EPL Matchday 10 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

We never really smashed teams under Conte... there were the 4-0 against United and 5-0 against Everton but other than that it was pretty much just get the lead and protect it, from memory.

Get the lead is already a better game plan than we currently have.

That's not the bit I'm laughing at.
Proper manager?
Proper team?
Beat them 6-1 12 months ago with a past it manager?

The only non factual part of the above is the proper team piece.

And if this current one could carve them up last year with no key outgoings imo a Conte led side would be able to achieve even better. Throw in the added bit around how shot United's defence confidence is right now after conceding 11 goals in a little over 2.5 matches. Just about any side in the top half right now should score 4+ against them next week. Maguire and Shaw look like they wouldn't get a game for Northern Ireland right now the way they are exposed by their midfield/wingers. Spurs with Son-Kane-Lucas should be licking their lips to fill their boots next week, but with the Aldi AVB at the helm we will probably have 2 touches in the box and 1 shot on target

Proper manager?
Proper team?
Beat them 6-1 12 months ago with a past it manager?

The only non factual part of the above is the proper team piece.

And if this current one could carve them up last year with no key outgoings imo a Conte led side would be able to achieve even better. Throw in the added bit around how shot United's defence confidence is right now after conceding 11 goals in a little over 2.5 matches. Just about any side in the top half right now should score 4+ against them next week. Maguire and Shaw look like they wouldn't get a game for Northern Ireland right now the way they are exposed by their midfield/wingers. Spurs with Son-Kane-Lucas should be licking their lips to fill their boots next week, but with the Aldi AVB at the helm we will probably have 2 touches in the box and 1 shot on target

Guess I just find it funny that you look at one of the best managed and stocked sides in Liverpool and think "If only we had Conte and we'd be even better".

Guess I just find it funny that you look at one of the best managed and stocked sides in Liverpool and think "If only we had Conte and we'd be even better".
Have you had your morning coffee yet? I'm not sure how to be any clearer here. With Conte we wouldn't beat Liverpool. But I'd expect to beat United by 5+ next week.

Liverpool gave up doing more damage at Old Trafford after about 55 mins into today's game. I don't think that's up for any debate is it? If they were at Anfield I don't think they stop at 5, that is just my take. I feel like the buzz would have encouraged them to push on and find another couple of goals.

And I'd expect us with a competent new manager at home in front of fans to keep putting the foot to the throat after 55 mins and score more than the 5 Liverpool did today.

Where in that statement have I said either we'd win the league with Conte or we'd be better than Liverpool? Winning a game the week after a side has been smacked, by a bigger margin doesn't by default make you better than the side who beat them the week before.

Have you had your morning coffee yet? I'm not sure how to be any clearer here. With Conte we wouldn't beat Liverpool. But I'd expect to beat United by 5+ next week.

Liverpool gave up doing more damage at Old Trafford after about 55 mins into today's game. I don't think that's up for any debate is it? If they were at Anfield I don't think they stop at 5, that is just my take. I feel like the buzz would have encouraged them to push on and find another couple of goals.

And I'd expect us with a competent new manager at home in front of fans to keep putting the foot to the throat after 55 mins and score more than the 5 Liverpool did today.

Where in that statement have I said either we'd win the league with Conte or we'd be better than Liverpool? Winning a game the week after a side has been smacked, by a bigger margin doesn't by default make you better than the side who beat them the week before.

Have you? I have no idea what you're saying at this point. I found it funny that your first takeaway from Liverpool beating United is that you would do even better against United. Is that clearer for you? As Loons said, Conte isn't the sort to destroy a side 8-0, and just because you had a freak result against United isn't a baseline to measure your future performances against.

It was just a really weird connection and conclusion to draw.

What are peoples thoughts on the current state of the leagues depth? Like if you look at the fixtures to see what's on, for me Norwich and Watford I don't really care about. Burnley can **** off also. But apart from that, I'd probs go out of my way to tune in to watch everyone else, I reckon 17/20 is a higher number for me than most years.

Newcastle in 19th are obviously highly relevant at the minute, Leeds in 17th have lost their way but if they can sort it out, they are good to watch. Palace I'm surprised are not dead last after their contract problems over the off-season, good for them.

What are peoples thoughts on the current state of the leagues depth? Like if you look at the fixtures to see what's on, for me Norwich and Watford I don't really care about. Burnley can **** off also. But apart from that, I'd probs go out of my way to tune in to watch everyone else, I reckon 17/20 is a higher number for me than most years.

Newcastle in 19th are obviously highly relevant at the minute, Leeds in 17th have lost their way but if they can sort it out, they are good to watch. Palace I'm surprised are not dead last after their contract problems over the off-season, good for them.
I find Watford pretty fun to watch even before Ranieri took over. You never know what you'll get but they are generally a fun watch.

If I didn't follow Spurs we'd be up there with the least worthy of watching for a neutral. Norwich are a waste of time. Burnley always one to avoid watching. Wolves now are pretty good to watch. Newcastle with ASM is good fun too.

Palace the last couple of years have changed their way from signing old boring safe players for Roy to signing some exciting talent. Eze still to come back in too. Olise, Ferguson, Edouard, Mitchell, Gallagher and Eze to go with Zaha makes for exciting times for Palace fans

That’s a very arrogant call …you can’t be serious?

