EPL Matchday 13

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Phil Jones wasn't bad in his first two seasons under Fergie. Ok probably the first. Would make powerful speedy runs, get assists, defend reasonably. Or its all in my imagination

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Phil Jones wasn't bad in his first two seasons under Fergie. Ok probably the first. Would make powerful speedy runs, get assists, defend reasonably. Or its all in my imagination

He was decent under SAF, has never been a solid defender and is just incredible he is still at the club.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Humans make errors. Clearly this linesman believed there was an offside offence. He waited until the play finished before flagging which was also the correct thing to do. Can't blame the lino at all in this instance.
If he thought that was clearly offside then either that's a bigger worry because he is seeing things . Sterling was barely proven to be offside by a computer with a margin for error so how he could think it's clearly offside is beyond me.

This is a lot like the Son goal against Leicester. At least on that occasssion the linesman didn't guess or get it massively wrong because it's not clearly offside and again a computer show's its less than the few cms that it guesses itself.

If he thought that was clearly offside then either that's a bigger worry because he is seeing things . Sterling was barely proven to be offside by a computer with a margin for error so how he could think it's clearly offside is beyond me.

This is a lot like the Son goal against Leicester. At least on that occasssion the linesman didn't guess or get it massively wrong because it's not clearly offside and again a computer show's its less than the few cms that it guesses itself.
Flagging after the play is fine, He's just telling the ref he reckons VAR should check for offside. As long as he doesn't flag during the play, which he didn't.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Onto today's VAR controversy. How's McBurnie's that different to Gabriel Jesus against Spurs earlier this season or Sissoko in the CL final? I think I might have read the rules changed between seasons so maybe that's why today's and Sissoko's were different but Jesus' and this one?

He doesn't need to flag anything VAR checks all goals
It's just a bit of visual communication. When the players and fans see a flag up straight away when the play ends then everyone knows immediately it's a possibility it could be offside, rather than celebrating for 30 seconds and then having a review out of the blue.

You keep saying clearly as if a linesman has to think there's space between the attacker and defender. Give it a rest or learn the rules. This line of argument is bizarre.

He doesn't need to flag anything VAR checks all goals
He does, because it's exactly what you began by wanting, that is, refs indicating their call to allow for an "umpires call" system.

Onto today's VAR controversy. How's McBurnie's that different to Gabriel Jesus against Spurs earlier this season or Sissoko in the CL final? I think I might have read the rules changed between seasons so maybe that's why today's and Sissoko's were different but Jesus' and this one?
Its a fine line but I think Laporte was arm, McBurnie more shoulder. Not much in it though and I was expecting it to be ruled out.

It's another rule that just doesn't work. One rule for an attacker, totally different one for a defender. That can't be right.

Scrap it.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Its a fine line but I think Laporte was arm, McBurnie more shoulder. Not much in it though and I was expecting it to be ruled out.

It's another rule that just doesn't work. One rule for an attacker, totally different one for a defender. That can't be right.

Scrap it.
Lets not take away from the joy of it being allowed but I can't see how that was less handball than Laporte's. If anything this would be worse because it directly helped the goalscorer, Laporte's could have gone anywhere

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
He does, because it's exactly what you began by wanting, that is, refs indicating their call to allow for an "umpires call" system.
But his call is either a guess or he thought something was clear that wasn't. Either way it's a bad call because it's not a clear offside and the computer proved that

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
A linesman 30 yards away who thinks this is clearly offside isn't adjudicating the rule well

1574629398524.png

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

Scrap it.

Agree that it should be scrapped, gives unfair advantage to the defending team. Treat all handballs the same no matter what part of the field.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Lets not take away from the joy of it being allowed but I can't see how that was less handball than Laporte's. If anything this would be worse because it directly helped the goalscorer, Laporte's could have gone anywhere

The new rule states any contact with the arm that creates a goalscoring opportunity by the attacking team must be penalised. Stupid rule for me.

A linesman 30 yards away who thinks this is clearly offside isn't adjudicating the rule well

View attachment 784144
He didn't think it's clearly offside, he said it was worth having a look at VAR after the play finished.

The flag is down during the play so it's not stopping anyone. His decision doesn't rule out the goal because VAR will make the decision, He's just telling everyone early that it's possibly offside.

But his call is either a guess or he thought something was clear that wasn't. Either way it's a bad call because it's not a clear offside and the computer proved that

So? It's still offside so his call was right. Why do you have in your head that linesman are only meant to flag clear offsides?

Back