EPL Matchday 13

Remove this Banner Ad

fu** VAR. The ball had already left Mahrez when the line is drawn.

VAR has made football so ******* confusing. Before it, we’d need one replay to see that someone was onside or offside. The other week I saw a goal scorer that looked miles onside but the goal was ruled out and the angle they ended up showing had the goal scorer definitely offside. I get they have different angles and they draw lines but to the naked eye it is confusing.

These 10mm calls are a joke.

Put the offside rule back in the hands of the linesman. Use VAR to check goals and eliminate the howlers.

It should not be this hard.
Var has made the game worse imo, like you said keep it for the blatant howlers (offiside included) and scrap it for the rest

The point with these miniscule offside decisions is that it’s very difficult to pinpoint the exact moment the ball leaves the boot. So all this forensic analysis for such close ones is more or less redundant.
There should be a margin of error applied to offside for this exact reason. 2.5cm either side. Essentially making it a 5cm grey zone where it's linesman call rather than a singular black and white line

Palace away always a sphincter tightening fixture for Reds fans. They’re a dangerous side, very awkward to deal with. Last night was no different. Loathe to say it wasn’t a good performance from us because I think Palace deserve more respect than that.

VAR decision to disallow Tomkins goal was correct, unless players are now allowed to shove each other over in the penalty area, in which case corners just became a whole lot more entertaining.

Zaha & Townsend excellent, encapsulated in Zaha’s goal. Both have surely done their penance and warrant being poached by a Champions League side. Great assets for Palace.

Tie between Van Dijk & Mané for our MOTM.

It’s funny people are still saying we’ve been lucky this season and we’re having jammy wins every week, I think we’re beyond that now aren’t we? City obviously had their phenomenal run over last 2 years, and you had the Invincibles Arsenal side in the mid-2000s, has another side matched that (^) level of consistency over such a long period in the Premier League era? I can’t think of one.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find themselves not celebrating a goal with full gusto as before now? With so many “goals” being chalked off after a VAR check it’s definitely impacted that aspect for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else find themselves not celebrating a goal with full gusto as before now? With so many “goals” being chalked off after a VAR check it’s definitely impacted that aspect for me.
Definitely. It's the first thing I think of after a goal.

Celebrations when it's given are more relief than excitement/joy.

There should be a margin of error applied to offside for this exact reason. 2.5cm either side. Essentially making it a 5cm grey zone where it's linesman call rather than a singular black and white line

Linesman flagged it as offside anyway.

Linesman flagged it as offside anyway.
The linesman flagged the Sterling one? How can he be so sure when it's that close? I thought they were supposed to keep it down in these situations and let VAR have a look.

Then he needs to be stood down for guessing. Benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker. I was talking more in general for that sort of umpires call rule being applied
Was it possibly because he was coming back from an offside position?
Went back and saw the footage, He did come from an offside position. Turns out the linesman flagged AFTER (not during) the play finished to say that he reckons it's offside, which is the correct thing to do.

Jammy win that but I'll take it. Palace were good value for a point but we just refuse to drop points. Mentality monsters.

Now to enjoy City v Chelsea.

chef please help. :)
I don't think a pastry chef who lives in country Victoria was going to be of any assistance.

Expected result. We didn't play badly, just simply outclassed.
Tomori has dropped off his early season form, could be fatigue.

Not too displeased with that though, all things considered.
He does look like he needs a bit of a rest. Rudiger still looks a couple of weeks ago so I'd be starting Christensen against West Ham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back