EPL Matchday 13

RossFC

May 23, 2012
Alberton Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
A linesman 30 yards away who thinks this is clearly offside isn't adjudicating the rule well

View attachment 784144
He didn't think it's clearly offside, he said it was worth having a look at VAR after the play finished.

The flag is down during the play so it's not stopping anyone. His decision doesn't rule out the goal because VAR will make the decision, He's just telling everyone early that it's possibly offside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
But his call is either a guess or he thought something was clear that wasn't. Either way it's a bad call because it's not a clear offside and the computer proved that
So? It's still offside so his call was right. Why do you have in your head that linesman are only meant to flag clear offsides?

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
We can't go back to offside goals being counted almost every week. All they can do is just try to improve the tech to make the close calls look clearer.
To be honest I did like the suggestion that people are happy for VAR to intervene for obvious offsides, and not for minute ones. The solution being ditch the tech and use replays to judge offside just like any other foul. If it's clear and obvious, overturn it, if you can't determine it with the naked eye, then allow it.

Then you get rid of the obvious errors like Chelsea v Cardiff without making it a buzzkill.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
To be honest I did like the suggestion that people are happy for VAR to intervene for obvious offsides, and not for minute ones. The solution being ditch the tech and use replays to judge offside just like any other foul. If it's clear and obvious, overturn it, if you can't determine it with the naked eye, then allow it.

Then you get rid of the obvious errors like Chelsea v Cardiff without making it a buzzkill.
My thoughts exactly. If you need computer analysis to call an offside than let it go. If you can pick up an offside with the naked eye by all means disallow a goal.

jd2010

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The new rule states any contact with the arm that creates a goalscoring opportunity by the attacking team must be penalised. Stupid rule for me.
Dont get me wrong love Utd copping it but this should have been called then

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
He doesn't need to flag anything VAR checks all goals
Id rather he flags his opinion straight after the play than just let it go to VAR. At least then the fans and players know that there is every chance it wont be a goal and to not celebrate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
Timperley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
The linesman raised his flag well after the goal, and only after Atkinson went over to speak to him.

If you look at the footage the goal is scored at 92.46 and the flag is raised at 93.37, nearly a minute after.

I don't know why the FA said that it was an on field decision. What is irritating me much more than the actual decisions is the authorities talking utter bollocks to justify another shit decision.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Newcastle were lucky we didn't put 4-5 past them. That should have at least been 3-0 with Wesley's shot at Dubravka but Konsa also should have scored his header in the second half as well as a number of other opportunities not being taken.

We looked alright but Newcastle were trash so I won't judge too much on this one. We've looked decent all season but keep giving away late goals with loss of concentration.

We should be alright to survive.

Top Bottom