EPL Matchday 1

Get out of the kitchen. Sanity? lel. Sorry I don't conform to your opinion.
Kitchen?

I love your fallback is always "yeah well its just my opinion man". Then stop claiming it's facts.

moomba not sure if you could see on the broadcast but a change from last season is that the single tier stand now has railing and safe seats.
That whole end were on their feet all game.

Not sure why there's been so much resistance to allowing it.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Kitchen?

I love your fallback is always "yeah well its just my opinion man". Then stop claiming it's facts.
I never claimed any fact other than you can listen to the interview Poch gave after the game on SkySports. He wasn't rested, he was just not picked.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Good first half from Everton but overall expected better from them. Palace had the better of the second.

Disjointed pre season for us - 3 players away at African Nations Cup and all went deep into that tournament. 3 players brought in over last 2 days of the transfer window, all the coverage of Wilf's transfer and both our first choice central defenders not fit - Sakho and Tomkins so happy with 0-0.

Hoping a rusty Wilf could have pinched a winner against his suitor but wasnt to be. Only came on after the hour so we'll get better.

Palace never seem to be ready to go on MD1 which is frustrating.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Points from last nights game (no order)
1. Villa desperately unlucky not to be 3-0 up at half time. Tottenham with no answers or clues against villas dynamic counter attack
2. The referee might as well have worn his spurs shirt to save the trouble
3. Villa tired in second half. Players not used to pl pace. Understandable and expected.
4. Beaten by a deflected goal and then a pinball which bounced off 40 villa players into the path of Kane. Wont be that unlucky all season.
5. Proud of the performance - when we are at full strength we take one of those other first half chances and are fit enough to counter in the second half

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On Vertonghen being dropped, I think there’s a problem there after listening to Poch’s interview after the game.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Interesting - just watching a post game between Spurs and Villa - Van der Vaart can't understand why Maguire was 80m, he said he was working for Dutch TV at the nations league and Maguire was England's worst. Lel.. can't wait for tonight already. Cmon Chelsea.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is he past his best now? I reckon Sanchez / Toby your #1 CB combo now.
I dunno about Sánchez, quite a few errors still in him. But Verts is on the decline now, although he’s still pretty decent. Our defence will need rebuilding after this season I reckon, it’s not what it was a couple of seasons ago

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Can't decide what game to watch tonight. Leicester v Wolves could well be a genuine humdinger, but I think the Newcastle-Arsenal game has some lol potential looking at the team Arsenal put out.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I dunno about Sánchez, quite a few errors still in him. But Verts is on the decline now, although he’s still pretty decent. Our defence will need rebuilding after this season I reckon, it’s not what it was a couple of seasons ago

Are both Toby & Vert out of contract at the end of the season? Not ideal if that is the case. You've splashed the cash this summer - would Levy do the same again on 2 CB's next year?

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
On Vertonghen being dropped, I think there’s a problem there after listening to Poch’s interview after the game.
It was interesting that he said players have to show that they deserve it by working hard and that. Knowing that Pochettino and his assistants are meticulous to the point of being obsessive over players' GPS data at training, my guess is that Vertonghen has had a poor pre-season on the track and this is a message that just because he's a senior player who's been here a long time, he can't coast along.

There seems to be a genuine change of mentality among Pochettino and co this season. I found it fascinating that he outright said that he's not satisfied with top 4 anymore and that along won't be a successful season.

Oh, Zidane98 not past his best at all. He was clearly our best defender last season imo and probably was the season before too.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are both Toby & Vert out of contract at the end of the season? Not ideal if that is the case. You've splashed the cash this summer - would Levy do the same again on 2 CB's next year?
Who knows how much we have in the coffers but I’d expect cash available again. There’s quite a few players who have expressed a desire to leave - Aurier, Rose, Eriksen and perhaps Vertonhen and Alderweireld, so that money would be reinvested plus what else we have on top of that. Lot of us thought the rebuild would come this summer but it didn’t really materialise. I think it’s better to do it gradually anyway as it keeps more continuity

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was interesting that he said players have to show that they deserve it by working hard and that. Knowing that Pochettino and his assistants are meticulous to the point of being obsessive over players' GPS data at training, my guess is that Vertonghen has had a poor pre-season on the track and this is a message that just because he's a senior player who's been here a long time, he can't coast along.

There seems to be a genuine change of mentality among Pochettino and co this season. I found it fascinating that he outright said that he's not satisfied with top 4 anymore and that along won't be a successful season.

Oh, Zidane98 not past his best at all. He was clearly our best defender last season imo and probably was the season before too.
Saying Verts was our best CD last season is factually correct, but I still see a slight decline. Maybe it was because the midfield wasn’t functioning as well last season which left the defence more exposed, but I still think at his age his best years are behind him. He is still more than capable of doing a good job but I think he will be used slightly more sparingly now. He may struggle to play twice a week for example.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Incredible comment on the BBC feed- "As a Newcastle fan I’m happy to see Benitez go. No ambition whatsoever and his constant refusal to play attacking football was disgraceful."

Back