EPL Matchday 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Leicester back into second spot. Where do people sit on Brendan Rodgers these days?

Always been a polarising figure. I recall when his name was in the ring for the Arsenal and Chelsea jobs back in 2019 many fans of those clubs were mortified (fraud riding on Suarez' coat tails seemed to be a pretty commonly held opinion although the tide was turning).

Is that still the case or if either club were to be hunting for a new manager in the near future would they be happy to see him take the reins?
Has been mentioned on AFTV as a possible guy to take over from Arteta. I think everyone has slowly come to the party with Rodgers. Did well at Swansea and Liverpool. Dominated in Scotland which was to be expected but returned to the PL and has Leicester playing really well.

Not sure why some posters are so desperate to talk Fernandes down. Has been a great signing for Utd (annoyingly so) and is quality. Kind of similar to how Coutinho transformed us back in 2013.

Also strange coincidence that when we were belted 7-2 by Villa Utd copped 6 on the same MD. Now we score 7 and them 6 on the same MD.

Has been mentioned on AFTV as a possible guy to take over from Arteta. I think everyone has slowly come to the party with Rodgers. Did well at Swansea and Liverpool. Dominated in Scotland which was to be expected but returned to the PL and has Leicester playing really well.
Not sure he would want to take a step back in his career

Who cares what Lee Datsun thinks.

Leicester back into second spot. Where do people sit on Brendan Rodgers these days?

Always been a polarising figure. I recall when his name was in the ring for the Arsenal and Chelsea jobs back in 2019 many fans of those clubs were mortified (fraud riding on Suarez' coat tails seemed to be a pretty commonly held opinion although the tide was turning).

Is that still the case or if either club were to be hunting for a new manager in the near future would they be happy to see him take the reins?
Could be wrong but wasnt the fraud thing more from Pool supporters? Only good on the back of SAS.

Not sure he was ever in the ring for us, Sarri leaving and Frank coming in was was all tye talk IIRC.

But in saying that i like Brendan and if the players backed him he'd do a good at a biggger club.

Well they have already won 5 games which is an many games as Fulham, Burnley, WBA and Sheffield United have managed together so yeah they actually win games.

Most of those wins coming against those sides, good on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ince is a ******* moron. I have no idea how he can seriously argue that is not a red for Livermore.

On first viewing I agree with Owen, on replays I agree with Ince. It's reckless so a yellow is probably sufficient, but he doesn't make contact and he actually takes the ball. The stretch out makes it look more like a kicking motion but you can see it's so he can wrap his foot around the ball. If he had made any contact with Grealish's ankle though I would agree it was a red much like Lundstram's.

On first viewing I agree with Owen, on replays I agree with Ince. It's reckless so a yellow is probably sufficient, but he doesn't make contact and he actually takes the ball. The stretch out makes it look more like a kicking motion but you can see it's so he can wrap his foot around the ball. If he had made any contact with Grealish's ankle though I would agree it was a red much like Lundstram's.
Think he did catch him

He does catch him on the calf and whether he gets the ball is irrelevant. It is high, dangerous, and reckless.

Would absolutely take Rodgers at Arsenal if he became available. I do think he is a quality manager and is perhaps dismissed a bit too harshly. As has been mentioned though, Arsenal are a medium to long term project and that may make the position even less appealing.

It's like the people who say DCL has been lucky this season with the goals he's scored, as if it's luck to consistently be in the right place.

Just because Fernandes gets a lot of assists which are square passes doesn't mean he's not perfectly weighting the ball and lining up the perfect opportunity for a team mate to smash in a goal.
I've never said he's been lucky and I don't think anyone has (apart from that one he scored off his back). All you have to do is look at his shooting from outside the 6 yard box.. makes Dean Windass look world class. That and his ability to almost screw up a tap in (like hitting it with the back of his foot and rolling over the line at slow speed.). It's a valid knock on his game. I use stats to knock anyones game or talk up another players game. I don't make s**t up. Does the Spurs defender who headed the ball clear to Son last year v Burnley deserve an assist? He gets one, but it's not like he actually set the goal up. Same with Bruno last night on McTominay.

I've never said he's been lucky and I don't think anyone has (apart from that one he scored off his back). All you have to do is look at his shooting from outside the 6 yard box.. makes Dean Windass look world class. That and his ability to almost screw up a tap in (like hitting it with the back of his foot and rolling over the line at slow speed.). It's a valid knock on his game. I use stats to knock anyones game or talk up another players game. I don't make sh*t up. Does the Spurs defender who headed the ball clear to Son last year v Burnley deserve an assist? He gets one, but it's not like he actually set the goal up. Same with Bruno last night on McTominay.

I genuinely wasn't referring to you was just the first player that came to mind that has similar lazy comments.

And bugger off, Windass was World Class.

Would absolutely take Rodgers at Arsenal if he became available. I do think he is a quality manager and is perhaps dismissed a bit too harshly. As has been mentioned though, Arsenal are a medium to long term project and that may make the position even less appealing.
I think what happens with Rodgers is that he gets a team going well and when they look like they will achieve something, they bottle it. Whether that's the manager or the players who knows but it's consistent with all 3 teams he's last managed. Liverpool we know, Celtic bottled Champions League and Europa League under him despite all the domestic trophies. Leicester bottled the end of last season to drop from UCL almost guaranteed to UEL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back