That’s a very arrogant call …you can’t be serious?
Outside of Liverpool's front 3 who stopped trying to score after 50 mins and 5 goals, we've got the next best attacking duo in Kane and Son. With a world class manager it's not a big call that we could score heavily against this current United midfield and defence. We did it last year with Mourinho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of Liverpool's front 3 who stopped trying to score after 50 mins and 5 goals, we've got the next best attacking duo in Kane and Son. With a world class manager it's not a big call that we could score heavily against this current United midfield and defence. We did it last year with Mourinho.
No team can expect to score 4-5 goals in a game especially against a more talented team. Extraordinary!

I just don't know why you're persisting with this bizarre narrative. We beat Peterborough 3-0 last season at home and lost to them 2-1 this season! Results and games do not predict future performance! To think that you should expect to be able to win by 7 or 8 against United purely because of how you did last season and because Liverpool stopped trying after 60 minutes is just so nonsensical.

Nope, not doing it to myself this week.

May reconsider watching Everton again when Rondon is no longer in the starting lineup.

No team can expect to score 4-5 goals in a game especially against a more talented team. Extraordinary!
United this week have been made to look anything but talented defensively. Carved open by Leicester, had worries at home against Atalanta and then belted by Liverpool in 50 mins. With Varane not back any time soon, what changes in the next week to solve their defensive mess? I'll tell you what will. Playing against a world class front pair with an average at best defensive manager in Nuno.

The pre game analysis today showing what their problems to look out for from the previous 2 games, and they were there to see again today. The absolute ease and exact way the pundits called out how they could crumble through Shaw-Maguire being left to look hopeless thanks to their CMs and front players was amazing to see. And I think Carragher post match summed it up well that Liverpool didn't even need to play that well today and didn't really hit their best levels and they scored 5 in 50 mins.

As one Arsenal poster put it earlier, this was as bad as they can remember some of the worst Arsenal defending in the Mustafi days. And I have to agree with a Spurs perspective this was like watching Fazio, Paulinho and Chiriches try and be top 4 quality footballers. I rate all of the sides from 4th-10th outside of United and Spurs and would back them all to put 4 past United next week, and none of them have anything near Son & Kane's quality.

Top half is deeper and the worse teams look more s**t compared to previous seasons atm.

That said if you get complacent, you can drop down the table pretty quickly also.

Not exactly like you did either. Just marginally less sh*t.
I mean did we deserve to win say 3-0 no, but we defended well and made it difficult for you. If you stop Son from running in behind you, you don't look like scoring atm.

A better team could have beaten us though as you say, which probably says more about how far you've fallen in 2.5 years really.

United this week have been made to look anything but talented defensively. Carved open by Leicester, had worries at home against Atalanta and then belted by Liverpool in 50 mins. With Varane not back any time soon, what changes in the next week to solve their defensive mess? I'll tell you what will. Playing against a world class front pair with an average at best defensive manager in Nuno.

The pre game analysis today showing what their problems to look out for from the previous 2 games, and they were there to see again today. The absolute ease and exact way the pundits called out how they could crumble through Shaw-Maguire being left to look hopeless thanks to their CMs and front players was amazing to see. And I think Carragher post match summed it up well that Liverpool didn't even need to play that well today and didn't really hit their best levels and they scored 5 in 50 mins.

As one Arsenal poster put it earlier, this was as bad as they can remember some of the worst Arsenal defending in the Mustafi days. And I have to agree with a Spurs perspective this was like watching Fazio, Paulinho and Chiriches try and be top 4 quality footballers. I rate all of the sides from 4th-10th outside of United and Spurs and would back them all to put 4 past United next week, and none of them have anything near Son & Kane's quality.

No pressure on Spurs at all this week.

Top half is deeper and the worse teams look more sh*t compared to previous seasons atm.

That said if you get complacent, you can drop down the table pretty quickly also.
Top 3 have quality squads and managers.

After that you've got United and Spurs who have fallen back to the pack
United have quality attackers, no midfield and a suspect manager.
Spurs have quality attackers, no midfield and a manager who doesn't suit.

From West Ham through Arsenal they're all capable of finishing ahead of both Utd and Spurs. As West Ham and Leicester showed last year. But I think there's probably still weaknesses in both their squads that might make it tough to finish 4th and handle the extra European football.

This all comes back to my original post saying if we had a world class manager I'd be very confident we'd spank you.

But we don't. We've got a worse version of Mourinho who is actually the perfect tactical style for you guys to play your counter perfectly. We'll be lucky to have the ball in the oppositions box let alone the net. You'll let us have the ball as we will do nothing with it. Kane will get less than 15 touches and barely any of those will be in the attacking half. You'll eventually win it back and expose Dier on the break and beat us.

He's just using it as an excuse to mope about Nuno because if they had someone good they'd be winning every game 10-0 and PL champions by now.

This all comes back to my original post saying if we had a world class manager I'd be very confident we'd spank you.

But we don't. We've got a worse version of Mourinho who is actually the perfect tactical style for you guys to play your counter perfectly. We'll be lucky to have the ball in the oppositions box let alone the net. You'll let us have the ball as we will do nothing with it. Kane will get less than 15 touches and barely any of those will be in the attacking half. You'll eventually win it back and expose Dier on the break and beat us.

No no, you'd beat them by more than the best attacking side in the league did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back