EPL Clubs Falling Behind Elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah maybe them also, but they have history in not going deep, whereas the other two at least do, City has only reached a semi final once also I think, so they've still got a bit to prove also

A declining Real Madrid side presented a massive opportunity for someone to step up to the plate and only Liverpool, Spurs and Ajax have for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah maybe them also, but they have history in not going deep, whereas the other two at least do, City has only reached a semi final once also I think, so they've still got a bit to prove also

A declining Real Madrid side presented a massive opportunity for someone to step up to the plate and only Liverpool, Spurs and Ajax have for mine
Forget that history bit at the start. They’ve set themselves for this. Neymar and Mbappe in and they still can’t get close to it.
A reject they cast aside because he was surplus with those two guys has just scored a hat trick to fire his new club into the final.

It’s PSG.

Yeah I’m still of the opinion that City are the best team in the world

Barca and Real... Real could have wiped the floor with Ajax if they had the right attitude going into that game and Barca has the best squad on paper and blew a yet another one
Not Real for me

Lost their best player and their league form has plummeted also

Points to a decline for mine

I don't support most English sides because this dominance was to be expected for a long time already, and I don't think it's good for the club game in general. Other than our teams doing well (for me those are Belgian and Dutch clubs, while for many of you those would be English clubs, given the Australian connection with England), I guess most of us want what we're used to or what we grew up with. If it was up to me, we'd go back to the pre-Bosman times with maximum 3 foreigners per team and much more balance in European tournaments.

Saying that, the PL is my favourite league too and I watch more of it than all other leagues combined, but having this one global league overshadowing all others comes at a cost for other areas in the game. This morning's EL semi final had one team with an average player salary of 750k euro and another team with 18 or so players who earn more than 5m. Nothing against Chelsea here, but I don't see much to celebrate in them beating Frankfurt. Or Spurs beating an Ajax that will likely lose 4-5 of its best players in the next few months.

The only option left now for the other European giants is to form that super league.

I don't support most English sides because this dominance was to be expected for a long time already, and I don't think it's good for the club game in general. Other than our teams doing well (for me those are Belgian and Dutch clubs, while for many of you those would be English clubs, given the Australian connection with England), I guess most of us want what we're used to or what we grew up with. If it was up to me, we'd go back to the pre-Bosman times with maximum 3 foreigners per team and much more balance in European tournaments.

Saying that, the PL is my favourite league too and I watch more of it than all other leagues combined, but having this one global league overshadowing all others comes at a cost for other areas in the game. This morning's EL semi final had one team with an average player salary of 750k euro and another team with 18 or so players who earn more than 5m. Nothing against Chelsea here, but I don't see much to celebrate in them beating Frankfurt. Or Spurs beating an Ajax that will likely lose 4-5 of its best players in the next few months.

The only option left now for the other European giants is to form that super league.
The English language has a mass impact on all things English really, as it is by far the most spoken second language. The style of football is generally accepted as more appealing to other leagues, although fans of La Liga and the Bundesliga may refute that. I think the Australian connection is obvious, but that applies less to its popularity in Asia and Africa

Isn’t it time FAITH was brought back by the way? I miss threads like this

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back