EPL Matchday 1

Chelsea aren't very good defensively and they also look short of goals up top. Will be interesting to see how they go this season. Rookie manager too in the top flight.
You should be a pundit.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
We've actually created enough chances, but United have been far more clinical and this depleted Chelsea side are far too easy to cut through.

Shades of the Bournemouth reverse at the start of the year, actually.

I wasn't really sold on Lampard's appointment and I'm surprised that he didn't set the side up more conservatively, but I'm not sure we can judge him until 5-10 games into the season. If we wind up replicating 2015/16 form after 10 games, then I'll be worried.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Scoreline flattered Utd a little. Chelsea definitely the better side for the first half and could’ve been as much as 2 up. Low expectations so we’ll see what it’s like 10 games in, rather than judging our entire campaign on the opening away game at Old Trafford..

Wan bisaka was great defensively but doesn’t really give much working forward needs to work on that

James caused problems with his pace enthusiasm was great after the goal happy for the kid

Slabhead calm on the ball and won pretty much every aerial ball still not worth what we paid but * me it was good to have a competent cb again

Can’t complain about 3 points and 4 goals but we were utter gash for 60 mins

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Sounds weird given the scoreline but I didn't mind that performance. Felt it flattered United as we had chances and I enjoyed how we played but we just weren't clinical unlike them. Positive signs but we really need Rudiger and Kante back as our CBs and Jorginho were ordinary.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gonna be a long season for Chelsea I think.

A long way to go obviously but I'm surprised they were favourites for 4th place ahead of Arsenal and United going in to the season. They have no attack, I think even making the top 6 is going to be a challenge.

They've sold their best player and replaced him with a striker from the Championship. The propaganda around Chelsea playing their 'exciting youth' is mad. There's probably a reason they were all out on loan - they're not good enough.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
You should be a pundit.

Yesterday in the AFL game between Carlton and Richmond the special comments guy for the game was asked who will be Richmond’s second ruckman in the finals, “Nankervis or a Sean Grigg type”. The special comments person was Sean Grigg.

With punditry like that, I don’t know why more people don’t get into it.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
A long way to go obviously but I'm surprised they were favourites for 4th place ahead of Arsenal and United going in to the season. They have no attack, I think even making the top 6 is going to be a challenge.

They've sold their best player and replaced him with a striker from the Championship. The propaganda around Chelsea playing their 'exciting youth' is mad. There's probably a reason they were all out on loan - they're not good enough.

In fairness, if Loftus-Cheek, CHO were playing and Kante and Pulisic started, the match would have been a lot closer than it was. Chelsea’s team was a mess. They’re a lot better than that.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
In fairness, if Loftus-Cheek, CHO we’re playing and Kante and Pulisic started, the match would have been a lot closer than it was. Chelsea’s team was a mess. They’re a lot better than that.
Rudiger and perhaps James at RB too. We are/can be a much better side than that one put out last night, but CF is a major worry though.

Top 4 is only a dream for this squad.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In fairness, if Loftus-Cheek, CHO were playing and Kante and Pulisic started, the match would have been a lot closer than it was. Chelsea’s team was a mess. They’re a lot better than that.

CHO has started four league games in his career, he's still a teenager. Pulisic was a benchwarmer at Dortmund and is 20. That's a lot of pressure to put on a couple of kids being the difference.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I said in jest earlier about unlucky Chelsea losing 4-0 whilst they were poor didn't deserve that much of a hiding. They'll play worse and get points. If they play that way (apart from the stupid Zouma tackle) away to Spurs or Arsenal it could be good enough to get a point. Two shots hitting the post at crucial scorelines, if either one goes in we are talking about a very different game.

The world infamous xG had the game at 2.3-0.9 to Utd including 1.0 for the penalty, so take that away and it's a very even game "statistically"

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Rudiger and perhaps James at RB too. We are/can be a much better side than that one put out last night, but CF is a major worry though.

Top 4 is only a dream for this squad.

That’s reasonable. It’s hard too with losing your best player and having a transfer ban so couldn’t refresh the side. Top 4 is likely a bridge too far.

CHO has started four league games in his career, he's still a teenager. Pulisic was a benchwarmer at Dortmund and is 20. That's a lot of pressure to put on a couple of kids being the difference.

That’s a good point. Both probably more prospects than the finished article at this stage. I like CHO, he will be a hell of a footballer if he stays grounded.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Wan bisaka was great defensively but doesn’t really give much working forward needs to work on that

James caused problems with his pace enthusiasm was great after the goal happy for the kid

Slabhead calm on the ball and won pretty much every aerial ball still not worth what we paid but fu** me it was good to have a competent cb again

Can’t complain about 3 points and 4 goals but we were utter gash for 60 mins

One of AWB's strengths in his Palace days was his going forward. Probably played conservatively in his first United appearance or playing to instructions. Let him settle in, you've got yourselves a star. Doesn't miss a tackle and loves going forward.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Yeah harsh on Chelsea, in now way was that scoreline a representation of how the game went, they probably should’ve been 2-1 up at HT, on another day they probably are, we were just more clinical going forward.

I think they’ll struggle as we will too, both teams are around the same mark, will struggle for a top 4 spot.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
I didn't think it would be defensively where Chelsea would have problems, but the time that Pogba especially had in midfield at times was a concern for them. They need Kante obviously. And when Pogba has that time and space he's so good at finding those finals balls, as he did in this game.

In saying that, I think it was a little harsh on Chelsea after hitting the woodwork a few times. Think we need a larger sample size to judge how they're goign to go under Lampard than just that game.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I said in jest earlier about unlucky Chelsea losing 4-0 whilst they were poor didn't deserve that much of a hiding. They'll play worse and get points. If they play that way (apart from the stupid Zouma tackle) away to Spurs or Arsenal it could be good enough to get a point. Two shots hitting the post at crucial scorelines, if either one goes in we are talking about a very different game.

The world infamous xG had the game at 2.3-0.9 to Utd including 1.0 for the penalty, so take that away and it's a very even game "statistically"
Standard United game under Old before the wheels fell off. Look gash but somehow score a goal and win. Only trouble is the wheels do fall off.

Back