands by selecting a slow side. The unfortunate issue with having finals is luck can end up playing a rather key role in deciding who was the best, but I fully accept we deserved that occurring.

What needed to happen was some accountability with coaches and then the rest was show faith in the players, refresh and put it behind you quickly. You do not scapegoat.

Still the margins of any sport are fine enough that if we kicked 6.1 instead of 4.3 in the first quarter, we probably end up with a premiership just by it putting Richmond on the ropes against the 2nd most potent attack that has existed in the AFL era.

Though we have probably ended up being a cautionary tale that there is nothing to be gained by revisiting a lost grand final, if anything.

* obligatory ******* draft sanctions. * Trigg and Chapman for costing us a dynasty.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back