EPL Matchday 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Standard United game under Old before the wheels fell off. Look gash but somehow score a goal and win. Only trouble is the wheels do fall off.
It's a crazy sport where single moments can change the game entirely. Post at 0-0 and then 0-1. Either goes in and it's a completely different game. And the 1 goal came from an inept piece of defending to concede the pen

Sounds weird given the scoreline but I didn't mind that performance. Felt it flattered United as we had chances and I enjoyed how we played but we just weren't clinical unlike them. Positive signs but we really need Rudiger and Kante back as our CBs and Jorginho were ordinary.

Chelsea were the better team for 65 minutes, could have been 3-1 up at half time.

That was a frustrating game to watch. United were excellent on the counter but jeez four zip flatters them. Chelsea looked by far the better team majority of the game but their finishing was poor/hitting the post/ de gea in the way.

I think Chelsea will be fine but they need to be able to finish those chances. Once they get kante/pulisic/ rudiger back in the eleven they’ll come good. Thought Mount looked good too. Will be keen to see more of him

He’s not wrong but it’s funny how he says he’s not using excuses by bringing those excuses up - so it’s contradictory. Let’s be honest, it’s something we’ve all done or do though
I've always thought "making excuses" referred to making things up that aren't really true to justify you doing something wrong. Not sure he's doing that.

He’s not wrong but it’s funny how he says he’s not using excuses by bringing those excuses up - so it’s contradictory. Let’s be honest, it’s something we’ve all done or do though
The way I read it was, he doesn’t want the excuses to be the primary reason we lost but they’re there for everyone to see. As he mentioned, we were clearly still in the game despite the players out so there’s no point using the personnel excuse (Although.. a fit Rudiger and Kante plus a bit more luck would’ve possibly had us 2 or 3 up). The coming week will give us more info, Liverpool and our first home game against a team potentially around our mark.

The way I read it was, he doesn’t want the excuses to be the primary reason we lost but they’re there for everyone to see. As he mentioned, we were clearly still in the game despite the players out so there’s no point using the personnel excuse (Although.. a fit Rudiger and Kante plus a bit more luck would’ve possibly had us 2 or 3 up). The coming week will give us more info, Liverpool and our first home game against a team potentially around our mark.
I don’t think Lampard is in the wrong to bring it up. I think if he keeps bringing it up (which I don’t think he will) then people will start to label it excuses. He has to protect his position though to an extent, but I think everyone is aware of the situation and the effect it will probably have on Chelsea’s season

I've always thought "making excuses" referred to making things up that aren't really true to justify you doing something wrong. Not sure he's doing that.
Making excuses is saying things like the wind changed direction during the game, even though it has a tiny affect on the outcome. Klopp is good at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Making excuses is saying things like the wind changed direction during the game, even though it has a tiny affect on the outcome. Klopp is good at that.

A bit like saying that you had the best season ever to have not won the Premier league….And that perhaps you're fated to never ever win one.
;)

He said I'm not gonna make excuses with injuries and all that. Then goes into how many players he has are injured haha.

Just thought it was funny. If he's not using an excuse don't mention all those players.

Whenever anyone says "I'm not making excuses" you can be pretty sure an excuse is just around the corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back