EPL Clubs Falling Behind Elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Seen a gradual decline with the top EPL clubs over the last 2 seasons. Real/Barca/Athletico/Bayern/Juve/PSG consistently outperform EPL clubs in Europe and Other Italian clubs are expected to improve this season.

SAF leaving United has had a massive impact on them, City and CFC seem to struggle when it comes to performing against the top European clubs while Arsenal seem to have stagnated, LFC and Spurs are just plain hopeless.

Given the amount of money these clubs get why are they not performing, is it the lack of top managers or wasted resources?

Lets have a nice debate :)

Juve consistently
2013-14: Juve out in Group stage. Chelsea make semis. United quarters. City and Arsenal R16.

2012-13: They did.

2011-12: Juve DNP. Chelsea win. Arsenal R16.

2010-11: Juve DNP. United final. Spurs, Chelsea quarters. Arsenal R16.

2009-10: Juve out in groups. Arsneal, United quarters. Chelsea R16.

2/6 is not "consistently".

PL is going through transition.

United is still buiding in the post saf era and LVG has been hired to bring the club to a higher standard
City are still trying to find their feet
Jose seems a bit demoviated at chesea (I think he is still jaded from Madrid, Missing out on united job and he lacks an enemy to fight)
Arsenal is arsenal

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Italian football has fallen well behind Germany, Spain & England. Juve the exception as they've continued to improve. Outside of Bayern & Dortmund would any of the other German sides be considered equal to the top 4 in England? Same to in France. The quality really drops off fast as the big boys cherry pick their weaker rivals who can't match them financially due to the dodgy tv deals

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
2013-14: Juve out in Group stage. Chelsea make semis. United quarters. City and Arsenal R16.

2012-13: They did.

2011-12: Juve DNP. Chelsea win. Arsenal R16.

2010-11: Juve DNP. United final. Spurs, Chelsea quarters. Arsenal R16.

2009-10: Juve out in groups. Arsneal, United quarters. Chelsea R16.

2/6 is not "consistently".
you missed 14-15?
also pretty poor post trying to dismiss the overall issue.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Italian football has fallen well behind Germany, Spain & England. Juve the exception as they've continued to improve. Outside of Bayern & Dortmund would any of the other German sides be considered equal to the top 4 in England? Same to in France. The quality really drops off fast as the big boys cherry pick their weaker rivals who can't match them financially due to the dodgy tv deals
id back top 3-4 of the italian and german teams to overcome the top 3-4 epl teams, italian football will improve a lot this season.

Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Al-Nassr FC
English clubs aren't under pressure to be very good, in EU comps they're just happy to be there. As long as the owners get EPL tv rights and CL revenue they're happy. You see all the time in England clubs not firing managers for going trophyless as long as they secure top 4.

This leads to top players seeking more ambitious clubs like Real / barca.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
barca, real and bayern are the only elite clubs in europe.

they have the best players in the world, playing the best football with the best systems in place that descend down from decades of winning. lets not forget that barca and real in particular are spending 80-100 mil on players (suarez/neymar, bale/ronaldo). they still bring in more revenue than english clubs, they're more attractive places to live, and have the historic factor behind them.

it also goes in peaks and troughs. english clubs will get back there, but from our perspective, continually getting bayern/barca over and over while making naive mistake that the barca's and real's dont make have hurt us.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Im pretty happy with how Chelsea has been tracking in Europe over the last decade, made a couple of finals(and won it once) and consistently going deep.

It not an easy comp to win with even Real only getting a solitary win in the last 14 season.

All the different leagues will fluctuate at different times so it seems a bit knee jerk myself.

this is the only place in the entire world where i've read "Italian clubs are expected to improve this season".. I wonder what makes her think that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Borderline

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Football is a joke now, I know it's always been about the money but this season it's gone to another level. It's only going to get worse when the new TV deal kicks in too. The PL will have all the best players outside of Barca/Bayern/Real and a handful of others. Money has killed the game

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
id back top 3-4 of the italian and german teams to overcome the top 3-4 epl teams, italian football will improve a lot this season.
I've heard it all now. Lazio and Fiorentina wouldn't get close to to the top 4 in England. Both Milan sides are a sad state of affairs. Yes Fiornetina knocked us out over 2 legs about 60 hours before we had a cup final but they really aren't much chop at all

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Im mainly talking about the last couple of season not the last decade.
Given the money in the EPL there really shouldnt be a 'drop' in the level of epl teams but they do seem to waste a lot of their resources.

this is the only place in the entire world where i've read "Italian clubs are expected to improve this season".. I wonder what makes her think that
Unlike most on here i follow italian football and the top clubs have recruited very well.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Given the money in the EPL there really shouldnt be a 'drop' in the level of epl teams
The money in England is filtered through to all clubs pretty evenly and even through to the relegated clubs through the parachute payments. That's why the overall quality is quite even and sides like Stoke and Palace can afford to get guys like Shaqiri and Cabaye. That's just not possible for the likes of Bologna or Empoli

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
I've heard it all now. Lazio and Fiorentina wouldn't get close to to the top 4 in England. Both Milan sides are a sad state of affairs. Yes Fiornetina knocked us out over 2 legs about 60 hours before we had a cup final but they really aren't much chop at all

How many Lazio games have you seen in the past 12 months?

1?

How many Fiorentina games have you seen in the past 12 months?

2?

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
How many Lazio games have you seen in the past 12 months?

1?

How many Fiorentina games have you seen in the past 12 months?

2?
I followed Roma's season pretty closely last year and would watch the odd game not including them if it was on BT Sports. They were Spurs/Liverpool level at best. Falls away very badly from about there down

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
Football is a joke now, I know it's always been about the money but this season it's gone to another level. It's only going to get worse when the new TV deal kicks in too. The PL will have all the best players outside of Barca/Bayern/Real and a handful of others. Money has killed the game

Which is why I prefer watching the underdogs in England and watching the other European leagues.

I don't have anything against individual supporters of the Sky 3 (United/City/Chelsea), it is just that they win games by weakening their opponents when buying their best players, some of whom sit on the bench. This also applies for Bayern, Real and Barca.

It is not even the clubs' fault, it is UEFA's fault for permitting it.

"Champions" League where a team that is not a Champion of a league can become European Champions is a farce.

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
I followed Roma's season pretty closely last year and would watch the odd game not including them if it was on BT Sports. They were Spurs/Liverpool level at best. Falls away very badly from about there down

Roma started like a house on fire then shat themselves. They always s**t themselves in Europe. No one is at Juve's level but I'd be confident of Lazio or Fiorentina getting a result (competing) against Man Utd or Arsenal (not Chelsea/Man City)

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I don't have anything against individual supporters of the Sky 3 (United/City/Chelsea), it is just that they win games by weakening their opponents when buying their best players, some of whom sit on the bench. This also applies for Bayern, Real and Barca.
Juve didn't do this buying Dyabla and Zaza?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back